Globecar Trendscout -advice please

machinehead

Thanks very much for all the advice offered.

I'd appreciate an insight on the price these vans actually sell for in the real world. PM if preferred.

Plus owners advice on living in these vans.

Again, I'm reasonably experienced, having owned 6 panel vans.

So far, the general opinion is that the quality is good. That's encouraging anyway. Value for money seems good to me as I don't want to pay for a van that looks like the inside of a posh house.

If there are weak points to the Trendscout (apart from the name) it would be good to hear.

I never thought of buying in Germany but I am now!

Many thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Well it seems the pundits have got it right so far and £ euro rate steadily creeping up (1.22 today) If they are right and it goes north of 1.25 probably best chance of getting a good value van from Europe for a good while

Thanks for all the input.

Has anyone good or bad things to say about the comfort of the bed or otherwise? I have the all-too-common bad back.

So far so good. These seem like simple but well enough equipped campers at a sensible price.

Globecar seem to be aiming for people like me who have no desire to own a motorhome that tries to imitate a house in decor and comfort. The weakest area seems to be the very small kitchen but all vans have to compromise somewhere and the kitchen is the compromise in the Trendscout.

Guest JudgeMental
I also have a bad back and would not entertain a camper that needs lounge converted to a bed every night..surely it cant be comfortable or comparable to a proper mattress. That is why we have the Adria twin SP with best bed I have ever slept in, and a sensible (for us) layout

JudgeMental - 2012-04-20 4:20 PM

I also have a bad back and would not entertain a camper that needs lounge converted to a bed every night..surely it cant be comfortable or comparable to a proper mattress. That is why we have the Adria twin SP with best bed I have ever slept in, and a sensible (for us) layout

A rear lounge does not necessarily mean you have to make the bed up. My lounge is effectively 2 x 6ft 3" singles with sprung seats which are fantastic for my bad back.

In warmer countries it's just too hot to make up a double bed and you haven't the problem of climbing over each other in the middle of the night for toilet parade.

JudgeMental - 2012-04-20 4:20 PM

It's just horses for courses. I wouldn't entertain a fixed bed or a coachbuilt for that matter. All six of my vans over the past 27 years have been PVCs. I find making up the bed to be no bother at all and I can't understand how any reasonably fit person could. But again, that's just me and we all have different preferences.

The bed in my Symbol is almost as comfortable as my bed at home and I always sleep very well in the van.

I asked the question because I am trying to see if Globecar have cut costs on their mattress materials.

JudgeMental - 2012-04-20 10:41 PM

I think you need to go and have a look......only so much reserch you can do on internet *-)

You are right of course, but I'm in Ireland and it's a lot more difficult than if I was living in England and could spend a day or two just driving to view and maybe make a holiday of it.

Still I might have to follow your advice.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi,

I bought a trendscout in 2010 and am still very satisfied with it.

build quality is very good, i've had no problems at all, main reasons for buying were the end lounge(so many PVC's only have a cramped dinet) and the ford base vehicle.

We find the large double bed very comfortable and easy to make up once you've worked out which cushions to use! one side is longer than the other,(his and hers) It is rather a long way down to floor when climbing out of the made up double.

The toilet is a bit cramped but accepable for a mwb van, i have used the shower,ok for emergency use!

I found the folding table far to big and very hard to install, we use lap trays.

My van is 130hp 5 speed, very good performance and 33mph( so the computer says) new models are 140/6 speed.

SMC newark are now the main globecar dealer in GB.

I can recommend this van,shame about the silly name!

Guest JudgeMental
machinehead - 2012-04-21 12:39 AM

JudgeMental - 2012-04-20 10:41 PM

I think you need to go and have a look......only so much reserch you can do on internet *-)

You are right of course, but I'm in Ireland and it's a lot more difficult than if I was living in England and could spend a day or two just driving to view and maybe make a holiday of it.

Still I might have to follow your advice.

Thanks again everyone.

Bee jeasus your lucky! I was born in cork city..... :-D

you really you cant buy a camper blind can you? far to big a purchase........ a cheap return flight will do the trick, better that then regret.......

machinehead - 2012-04-17 11:56 PM

I'd appreciate an insight on the price these vans actually sell for in the real world. PM if preferred.

Plus owners advice on living in these vans.

Many thanks.

As an ex owner my main points are in my earlier post but if you have more specific questions then pm me and I will see what I can do. With regards to resale value in the UK most dealers don't know how to value them as they are not in the book so they use comparisons. I got a very good trade-in by going to a dealer that actually sells them and knows what they retail at. I know my old van was resold within 6 weeks.

Thanks very much. I really do appreciate everyone taking the trouble to reply.

I managed to view a Trendscout in Ireland last weekend and I'm more than happy with what I saw.

I have some reservations about the tiny hob but all vans have some compromises and the perfect van definately doesn't exist. (lol)

I've been thinking of changing the Symbol for 2 or 3 years now and this is the first van to tempt me. I particularly like the simplicity of the design and good design features like the internal water tanks placed between the wheels and the double floor in the lounge area.

The storage space is very impressive for a PVC.

The exterior also appeals as does the Ford base vehicle.

So, after a few years waiting, I think I'm going to buy a GlobecarTrendscout. The only part I really don't like is the silly name but hey.......towing caravans must take all the top prizes for embarrasing names. :-D

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm just home tonight after a trip to Newark to pick up the new van.

It's not perfect - no van is, but it's very, very good.

We've only had one night in it but we're off to France in June so we'll see how that goes.

After getting home tonight we packed all the clobber from the Symbol into the Globecar. It all went in and with masses of storage space left over!

Bad points:

The table is too big and awkward to put up. This might improve as I get my technique more refined.

The front blinds have been replaced with curtains. i knew this before buying but didn't know that you have to pop them in place rather than them being on a rail. This will be the first change I make.

The air-con doesn't seem to work. This is a Ford problem which will be sorted but it's still annoying, especially this weekend with the lovely weather.

The hob grill is crap. I've already sorted this tonight using an old toaster grill.

Good points:

Great build quality.

The layout is fantastic and easy to live in.

The Transit drives as well as most cars - a fantastic base vehicle. Also, an average 33.6 mpg on the trip home. I expect this to improve slightly as the engine beds in.

Sensible design and styling.

No "Granny's living room" features, like nice velvet decor, tapestry designs, cocktail cabinets, gold taps, leaded windows on cupboards - even thogh I'm a Granda.

Very good storage and payload.

The bathroom and toilet is fine. A lot of people seem to dislike this but we found it fine. Having said that, neither of us are unfit over over weight although we're not particularly youthful. :-D

So, after a few more trips I'll update this thread with both good and bad experiences of the Globecar Trendscout.

I still think the name is dreadful.......... B-)

Hi

We purchased our globecar 7 weeks ago and our main complaint is the table in respect of both size and weight. It is strong and heavy enough to support the forth bridge! Soooo have just purchased 2 smaller lightweight tabletops through rainbow conversations. On the larger I have put folding legs and on the smaller the fitting from the existing table.

They seem to work a treat when we tried at home and are just off for a few days for a proper trial.

Re build quality, we are also impressed thus far.

Good luck

Peter

machinehead - 2012-05-27 1:20 AM

The air-con doesn't seem to work. This is a Ford problem which will be sorted but it's still annoying, especially this weekend with the lovely weather.

.....the a/c switch (on my Transit at least) is a bit of a sw*ne.

It needs pushing in for a few seconds to engage/disengage, and you can't easily see the indicator light from the driver's seat anyway. (Though once it is engaged, it is very effective)

Are you sure that you are managing to switch it on?

Robinhood - 2012-05-27 4:06 PM...................the a/c switch (on my Transit at least) is a bit of a sw*ne.

It needs pushing in for a few seconds to engage/disengage, and you can't easily see the indicator light from the driver's seat anyway. (Though once it is engaged, it is very effective)

Are you sure that you are managing to switch it on?

Ditto that!

Thanks for the replies on the aircon.

I tried it again today with help from a works transit driver. The green light is on, fans runs, but the air is not cooling. It's just not working. I know this will be fixed but I only have a short time before leaving for France so it's a bit annoying.

Still, so far it seems to be a great van.

A little update - Ford sorted the aircon today. They said it was low on gas.

It is working a treat now and just in time for our first trip to France in the new van.

I spent this evening sorting out where we are going to store all the bits. This van has good storage for the size, much more than our Symbol had.

The drive in the Transit is very car-like and the economy, even with a new engine, is excellent.

So far, so good.

I'll post again (It might be best to start a new thread?) after returning from France and report on the good and bad points of the Trendscout.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I am new to (well considering) moving from caravan (just a wee one) to a motorhome (again a wee one) and the layout and spec I like best is either a Fifer S or the Globecar Trendscout and so this thread is very interesting. The views in this thread seem to agree with my choice.

The main dealership is a bit far away from us, so is there anyone with a Trendscout and living in Scotland, or know someone who does? I might be able to arrange have a look at theirs! :-o

Be interested in Machinehead's report on their French trip.

goldi - 2012-11-27 4:16 PM

Afternoon all,

Machinehead must be on a very long trip ;-)

norm

Machinehead mentioned his "next week" trip to France on 1 June 2012. He next posted on 4 July 2012 (in another thread), saying he had just returned from France and reporting that everything had gone well with his newly-acquired motorhome. He posted twice more on 10 July (nothing to do with the French trip). His last forum logon was two months ago on 26 September 2012. He joined the forum in late-2006 and, with a 'post count' of 73 over 6 years, it's apparent that he's an occasional forum participant not a regular.

For more information on machinehead's French trip, deckboy could try using the forum's PM feature (click on the "PM" button on machinehead's 1 June 2012 posting), but a person being PM-ed needs to logon to the forum to read the PM message. Machinehead has provided an e-mail address - machinehead_1@hotmail.co.uk - which might have more chance of contacting him than PM-ing.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I've logged on here.

It seems amazing that I've now owned the Trendscout for two years. Time flies.

Anyway, I plan to drip feed my opinions and experiences of buying and using the van. I want to give this information for anyone thinking about buying one of these vans.

I did have three email conversations with potential buyers last year but I know at least one of them bought a different van.

I'm away for a few weeks so I'll make a start but it will be a wait of three weeks before the second installment.

Firstly I will say that I have no regrets about buying a Trendscout. It is generally an excellent choice for a couple wanting a compact van, but with all the comfort and facilities of a much bigger motorhome.

The design of the interior is very easy to live with. The lounging area is superb, as is the bed. Setting up the bed counln't be much easier. You just slide the supports from each side seat to meet in the middle and slide the bottom and back cushions into place. Total time about 20 seconds. The bedding is stowed above the cab and again, is very easy and quick to organise at bedtime.

The shower room/toilet is slightly tight but only when using the shower is this noticable. If you're of, lets say, more generous proportions, showering might be a bit awkward. Fortunately for us it's fine.

All vans have one or more compromises and in the case of the Trendscout, it's the kitchen. You get a two ring hob and a small sink. A flip up extension table at the sliding door gives an extra working area. It helps to use the top of the fridge and the table as additional worktops. In the end it's tight but managable.

The payload and storage is a big plus on the Trendscout. From memory the payload is over 800kg. This is the seventh campervan I've owned going back to the mid 1980s. My previous van was an Auto-Sleeper Symbol. While this was an excellent and top quality van, it lacked storage space in every respect.

The rear half of the van where the seating/bed is situated, has a floor that is raised by about 300mm. This gives an enormous storage space which is accessible partly from inside the van but mostly from the rear when the rear doors are opened. We carry two quite large and very comfortable seats and a small sun canopy here plus a full sized spare wheel, BBQ, and a lot of other (probably unnecessary) clobber.

Inside are high level cupboards which we haven't even partly filled, a decent wardrobe, two kitchen cupboards, a cutlery drawer and an overcab locker, used for bedding. There is also a generous under-sink cupboard in the bathroom. This is a very strong plus for such a compact van.

More to follow.......

Archived