Tap trouble

malc d

A reminder, for those who already know, and a tip for those who don't !

I have just been reminded that when you ' open ' your mixer taps to protect them from freezing up, you need to make sure that you centre the tap to ensure that both the hot and cold pipes are open.

I've just found, to my cost, that one of my taps was not centred ( maybe it was knocked ? ) and it has now sprung a leak somewhere under the worktop, because the cold side of the tap was closed, so water remained in the pipe when the system was drained.

( Most of the time I have a heater in the van, but occasionally it's been off for a night after a day out ).

:-(

Bad bounce.

Assuming it's a plastic bodied cartridge type, for what it's worth, I did manage to strip one, repair the frost damaged crack with an araldite type plastic repair compound adhesive and then fill the tap body's voids with Sikaflex to be 'belt and braces'.

Worked a treat and saved about £60.

I use chromed brass ones now!

Snap i had the exact same problem! when i managed to remove the mixer tap from the work top/basin, the cold push in end had come adrift from the base of the mixer ! there is a plastic pin which holds the two (hot &cold) plug in connectors into the base of the mixer this had broken in half and allowed the cold water to flow onto the van floor. i was able to use two metal pins(in place of the broken plastic pin) to re secure the two push in hoses to the base, job done, so try and check out if this has happened to yours

Archived