Motorhome Insurance after Heart attack

Geoff Tuckley

Hi, Folks,

Having just been discharged from hospital after my first, and hopefully last, heart attack, I am sitting here thinking about picking up the pieces.

I think that maybe I have to inform DVLA of my situation as the hospital said I cannot drive for six weeks.

The big question is "What to do about insurance?" as this will surely be a good opportunity for those bandits we call insurance companies to whack up the premium on every policy we have even though since surgery I am hopefully in better shape than before I went in.

I am sure that one or two of you must have been in this situation and I really need to know what I might do about the motor insurance on our motorhome. My wife does not drive it so the insurance has to be in my name and is due at the end of this month.

Thanks in anticipation

Geoff Tuckley - 2012-04-09 10:45 AM

Hi, Folks,

Having just been discharged from hospital after my first, and hopefully last, heart attack, I am sitting here thinking about picking up the pieces.

I think that maybe I have to inform DVLA of my situation as the hospital said I cannot drive for six weeks.

The big question is "What to do about insurance?" as this will surely be a good opportunity for those bandits we call insurance companies to whack up the premium on every policy we have even though since surgery I am hopefully in better shape than before I went in.

I am sure that one or two of you must have been in this situation and I really need to know what I might do about the motor insurance on our motorhome. My wife does not drive it so the insurance has to be in my name and is due at the end of this month.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Geoff

Sorry to hear about your health but glad to hear you're recovering.

I've had 2 attacks and had 3 stents fitted about 3 years ago now. Full recovery is normal so don't worry about it just take your time. Like you say you shouldn't drive for a good 6 weeks.

Re insurance, never been a problem, put it in the questionaire under existing illness and as far as I'm aware have had no extra premium. Nor on the bike or cars either. My wife is diabetic and has had kidney cancer which resulted in losing a kidney but once again has not affected any premiums. Sometimes DVLA restrict licence to 3 years but it is of no detriment.

Get well soon

Mike

i also have had 2 heart attacks and a stent fitted,insurance were advised of this but no increase of premium,just make sure you tell your insurance company everthing.or your insurance could be invalid in the event of a claim.

Guest Tracker

A lucky escape Geoff - sorry to hear and good luck for the future - those who survive their first heart attack are very often a better future risk than those who are still waiting for their first because the condition then becomes a known and better controlled condition - so you have already cleared the first hurdle!

Most insurers take the view that if you are declared medically fit to drive they are happy enough - but you must tell them and you must not drive without medical clearance other wise your insurance will probably be void and you would effectively be driving without insurance.

Not that I am suggesting for one minute you would - but the advice applies to everyone who might consider taking a few short cuts in the hope of getting away with it - it ain't worth the risk.

Hey, Thanks Everybody,

The comments are really cheering. I was of the opinion that the premiums would go up as the companies do not need much of an excuse to raise them under most circumstances. I will,of course, get clearance from the doc before doing anything like driving. Have had to postpone our May trip to Spain but that is a small price to pay for being ok at the end of all this.

Hate to tempt fate but things are going in the right direction now. I am just impatient to get back to normal, with a more careful diet of course.

There is an answer for everything on this forum. I bet if you said you had been abducted by aliens there would be some good advice forthcoming.

Thanks again everyone

Guest Tracker
Geoff Tuckley - 2012-04-09 6:01 PM

I bet if you said you had been abducted by aliens there would be some good advice forthcoming.

Thanks again everyone

And not without good cause - some on here have been abducted by aliens but sent back to Earth as being too argumentative and ornery to be of any value to anyone else either!

Archived