Looking for a good dash mount compass!

Losos

Has anyone got any idas where I could buy a good, dash mount, compass please? By 'good' I mean not one of those plastic things which tell you nothing, I mean a quality (preferably metal frame etc) compass with easy to read markings and which will blend in with a dark grey dashboard.

I have searched a few suppliers on here but no joy so far, any recommendations welcome.

My tomtom has a compass built in, provided you turn on that particular display option. This gives me a good idea as to wether we are heading in roughly the right direction - a sort of check/balance against the planned route.

Is this sort of thing OK or do you not use a satnav?

Here's one from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dash-Mount-Car-Compass-Silver-Black-New-/300675544273?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item4601a8b4d1

The earths magnetic field is badly distorted by the steel body and electronics in most vehicles.

I had a pre computer Ford Sierra with a ball type compass that worked well. I took it with me when changing toa later Sierra with computerised engine management and the compass was hopeless.

I doubt you will find a reasonably priced magentic compass and even the expensive ones with adjustable compensation may not perform well in such a variable environment.

I am aware there are other types that rely on electronics but know little on the subject..

I carry a an ex WD WW2 vintage hand bearing one in the campers door pocket and take it clear of the vehicle to get a reliable check but its not the same as one in front of you as you drive.

Losos - 2012-04-10 5:36 PMHas anyone got any idas where I could buy a good, dash mount, compass please? By 'good' I mean not one of those plastic things which tell you nothing, I mean a quality (preferably metal frame etc) compass with easy to read markings and which will blend in with a dark grey dashboard.

I have searched a few suppliers on here but no joy so far, any recommendations welcome.

Have a look at this Marine compass we used to have one of these a few years ago but now I find our Navigon Sat Nave set on the compass setting to be betterhttp://www.goodboatshop.co.uk/ritchie-sport-x-10-marine-compass.htmlAlf

FRANKP60 - I will try to post if I find one, but George Collings post seems to indicate there maybe some problems I hadn't anticipated

Bolero Boy - I do use a Sat Nav but wanted something I could just glance at while driving, I don't like changing the Sat Nav settings while on the move.

Tracker - I don't have a 'smart' phone, my life seems to be spent in places where there is no signal so can't justify buying one yet!!!

George Collings - Thanks for your advice on 'old' and 'new' Sierra's which I had not thought about. My vehicle is a 2010 Sprinter with lots of electronics!!

Alf - Thanks for that link*

Thanks to all of you above for comments, I find my Sat Nav is indispensible now, I only really wanted the compass as a means of knowing (Without having to touch anything) which way I was heading and (Touch of vanity here!) something to sort of 'compliment' the other 'gadgets' on the dashboard!!!

I will check out Alf's link but after reading George's remarks I think it may be a non starter, oh well that's life I suppose.

* Just had a look at Alf's link, the X10 looks very smart and is available in grey which would match my dash and they say it includes compensation so will ring them tommorrow to see what that means in reality, thanks again Alf.

The compass on our boat (when we had it)was affected by the self steering mechanisum being to close to it, and had to be modified to work correctly. Very important on a boat, as no signs in the ocean to work out position. So I would imagine that a dash mounted compass in a motor home, would have even more interference. We have a hand held marine compass which can be hung round neck if need be!!. This is very handy for positioning the van in the correct position to get the Sat Dome in line of site

Cost of a decent marine compass would probably be £75 to £100. now.

PJay

I found that after setting up I checked the compass points with a ex WD marching compass the same type that George Collings uses and the metalwork of the van and engine made no difference to the readings but make sure you follow the setting up I had to drive a 360 deg circle with the van so found an empty supermarket car park to do this.

Let us know how you get on

Alf

Hi

I have my TomTom permanently set up to show compass direction - its just a bearing/degree number in bottom right corner so i can see at a glance.

Re smart phone - i can't think of any places it hasn't worked to some extent - it was a bit spasmodic in Mozambique and some bits of Patagonia, but if you are on land you are not very far from a signal anywhere in the world. One of our group on a trip in the amazon basin a couple of years back was using his for map location and distance covered and that convinced me.

peter

Alf.

I think the nautical term for what you did is swinging the compass. .1/2 a degree out after a thousand miles is the difference between a safe arrival and swimming. On the road who cares.

As a point of interest how old is your Romahome. If its more than about ten years on the Citroen it does not use a computerised ECU and a lot of the engine is aluminium reducing the vehicles own magnetism compared with later vehicles.

On our Tom Tom you can set the compass to show the degrees (numbers) and a small compass image on the left hand side if you wish.

Before we got a sat nav I used to use a very good digital compass which had separate dials with temperature and time displays, the temperature and time displays were battery operated, and the compas worked when plugged into the 12v socket. I can't find the one we had, but there are loads of similar types of compass around, for example this one:

http://direct.247spares.co.uk/accessories/electrics/car-thermometers-and-digital-compasses/digital-car-compass-with-dual-display:345720

Losos - 2012-04-10 9:12 PMBolero Boy - I do use a Sat Nav but wanted something I could just glance at while driving, I don't like changing the Sat Nav settings while on the move.

< I find my Sat Nav is indispensible now, I only really wanted the compass as a means of knowing (Without having to touch anything) which way I was heading >

You just need to change the settings once (on TomTom it's in Preferences/Status Bar Preferences/and then 'tick' Show Compass. As you are familiar with looking at the SatNav this will be a natural place to check the direction compass without cluttering up the dash with any more 'vanity stuff' lol

Alf - I just ordered the Ritchie Sport X-10 A the 'A' bit is the vehicle version, £25 so we shall see, looks nice and is grey so will match the dash board.

FRANKP60 - If you log back in here end of next week I should be able to provide a basic user report which might help you decide which one to get.

• 2 weeks later...

In the absence of a response from LOSOS I can say we bought a Ritchie Trek about 10 years ago and fitted it first in a 2002 Ducato and then transferred it to our current 2010 X250.

Solidly made and accurate enough for map reading purposes. There are quite a lot of outside magnetic influences that have to be compensated for and the X250 seems to suffer more than the earlier van. And Sods law the interference is always at its worst where you want to fit it!!

Just checked on line and the Ritchie Trek is still on sale but is about a tenner more than the Ritchie Sport that LOSOS has ordered.

Hi Frank - Unfortunately I arrived home yesterday with my right knee in agony, I don't know what caused it but it's b****y painful, I can't walk easily so the installation will be delayed a few days but I will post here when done if you can be patient for a few days.

Archived