Ist outing - minor niggle

lancepar

Hi All,

As previously being caravaners, Easter was our first journey into the unknown in a Motorhome.

We did OK, just one thing though regarding the cab heating when on the move, temp' gauge was reading in the norm', and the top vents were blowing out heat but the output when switched to the foot vents was poor.

Am I expecting too much considering the large habitation area, or are they "all like that sir"(?) .

Cheers

B-)

Guest Tracker

Assuming your van is on a Fiat - most of 'em are like that!

The cab heater never was much good on that model Sevel van but if you keep it on full for long enough and drive far enough your feet should eventually thaw out!

Guest pelmetman

Dunno nuffink about ducato's :D...............But in my camper it is possible to have warm feet and a cool face ;-)..........but it was built over 22 years ago :D

Progress eh? (lol) (lol)

The Ducato of that vintage wasn't renowned for its ability to heat the cab with all the open space of the motorhome behind. :-S

The problem is often exacerbated by the existence of draughts from well known areas.

I would suggest you test for these, and try two possible remedies:

1. Duct tape over the slotted vents in the trailing edge of the doors (the bits you can see when the door is open). This stops significant draughts and heat loss through the door space (and with the other fixed ventilation in the habitation area, the outlets aren't required for decent through-flow as they would be in a normal cab).

2. Check round the driver/passenger seat belt reel mounts. The box section behind/below these is open to the underside of the 'van, and can allow a significant cold draft which tends to get you right around the legs. I plugged the area below each reel (I think it requires removal and replacement of the pillar trim) with foam rubber, blocking the draughts.

Whilst still not outstanding, it made a noticeable difference to the warmth in the cab.

We have a Fiat Ducato on a 56 plate and our heater is exactly the same. Our mh is an A class so we just pull the curtains across behind our seats - although they are quite flimsy feeling, it certainly helped to keep our cab warm and our feet did warm up, in fact the cab got really comfortable, but as soon as the curtains go back the heat is lost. If you don't have any curtains, it might be worth looking into how to fit some.

We will also do this when the weather is hot and we have the air con on. :-D

Hi,

We have an Autocruise on a 2005 Peugeot, Same cab etc., as your Ducato, Yes, as others have said, it's a common trait of the type, poor cab heater. We luckily have an Eberspacher Diesel heater which we have on and running when Travelling, and an outlet pointing into the cab. Ray

Robins tips help to stop the draughts.

Thanks for the replies will act on them, just to add the air flow from the foot vents seems to be directed straight down into the carpet and is hot but it is not being directed horizontally towards the feet.

Can't draw the curtains on our Autotrail, they close in front of the seats and the "force" is no longer with me. LOL.

B-)

If you look on page 226 of 3 MMM's May edition you will have it all explained why the heating system in the pre x250's is very poor. It goes into detail how to overcome the problem but it isn't cheap. It's very informative and 10 out of 10 to the consultants.

Remember, these vehicles started off as vans, and the majority of the floor heater output is directed to the driver position. I made a vertical baffle, and fitted it to the floor, to direct more of the floor heater / air con output to the passenger side, my wife said this made it more comfortable for her.

Brian B.

ps Just thought, this may only apply to our LHD van.!! 8-)

I think the heater in our van 06 plated , compares to a car heater, taking into account that you are trying to heat a very large area. i find if you heat your feet and wear a fleece this helps. We don't usually use our van in winter, but this year we had to take it up to Hull in December and collect it in January. it certainly got hot in the vehicle on a six hour journey!! I think if we did use more in winter, would consider having Eberspacher or simular diesel heating put in.Blow the expense, Comfort more inportant

Some m/home manufacturers fitted extra heaters in the mid sections on the m/homes to over come this problem.

They took pipework from the engine cooling system and a 3 stage blown fan to allow the vehicle to heat up. surprisingly effective comared by the poor effort supplied by Fiat. ( I suppose Italy is quite warm and heating is not generally needed :D )

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-04-15 6:12 PM

Some m/home manufacturers fitted extra heaters in the mid sections on the m/homes to over come this problem.

They took pipework from the engine cooling system and a 3 stage blown fan to allow the vehicle to heat up. surprisingly effective comared by the poor effort supplied by Fiat. ( I suppose Italy is quite warm and heating is not generally needed :D )

Rgds

Our previous MH - a 2004 Rapido - had the extra hab heating from the enging/rad, coupled to a good blower. It was the smaller Rapido 709F model, and the extra heater was amazingly effective.

Current van (X250) has a diesel hab heater, but in fact the cab heater alone is pretty good after about 10 minutes' driving.

Guest ChrisB

Fiat offered an additional heater with that model (referred to as a "heat exchanger" in their options list) which was located under the driver's seat (or passenger's in LHD vehicles). A switch on the dashboard operated a fan which blew hot air into the habitation area.

Very effective.

Chris

Actually on ours (an Italian A-Class) this was wired in reverse and blew air directly at the driver's feet - just unplugged and switched polarity.

Archived