BM-1 Battery Monitor

dpsuk999

Hi all, I've just joined and last week took the plunge and bought my first motorhome, a Burstner Elegance 690 and so far I'm delighted with it. It has a built in Yamaha 2500 LPG generator and 120w solar panel and 2 110ah leisure batteries. I bought a BM-1 battery monitor the other day and was fitting it today and disconnected the 2 leisure batteries but noticed the e control panel was still on and lights etc working which means they must be powered by the main battery, is this normal?

Thanks

crinklystarfish - 2012-04-17 8:56 AMNot familiar with that 'van but wouldn't have expected that.

Just to eliminate the possibilities, where does the solar panel feed into the circuitry, and did you happen to be on electric hook up at the time you disconnected the leisure batteries?
Hi, it feeds into a steca PR1010 regulator and no was not on ehu

Ah never thought about that, I'll check but the dealer I bought it from only mentioned 2 leisure batteries.

Could I disconnect the van battery and then turn the ignition on, just to see if the leisure batteries and van batteries are all connected? Just thought of that now......?

dpsuk999 - 2012-04-17 10:00 AM
crinklystarfish - 2012-04-17 8:56 AMNot familiar with that 'van but wouldn't have expected that.

Just to eliminate the possibilities, where does the solar panel feed into the circuitry, and did you happen to be on electric hook up at the time you disconnected the leisure batteries?
Hi, it feeds into a steca PR1010 regulator and no was not on ehu
.....so the panel is fed to a regulator, but where is the regulator output wired into the MH circuit? Is it directly across the batteries, or ultimately feeding the elektroblock?If the latter, then it may be the suspect. You're unlikely to get more than a couple of amps from a panel at this time of year, so if all your 12V electrics work together, the solar panel is not the suspect, but if it is simply the panel lights and one or two others, then it could be solar. If the regulator is wired into the elektroblock, try successively switching 12V (halogen) lights on, and see how many it can sustain. If it's no more than 4 or 5, then I would suspect you have a solar feed. (Needs to be off H/U and LED lights, because of their much smaller current usage are probably not a good test).Alternatively, of course, you could just check again at night to eliminate the possiblity of it being a solar panel feed. ;-)

The solar goes into the regulator then from regulator to the 2 leisure batteries and not to the elektrobloc.

What made me suspect was when I disconnected the leisure batteries, the panel was still on and maybe a couple of led lights, which you say quite rightly could have been powered by the solar panel, was midday with a bit of sun, but as soon as I disconnected the van battery, the panel died, which leads me to believe this is linked to the leisure batteries too.

I always thought that the van battery should be isolated so if the leisure batteries die, you can always start the mh, but I do have a LPG generator which when switched on, a battery charger is under the bench seat, which charges the leisure batteries and assume also the van battery.

Incidentally, on the panel the van battery and leisure batteries always read the same values, when on discharge and also when been charged.

Would you recommend isolating the van battery from leisure or keep it as it is? If keep as is, there probably is a conflict as the leisure batteries will be different from a starter battery?

Thanks,

Sorry not familiar with your control panel, however for your information, on our van if I disconnect the leisure batteries the panel and all 12v electric still operate from the main vehicle starter battery. It is connected via a relay under the bonnet to the panel and was the normal way of wiring on our van, but as I said I am not familiar with yours so it may not be the same.

Bas

Basil - 2012-04-17 9:32 PM

Sorry not familiar with your control panel, however for your information, on our van if I disconnect the leisure batteries the panel and all 12v electric still operate from the main vehicle starter battery. It is connected via a relay under the bonnet to the panel and was the normal way of wiring on our van, but as I said I am not familiar with yours so it may not be the same.

Bas

Hi Basil, what make mh is yours? It gives me some comfort that yours sounds like its wired the same as mine. How old is your mh? Have you had it from new?

Thanks

dpsuk999 - 2012-04-17 12:40 PMThe solar goes into the regulator then from regulator to the 2 leisure batteries and not to the elektrobloc.What made me suspect was when I disconnected the leisure batteries, the panel was still on and maybe a couple of led lights, which you say quite rightly could have been powered by the solar panel, was midday with a bit of sun, but as soon as I disconnected the van battery, the panel died, which leads me to believe this is linked to the leisure batteries too.I always thought that the van battery should be isolated so if the leisure batteries die, you can always start the mh, but I do have a LPG generator which when switched on, a battery charger is under the bench seat, which charges the leisure batteries and assume also the van battery.Incidentally, on the panel the van battery and leisure batteries always read the same values, when on discharge and also when been charged. Would you recommend isolating the van battery from leisure or keep it as it is? If keep as is, there probably is a conflict as the leisure batteries will be different from a starter battery?Thanks,

I'd take a guess - but it is only a guess with the info available, that whoever fitted the generator (+ separate? charger under the bench seat) has wired all the 'van's batteries in parallel.

Does any of the base vehicle equipment (dash lights etc) work with the 'starter' battery disconnected?

I'd personally at this point be trying different charging regimes (ehu / solar / generator / running the engine) and taking voltage readings across each battery to try to determine what is doing what to what and when. I'd also, as far as possible, be trying to trace battery cable runs.

That might help to throw some light on what's going on.

It's abnormal practice not to isolate the starter battery and it's probably going to be necessary to work out what is going on to be able to wire the shunt for the battery monitor in effectively.

Bas - does your 'van's starter battery power all the habitation equipment all the time or does the relay you describe just allow that situation when the engine is running? That would be less unusual and is similar to the way that many absorption fridges run from 12V.

dpsuk999 - 2012-04-18 7:04 AM

Hi Basil, what make mh is yours? It gives me some comfort that yours sounds like its wired the same as mine. How old is your mh? Have you had it from new?

Thanks

Hi, ours is an Elddis, it is a 98 and yes.

crinklystarfish - 2012-04-18 8:14 AM

Bas - does your 'van's starter battery power all the habitation equipment all the time or does the relay you describe just allow that situation when the engine is running? That would be less unusual and is similar to the way that many absorption fridges run from 12V.

The starter battery supplies power at all times when the leisure batteries are disconnected, when the leisure batteries are connected the power comes from them unless you switch the control panel to 'Vehicle Battery Only'

The relay cuts the power to the interior of the motorhome when the engine is started to comply with the Construction and Use Regulations otherwise the vehicle starter battery is connected to the interior..

crinklystarfish - 2012-04-18 8:14 AM
dpsuk999 - 2012-04-17 12:40 PMThe solar goes into the regulator then from regulator to the 2 leisure batteries and not to the elektrobloc.What made me suspect was when I disconnected the leisure batteries, the panel was still on and maybe a couple of led lights, which you say quite rightly could have been powered by the solar panel, was midday with a bit of sun, but as soon as I disconnected the van battery, the panel died, which leads me to believe this is linked to the leisure batteries too.I always thought that the van battery should be isolated so if the leisure batteries die, you can always start the mh, but I do have a LPG generator which when switched on, a battery charger is under the bench seat, which charges the leisure batteries and assume also the van battery.Incidentally, on the panel the van battery and leisure batteries always read the same values, when on discharge and also when been charged. Would you recommend isolating the van battery from leisure or keep it as it is? If keep as is, there probably is a conflict as the leisure batteries will be different from a starter battery?Thanks,

I'd take a guess - but it is only a guess with the info available, that whoever fitted the generator (+ separate? charger under the bench seat) has wired all the 'van's batteries in parallel.

Does any of the base vehicle equipment (dash lights etc) work with the 'starter' battery disconnected?

I'd personally at this point be trying different charging regimes (ehu / solar / generator / running the engine) and taking voltage readings across each battery to try to determine what is doing what to what and when. I'd also, as far as possible, be trying to trace battery cable runs.

That might help to throw some light on what's going on.

It's abnormal practice not to isolate the starter battery and it's probably going to be necessary to work out what is going on to be able to wire the shunt for the battery monitor in effectively.

I was going to disconnect the starter battery today and try but it's been raining all day! Will try that in the morning. I'll also try all the charging regimes too.Ill keep you posted on this saga B-)

Got it (mostly) Bas, the sources seem selectable at least, that's not so uncommon. Cutting power to the habitation area when the engine is running is something that's never featured on any of my 'vans but I do seem to recall that some manufacturers have done / do that.

It seems that the OP is facing different issues though and the suspicion is that all the batteries have simply been connected in parallel.

There is a kind of logic there in that the 'van is equipped with a generator and a solar charger and so should, in theory, never be unable to muster enough charge to start the engine allowing the extra capacity of the starter battery to be utilised in supplying domestic needs.

If that is the case (and it's just a guess) then there could be issues as many dedicated leisure batteries can be damaged if exposed to sudden super-high current demands (starting an engine), and dedicated starter batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged and likewise can be damaged.

There are some batteries out there like Elecsol carbons that claim they are equally at home being deeply discharged or used for cold cranking. If such batteries are fitted to the OP's 'van then it's less of a problem.

Still wouldn't be sure where to wire in that shunt though...

As before, this is just a punt without having the benefit of an hour poking round the 'van.

There might be some mileage in trying to contact the previous owner through the dealer to find out what the jimminy they did.

Archived