Returning home from Spain in an Emergency

Mardee

We were in Spain last month when my Mother died and we had to return home.

We looked at the option of leaving the van and flying home and contacted Caravanguard our insurer for advice.

We were told we would have to go to a secure parking area or campsite and then would have to phone them when we arrived to check if it met the necessary criteria laid down by the insurance company.

We decided to cut our trip short and drove home.

Has anyone else had similar experiences

Thank you

Margaret and David

Sorry to hear of your loss Margaret and David, we havent but every time we go away we know it could be a possibility, having a M.I.L of 98 , thanks for letting us know what to expect if it did happen, like you though I think we would just head home in the van.

Hi

My mum died last year when we were in Turkey. We decided to drive home as my dad seemed to be coping and my childreni were supporting him. However we then got stuckinGreece because of a seamens strike so it took about 2 weeks to get home.

I would not leave my van abroad, for me the extra worry of security along with the stresses of the event would be too much. I lived a few hours frommy parents when in theUK and had learnt that I can sort most things using the phone and Internet.

Regards

Peter

People who overwinter regularly leave their vans to return home for Xmas for example. But there are always people around who will keep an eye on their vans and arguably that is at least as safe as any other form of security.

Whether this meets insurance companies requirements is doubtful but my inclination would be to avoid telling insurance companies about a temporary trip home as that will always result in a response that will err totally on the side of caution.

Hi

Seems to be a Sad but popular thing as my Mother died 18 months ago when we were in South of France, never thought of leaving Van there, but with organising funeral etc. would of had to be for a few weeks. Just used tolls for the 1st time and drove back, took 2 days.

Sorry for all you losses

Sorry to hear about your sad loss especially with the added stress of being abroad. I think you were wise not to leave your van abroad as the insurance companies can be very underhand with their small print. I was insured with Caravanguard until I found out by accident that it was not insured parked alongside the house in France if I was not sleeping in it! However, I could park it outside a hotel and sleep in there for several days??? It doesn't make sense as I am in one of the safest areas of France, never lock the door nor ny French registered car. Had to change to Saga.

The other restriction with most insurance companies is that you can only leave the van unattended for 36 hours.

Archived