O.K GARDEN TALK

maggyd

Im sick of the squabbling so lets talk gardening :-D who grows from seed and what do you do with them if you pop away for a few days?

I usually buy plug plants but this year decided to grow a few from seeds like I used to before we got the M.H the only problem is my O.H who isnt as in to gardening as I am is complaining I havent booked a site yet :-S we are booked for our main trip ie; tunnel were off for six week, s but by them I will have planted my borders up and they can take their chances.

So any tips ideas will be grtefully received.

Guest peter
I grow all my plants from seed and harvest them when they come into flower as the thc is as it's highest then and makes for the best smoking experience. It's a bit hard trying to convince the neighbours that they are tomato plants in my greenhouse though. How do you grow your weed then Maggyd?. (lol) (lol) (lol)

Margaret --

I too like to start threads about pastimes (hopefully related to motorhoming) -- see mine on (1) Classical music & (2) wine, recently -- rather than 'squabbles' -- although they can be fun too!

I was sorry to see that no-one (except Peter after 10.00. p.m. -- and he used to tell us what that means!) (lol) has taken your 'bait' -- Mel B has been gardening of late, I thought that she might 'happen along' with some hints & tips!

The only seeds that we regularly sow are vegetables, usually in the greenhouse, runner beans, leeks, sweetcorn, etc., in trays or pots, usually with a cover of solid plastic or polythene to conserve water, somtimes with a 'drip-feed' mechanism to ensure that they don't dry out.This will usually suffice (particularly if the seeds have not come up before we leave) for up to a week, sometimes more.

Apart from sweet peas, we don't usually sow flower seeds, annuals and the like, for borders, pots or hanging baskets, most of the ornamental garden being given over to trees, shrubs, shrub roses (my favourite) or perennials.Your picture doesn't show a lawn, Maggy -- perhaps the problem is K9P? :D

If all else fails, we have a very helpful (working) neighbour, who will 'keep an eye' and water if

neccessary!

Cheers, happy cultivating!

Colin.

Guest pelmetman

This is my recycled double glazed, self watering greenhouse :D

Mind you we have cut back a lot on what we grow now that we go away more ;-).........and have started growing rockery plants in our hanging baskets as they seem to put up with not being watered for long periods :D

I used to have Green Thumb, but their stuff mean't I was cutting the grass 3 times a week 8-)

DSCN0284.JPG.d8767f9a1ff56d145d2dfbd3c4b661e3.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-) Colin

you notice we dont have grass just block paving and patios, but that was all done by the previous owner, we dont mind it at all as I can grow in pots and I do have deep borders with a couple of tree,s Acers and magnolia, its fine for the dogs although one a male manages to cock his leg on the tree,s and the female goes on the raised borders which are easily cleaned up.

I like the idea of a self watering greenhouse !! how does that work then?

Im going to have to stand my seed trays on some matting to keep them damp and stand the dahlias/, echinacia (sp) and geraniums on saucers filled with water they should be alright for a couple of days.

I just thought it would be nice to talk about what we are growing or can grow when we have such a normadic existance ;-) w ell in the summer months anyway,! but I do love to garden when were at home I find it very therapeutic and relaxing.

We do come home after six weeks away though to a jungle,. I must admit though it is the only thing I miss when away (dont tell the kids) (lol)

Id put a photo on if I thought it would show!!

No it didnt error 500

i like gardening, but as I;m getting older find it difficult to bend down , and digging is not easy , with doggy knees!.I have a drip feed system to my gardens and pots, its on a timer and can be programmed. Ours comes on early morn and late evening., for about 1 hour each time.

My My growing is mainly pots, as we are on SOLID chalk, and things are ok for a while and then reach the chalk and die.Buddlia does very well. If you ever go on the ferry from Portsmouth, look up at the chalk hills. thats where my garden is! It manages to survive for ten weeks at a time when we are away. I do have a friend who does keep her eye on it , if it.s very hot.

We don't have any grass, only slate chippings , so no grass to mow,

PJay

Guest pelmetman
maggyd - 2012-04-11 9:50 PM

I like the idea of a self watering greenhouse !! how does that work then?

You can't see it in the picture as I added guttering to the front after I took that picture, the guttering fills a plastic dustbin in the shed which is on a shelf, that then via a tap in the green house is connected to a hose is set to drip into a tray full off sand on the floor of the greenhouse and we stand all our plants in that :D

So we have a dustbin full of water which is topped up with rain, and we rarely have a month without any rain in the summer *-)

So we have a dustbin full of water which is topped up with rain, and we rarely have a month without any rain in the summer

-----

/what an ingenious idea :-D I have a water butt that collects off the leanto behind the garage, but its too far from the greenhouse to set up anything like you have.

Its only this time of year that I have a problem when I have seeds on the go! and you cant wet them too much or you would have damping off. I will get around the problem though and if I have losses so be it.

Your garden is in a lovely place Pjay I know what you mean about the bending down bit :-) Im alright at the moment but it is creeping up on me ;-) it takes me longer to get up know than it did a couple of years ago.

We did away with the front bit of grass, as it wasnt worth pulling the mower out for and was mostly moss anyway! we replaced it with green slate chippings *-) nearlly killed us just getting it out of the bags, anyway it always looks neat and hasnt been a problem with leaves lying on it as I had thought it would.

We have cut down (well O.H and brother ) two large cherry tree,s and a big Viburnum bush out of the back garden!! but what that has done now is given me a much bigger planting area, but I like to see lots of summer colour when we come back in middle of July so Im not complaining O.H isnt in to gardening at all :-D but thats alright with me I dont end up with having plants pulled out him thinking they are weeds.

It would be nice to see photo,s of gardens but this board isnt the easiest to use when putting photo,s on is it?

Guest pelmetman
maggyd - 2012-04-12 12:13 PM

O.H isnt in to gardening at all :-D but thats alright with me I dont end up with having plants pulled out him thinking they are weeds.

It would be nice to see photo,s of gardens but this board isnt the easiest to use when putting photo,s on is it?

I learn't that trick ;-).................Sue's the green fingered one..........I do the bloke jobs like the grass and veg :D........Although I have designed all our gardens, I quite enjoy that bit and making something out of nothing or scrounged ;-).........I don't have to much of a problem with pictures so long as you reduce them in size..........

Hopefully this is a picture of a pond we put in a couple of years ago........a friend was throwing it out :D

DSCN0423web.jpg.80aa2a74de6eea3ce18fd6e6e3da524a.jpg

Symbol Owner - 2012-04-11 5:55 PM

Mel B has been gardening of late, I thought that she might 'happen along' with some hints & tips!

SOMEBODY actually reads my posts!!!! :->

Sorry, no hints on this as we don't grow our own veg etc however we did buy a load of lettuce plants (can't remember if it was last year or the year before! *-) ) and by the time they were ready to either be planted up, or eaten (they were in largish tubs), we were about to go on holiday for a few weeks ... hmmm, what to do .... I know, they can go on holiday with us!!! :D We gave some away and took 4 of the plants with us and didn't have to buy lettuce at all during the holiday - it was nice to be able to just pick it fresh when we wanted it but I had to keep them away from the dogs as they'd have eaten them ... slugs have nothing on them!!!! (lol)

Mel B - 2012-04-12 8:04 PM

Symbol Owner - 2012-04-11 5:55 PM

Mel B has been gardening of late, I thought that she might 'happen along' with some hints & tips!

SOMEBODY actually reads my posts!!!! :->

Of course Mel, I usually do -- even if you and I do not always see 'eye to eye' on everything! (perhaps it is my fault for only having one!)

I am afraid that I changed the thrust of Maggies thread from (annual?) flower seed sowing to veg. -- as that is what we usually do -- if we want annuals (pansies, for example) in pots or baskets, we take the expensive route and buy plugs or plants -- Dave's 'self-watering greenhouse' seems to be a very clever way of helping seeds/plants survive when away on our motorhome travels!

We, too, take veg. and(sometimes) growing plants with us on our travels -- salad leaves/radishes/lettuces all do well that way!

Happy gardening/motorhoming!

Colin.

Guest pelmetman
Talking of taking plants away in the camper :D................we often plant up a pot of herbs for our travels ;-)

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2012-04-12 8:58 PM

Talking of taking plants away in the camper :D................we often plant up a pot of herbs for our travels ;-)

I bet you do, you naughty boy. What do you grow, sativa or indica?. (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2012-04-12 9:06 PM

pelmetman - 2012-04-12 8:58 PM

I bet you do, you naughty boy. What do you grow, sativa or indica?. (lol) (lol)

Poppy's :D

We attach our a small ' irrigation system ' to the the tap on a water butt, and through a timer, the most important pots get watered for a minute or two every day, for up to a month.

Rain keeps the butt topped up, and the system has not failed us yet.

Mel I always read your posts :-D I know you have been working in your garden the last couple of weeks ;-) the sun brings us all out gardening feverishly !!

Aldi have had lots of plug plants in for a couple of weeks now I bought buzzy lizzie begonias fuschers (sp) and two lots of lobelia and to-day I bought a lovely white clematis in fact Ive got a greenhouse full of dependants (lol) Im certainly have to fix something up. Malc just reminded me that I have an automatic timer somewhere in my shed I might be able to fix that onto my water butt that would save me connecting to the outside tap that since going over to a meter my O.H is watching me very carefully when I connect the hose to that. :-D

I like your pond Pelmetman its very neat :-D we did have one in our last house but it was a bit big and caused a lot of work when the filter wasnt working so O.H did away with it and put a greenhouse there instead. I can tell your wife does the proper gardening (lol) its much to tasteful for the male of the species to have thought it up. ;-)

maggyd - 2012-04-12 10:45 PM

Dont know if this will be big enough but Ill try :-D just an idea of my garden

Its not having it this is what I get

Request object error 'ASP 0207 : 80004005'

Cannot use Request.Form

/@@global/request.2/request.asp, line 294

Cannot use Request.Form collection after calling BinaryRead.

Always is on when on this site Mel (lol) where photo,s are shown that is!!

I wish we could use photobucket I use it all the time for the garden forums.

I e.mailed the photo to myself resized and tried to load it ! it still didnt work. :-S

Guest pelmetman

Very nice Maggy ;-)................but I reckon you need to invest in an irrigation system with all those pots :D

That's how Sue likes our gardens to be stuffed full of plants...........she even lets them trail over my lawn 8-)

Archived