River Rhine

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

We plan to follow the Rhine from Sea to Source this year, maybe returning via the Mosel and Meuse, and I wonder if the accumulated knowledge base of the learned and well traveled membership could give us a few tips please?

I will do a forum search later as well as much Googling but it is often the little gems from personal experience that contribute to a good trip as much if not more than well published info.

Austria and Switzerland are often quoted as being a bit anti motorist - are they and if so is it less of an issue if you don't use their motorway networks?

Obviously castles and old towns will feature somewhat but we also like wild scenery, tumbling torrents, dramatic roads and getting away from everyone else for a while - and I'm sure that everyone else appreciates us getting away from them too!

Germany is well known for it's Stellplatz but I guess the same does not apply in Switzerland?

Thanks guys and gals.

It's true that there is less of a sense of car being king in Austria and Switzerland but once out of towns and cities there is plenty of space.

It can also be tough to find off-site camps and it needs to be done sensitively to avoid obvious signs of resentment. People do it, we do it, I know you will do it, but it's a bit trickier than other euro countries if local sensibilities are to be respected. 

Hiding is good.

Really jealous,

We did the German Mosel and Rhine last year. Brilliant!

Will think of things to post later but a real good tip is this:

In the German tourist Information Centres, they sell pull-out tourist maps of the two rivers. These maps were found to be a mine of information and added interest. Well worth the four or six euros each.

I suspect some of it arises from the road-tolling.

For Austria, if 3500kg or under and thus eligible for a vignette, this is, IMO, not an issue (though over that and requiring a Go-Box it is somewhat more awkward and/or punitive).

For Switzerland, over or under the weight limit it is no great problem, as long as you understand the rules. (and indeed, it might be cheaper under certain circumstances to be over 3500kg).

I stayed out of Austria when I had a vehicle over 3500kg, since I found either of the options (Go-Box, or avoid the motorways) a pain (except when doing a quick traverse). Having changed 'van, it is now firmly back on the agenda.

Both countries are very attractive, and other than the vagaries set out above, should hold little for the average motorist (or motorhomer) to fear.

Klyne - 2012-04-10 7:34 PMI am puzzled why anyone would think that Austria and Switzerland are anti motorist, never noticed that when I have been in those countries. David

Some years ago I had to take some furniture to Milan for an exhibition and as the Mont Blanc Tunnel was closed because of the serious fire I thought my best route was across northern France and down through Switzerland via Basel into Italy. Then I  hit the border crossing at Basel and was refused entry into Switzerland as I had not the correct paperwork to take goods through Switzerland unless I paid a 20% value of the goods on board , " No Chance " then the border control officer pointed back to the motorway and said France is in that direction !! , so it was head south and enter Italy via the Frejus Tunnel .I have never been back to Switzerland and never will after that episode.

Hi Tracker,

Brilliant area to visit. My single tip for staying on the Moselle would be a site about 11km south of Cochem,and please do not be put off by the name 'Happy Camping'. Cheap site and based right on the waters edge. Extra attraction is the site is directly opposite Belstein, a lovely village and a ferry runs from the site all day. So you can pop over and sample the wine without any driving and the view is gorgeous.

Well worth mixing in the pot with stops at the many aires along the river.

hope to call in there again this summer ourselves.

enjoy

derek

Klyne - 2012-04-10 7:34 PMI am puzzled why anyone would think that Austria and Switzerland are anti motorist, never noticed that when I have been in those countries. David

Not so much 'anti' as no assumption that being in a motor vehicle somehow elevates rights and status as, it could be argued, is the case in the UK. There are more restrictions on movements for larger vehicles (often >3.5t), more of an infrastructure that promotes the use of public transport - especially in built up areas, and just ever such a slight feeling that the residents know what a splendid place they inhabit and (quite rightly) don't want any foreigners compromising it. 

There are also many no overnighting  wohnmobile signs at honeypots - which the Italians dutifully seem to ignore in their droves - but which I'm confident Tracker will respect.

Archived