Caravan Club site ice cream prices !

camperjohn

I know everything pricewise keeps going up - but I was a bit gobsmacked on my first trip this year to a CC site, to be charged £1.65 for a Cornetto (typical shop price £1.30) , and £2.10 for a Magnum (typical shop price £1.65). Are individual CC site wardens able to set their own prices, or does the Caravan Club need a markup which can only be called EXTORTIONATE ?

We were stung at Broadway just over a week ago. I am sure whatever is sold on a CC site is warden organised. Because their ice cream fridges are supplied by the manufacturer I expect they have no choice on where they buy them so I expect they are paying a lot more for them than they would if they went to the local Tesco. It does seem they are making the maximum out of their little franchise!!!

David

As with a lot of things at places like this, the demand is small so the cost is high ... the answer is simple really ... don't buy them but either take your own (you do have a freezer don't you?) or potter to the local shop and get one. B-)

Your paying for the convenience of being able to get them on site rather than treck up the road for them ! and they probably dont buy in bulk that is the only way to keep prices down :-D I dont mind paying a little extra when on hols;

Gwendolyn - 2012-04-07 11:17 PM

That was because you were in a motorhome [i take it that you were, as this is in Motorhome Matters?]. It IS the Caravan Club after all. No doubt they charge tuggers less.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

What I object to about my (ONCE ONLY I CAN ASSURE YOU) extortionate purchase (at the Kendal site) was that the prices of the ices weren't displayed on the freezer - but behind the paydesk with the wardens - so one had already committed oneself to a purchase - icecreams in hand- when one learnt the amazing price . Rather a naughty "sale by embarrassment " technique I think. Also I wasn't offered or given a receipt . A bit of a VAT issue I suspect here.

I don't grudge NORMAL markups - I just really object to being blatantly RIPPED OFF ! Kendal CC site isn't near any alternative shops. I'm NOT comparing these CC prices with TESCO -- If my local sole trader newsagent can sell these ices at the normal shop prices (as they DO), with no bulk purchase discounts either, I don't see why CC wardens can't.

camperjohn - 2012-04-09 4:41 PM

....I just really object to being blatantly RIPPED OFF !

Just a pity you didn't fel strong enough not to buy 'em though, eh!?... *-)

..as for no reciept being issued...well,were you intending to submit it toyour accountant,so they could claim you the VAT back..? (lol) (lol)

camperjohn - 2012-04-07 3:29 PM

I know everything pricewise keeps going up - but I was a bit gobsmacked on my first trip this year to a CC site, to be charged £1.65 for a Cornetto (typical shop price £1.30) , and £2.10 for a Magnum (typical shop price £1.65). Are individual CC site wardens able to set their own prices, or does the Caravan Club need a markup which can only be called EXTORTIONATE ?

I checked the prices for a Magnum and a Cornetto at the ice-cream van at a car boot sale yesterday, the Magnum was £1.75 and the Cornetto £1.50, so your Cornetto wasn't that much more bearing in mind the much lower sale volume they'll have, but your Magnum was a bit OTT.

Retread24800 - 2012-04-07 11:11 PM£1.65 each? Come over here for your holidays............. Lidl price €1.99 for 12 (6 vanille & 6 chocolate).

Or you could pop over to the Czech Republic where Lidl also sell them for 35 Crowns for the 12 pack, that's about £1.28 at todays rate!!!

The items for sale on CC sites are arranged by the Warden's and not the Club. They are provided for your convenience and include milk,eggs, some groceries, icecream and gas. Always check the prices before you buy..

I am off to Shepton Mallet this week end and I am busy arranging a large overdraft in anticipation of buying some chips or a meat roll.

Seriously though, in all walks of life things are priced according to sale and demand. On a CC site it may be more convenient to buy your ice cream there but you will have to pay more for that convenience. Its the same with buying food at any show.

If you think these prices are bad, dont go to a Rock concert hungry, or a football match etc etc. Oh, and dont expect to pay less in a pub for soft drinks either. Recently a pint of a well known diet cola cost me more than a pint of real ale. It seems that in some places, if you drive, not only can you not get drunk, you have to pay to stay sober.

Bill

Archived