12 volt tv

John Younger

This is really simple now - pop down to your local Currys and look at the LCD ones. You'll see the most of the 16-22" variants now have an external "brick" for 220/240v AC to 12v DC .

Just get one of these - Currys own 16 or 19" was coming in around £90-£100.

The TVs actually do some regulation, so the voltage acceptance is something like 12-18v DC (check per TV)

A 16" screen is too big for our motorhome, but things get difficult to find below this size. We got a 10" digital from Maplins which works on 12 or 240v - while not brilliant, it is certainly good enough, and a good price. try www.maplin.co.uk. They also have shops, I still prefer to see before I buy!

We have just purchased a Kogan 16" led 12 Volt DVD usb PVR Tv and are really pleased with it it will run directly from 12 Volt with a lead that Kogan can supply for an extra charge (i made mine) The Tv was £89 with free delivery the tuner seems quite sensitive and the viewing angle is sufficiently large to suit our 'van and seating arrangements.
Hope this is of some use Dave

Check just what you want to TV to do for you - are you going to use it on Continent and in UK? Do you wan t 'Multi standard' analogue and digital (we have both as last year at least much of France still had analogue and we were able to receive this as ours is Mutli standard),

Do you want Freeview/ Freesat for Uk, the latter requiring a sky dish, but no subscription. Some set now have both built in.

Do you want one with a DVD player/ USB record stick?

We purchased a 19" screen TV from TV Village (they advertise in CC mag, as well as having a website), and got exellent service.

It's also worth checking the size/weight, as the one we purchased took no more pace than our previous 15inch set, adn was half the weight and thickness....

It also came with the correct 12v adaptor, though as yet we have only used it when connected to240V mains.

This one looks very similar to mine which is a Cello. Had no probs whatsoever with it and works fine across Europe.

This one includes the cables as well-not an 'optional' extra

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-12-VOLT-HD-Freeview-record-slim-LED-TV-DVD-Motorhome-Leisure-Truck-24-V-/220927524399?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item33704e7e2f

Mike

Mike,that looks pretty good(..especially with a built in DVD player as well)!

...but if I can ask,would that be "similar" as in,the same but with just a different name?...it's just that I wondered what size the actual body of the TV was?(..their dimensions include the stand).

Chris

http://www.tv-village.net/cello-c19zf-19-12-volt-tv-p-73.html

Chris, this is the link to the set we purchased, and the specs included sixe with and without stand. It is an excellent picture, but like all digital TVs does need a good signal - I think in many ways they are less good than the old analogue system in this respect.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Keith T

pepe63 - 2012-04-18 5:15 PM

Mike,that looks pretty good(..especially with a built in DVD player as well)!

...but if I can ask,would that be "similar" as in,the same but with just a different name?...it's just that I wondered what size the actual body of the TV was?(..their dimensions include the stand).

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes I think it is same-just a different name. The one from TV village is a Cello as well-they are made in Scotland I think or the North East (somewhere in UK!)

The stand is removable and can be fitted via standard wall mount if you prefer. I got a flip up/down mount from Lowdhams Caravans for £11 for ours so we can fold it out of way when not watching

Mike

Mike B. - 2012-04-18 11:39 AM

This one looks very similar to mine which is a Cello. Had no probs whatsoever with it and works fine across Europe.

This one includes the cables as well-not an 'optional' extra

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-12-VOLT-HD-Freeview-record-slim-LED-TV-DVD-Motorhome-Leisure-Truck-24-V-/220927524399?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item33704e7e2f

Mike

Im considering one of these as well from the 12v shop on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VPJZ48/ref=pe_160961_29683781_pe_vfe_dt1 Same price with shipping.

Look at the power usage. 1.2 amps or 14 watts. I emailed the suppliers and they reckon for a 16" TV its the lowest power usage you will get. Most of the LED 16 inch are 2 amps or 20 watts. The £89 one mentioned above appears to be <40 watts or perhaps 4 amps.

This is very important to us as power usage is critical in our van as we are seldom on hookup.

There are a few users who mentioned the sound isnt so good and a bit tinny but the reviews are generally good. If anyone gets one can you review it on here please. If I get mine first of course I will do the same.

Archived