Parked up campers

nightrider

like a lot of campers and motorhomes mine is parked up most of the time apart from the occasional run, what do others do with regard to the leisure and main vehicle batteries?

If the van is parked up you could say it was as though it was on site, do you hook it up to keep the batteries trickle charged?

I tend to keep our's "physically" hooked-up... and then every 10-14 days,just switch the socket on at the wall in the house and leave on charge overnight,just to keep things topped up...

It may or may not be the correct thing to do(..I'm sure someone on here will let me know.. ;-) )

My caravan is parked next to my garage. I have a permanent lead connected to the van. When I switch the garage light on at night it also supplies power to the caravan for charging. So usually on for 6/8 hours a day depending on time of year.

David

Fully charge our leisure batteries then put caravan into storage, disconnect batteries and leave.

Collect caravan four or five months later, batteries are about one third down, recharge, clean van out and away.

Done this for the past four years with no problems.

I tell the Co-pilot that it don't do it any good just to stand around and not be used.

Try and go away every month, if only for a long-weekend.

Inbetween time it is always on the mains, but not necesserily on charge. I lke to leave a fan heater on frost setting thro the cold months and give the batteries a charge every week or so.

HWO

My Van lives in a secure compound with no access to hook up. The alarm drains (or would drain) the vehicle battery. Solution is a solar panel with a batterymaster connected between the vehicle and leisure batteries. I monitored the voltages of both batteries through the cold winter period and both batteries were more or less fully charged consistently.

Archived