Any thoughs on a replacement for our Hymer? Rapido?

Ian0354

Views sort.

We just sold our Hymer to a lovely couple who, we hope, will enjoy many miles of adventures with it. So now begins the search for the replacement; we are quite happy to take our time choosing, getting the right MH for proposed long-term ownership. We quite fancy the looks of the Rapido but have little knowledge of the make other than what we have read in the motorhome press and from briefly looking at some at shows. So we would really welcome comments from forum members and owners, both past and present. We think that it will most likely be an A class again for the main reason that we have never seen a Rapido low profile on a Mercedes chassis with a fixed bed other than the short ones, is it 749?, and we don’t think this will be quite enough to be suit our needs. We do not want a rear lounge model. We did once meet a couple who had a Rapido 7099 and about that size would be of great interest, but the trouble is we have a very strong preference for MHs with rear wheel drive and also I need an automatic. Are there any Rapido low profile models of that size on the Mercedes? Our “wanted” list includes that rear wheel drive and auto box plus no daily making up of beds (so either a rear, fixed, bed or a drop down) and we like LHD. We're not really fussed about a huge kitchen as long as it has a large’ish fridge and some prep area. A nice bathroom with a separate shower is quite high on our list. The lady in my life likes to relax on a settee but as long as the MH has captains seats that can swivel to use as an arm chair I’m happy. We are not fussed about dinette seating preferring a second settee if there is a choice. A garage for my buggy would be nice rather than it being out in the weather on a rack so this would mean a high level rear bed. We have loads happening through this year so we would most likely shop for next year - there is no rush. Ideally this MH would cost about £20 - £24K. Any thoughts or opinions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

We had a Rapido for some 5 years - a 2002 710F....Fiat Based 'compactl' motorhome, but full of standard Rapido quality.

We replaced this with a Burstner, Marano 595,still 'small-ish' (well by modern day standards) but nevertheless some 6.2m long a a lot wider than the Rapido. Again in terms of quality, pretty good, and the main reason for this choice was a similar layout to the 710F.

everytime we go to a show we check out the Rapido stand,and I thnk they are very much still top quality, and personally wold not hesiatet to buy one a) if we could afford it (unlikely!) and b) if a suitable layout (also on present designs unlikely)!.

Keith,

Thanks for your comments. We have always been inpressed by the visible quality although we think the older Rapidos look higher quality than the newer ones, much the same can be said for Hymer and other manufacturers.

Hi Ian

As you say the majority of Mecedes based Rapido's are the "A" Class so with very few Low Profiles on the Mercedes they will be like "Hen's Teeth" even more so with the Auto option.

As well as the 749M they also did a Rapido Le Randonneur 779M Low Profile on the Merc chassis.

One a bit over budget here, but is the Auto model:-

http://www.adtrader.co.uk/east-midlands/nottinghamshire/southwell/caravans-and-camping/motor-homes/rapido-962m-automatic-motorhome-a-class-rapido-mercedes-automatic/8502c47c7cc811e18a6312314201211a?keywords=rapido

It may be worthwhile having a look on the European dealers website if you want LHD also.

Hi Flicka,

Thanks for your comments. A coincidence, I was just looking at that one; a very nice motorhome. I've been looking around at Rapidos and the only way I see getting enough room is going to be A class; there are so many more boxes ticked that way and after having the Hymer (which itself followed a high top van conversion) we are not going to compromise next time. My lady suffered the high top for 5 years to induldge my love of mountain views but this is to be for the long time so it must REALLY work. No way are we ever going back to the size of bathroom that comes with a van. It is just a shame nobody has made a LP at about 7 - 7.5mt on a Merc but that is what we would need to get the space we want. Always a compromise!

Regards,

Loads of 7-7.5 mt vans, including Rapido, in your price range (all layouts) but not on a Merc. I feel that you are looking for scarce item at under £24k. There are other brands on an older Merc but not A-class eg Autotrail.

If you broaden your search and remove the constraint of the base vehicle (to a Fiat??) you will have loads of choice.

Rgds,

Guest JudgeMental

7 RAPIDO 962M on German site www.mobile.de from about 28K before negotiations.

Just select model and have a look, you can put in spec like auto etc. Or just search for rapido and a lot of vans popup

Hi BB,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately there are just too many compromises for us with changing thoughts on chassis, the biggest of which is the need for an automatic, and everything else falls into place from that; LHD (needed because of limitations, RHD in the Hymer was difficult) is even more rare when looking at British built MHs and then comes our desire for rear wheel drive. I have managed with a button operated clutch before but several years of physical deterioration have passed since then. But we'll get there.

I fully take your point about what we desire being scarce but hey, we only want the one :D If it takes longer hopefully the result will be so much sweeter "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and all that!

Regards,

JudgeMental - 2012-04-19 9:37 AM

7 RAPIDO 962M on German site www.mobile.de from about 28K before negotiations.

Just select model and have a look, you can put in spec like auto etc. Or just search for rapido and a lot of vans popup

Thanks Judge, Yes the 962M looks the favourite in so many ways but it has no settee for my lady. Personal import was the route we took for the high top van we had prior to the Hymner and it holds no fears for us. Last time it was from a private seller which we wouldn't be keen to repeat but dealing with a company would be fine. I know from following this forum that you have taken this route. Shame there isn't the savings that there was with £/€ exchange years ago!

Regards,

Guest JudgeMental

£ rate 1.22 so no better time than now. At least if you buy from German dealer chances are van will be sound and damp tested, as they don't muck about when taking in stock. Your problem as I see it is the fixation on a Merc chassis and Rapido, with a limited limited budget. I would much rather have a more modern 3 litre auto Fiat then a 12 year old van.

loads of vans like this frankia on budget, just do a genral search of autos etc...

http://tinyurl.com/d5hkfe6

JudgeMental - 2012-04-19 3:14 PM

£ rate 1.22 so no better time than now. At least if you buy from German dealer chances are van will be sound and damp tested, as they don't muck about when taking in stock. Your problem as I see it is the fixation on a Merc chassis and Rapido, with a limited limited budget. I would much rather have a more modern 3 litre auto Fiat then a 12 year old van.

loads of vans like this frankia on budget, just do a genral search of autos etc...

http://tinyurl.com/d5hkfe6

Hi,

Yes I agree with your comments about German dealers and their stocks from visits we have made. The current £/€ isn't bad but a long way from 1.32 the last time we bought.

I may not have put our case clearly, there is no fixation on Rapido (hence the ? in my thread title and our invitation of comments from owners) it is just that we saw this as an alternative to another Hymer, although I will admit to being "blinkered", if you will, about certain aspects of the Mercedes chassis, these being automatic gearbox and RWD. The comparison you make is not really valid though as where would one find a 3 litre auto Fiat, assuming we were to compromise on our wants and willing to purchase that make, for what we feel is our, comfortable, budget? If we were in the position of buying at twice our budget it might be a different matter however going back to our circumstances we are quite happy to have our 12 year old MHs which give us just as much motorhoming as a newer one would and a lot less trouble than we read people having with their new Fiats. The added bonus is that we don't have to deal with the sort of person who tends to be employed behind the service reception at Fiat dealerships.

The Frankia is very nice and is a make we hadn't, thus far, considered but I did say we are in no great hurry. A great shame that that particular Frankia has such a huge mileage though.

Regards,

Guest JudgeMental

These are commercial chassis designed to do 40,000 + miles a year. So service history etc... probably of more importance, I would be more suspicious of a 12 year old van with 27k on it and I saw one or two like this. I picked that one without looking at details, just as an example of another reputable manufacturer, there are many......

there were many S line or star line Hymers in your budget as well, these are fine vans. Try a general search for A class, length, chassis or engine size and loads will pop up. when you ID manufacturers or models of interest, you can create a short list and can narrow the search

Paging through a French ‘buyers’ list’ of new motorhomes marketed in France in 2005 (which I’m guessing might just be OK given your stated budget) I note that Frankia, Hymer, LMC, Notin, Pilote and Rimor were then offering some Mercedes-based low-profile designs.

Mercedes-based A-Class motorhomes were being marketed in 2005 by Carthago, Concorde, Esterel, Frankia, Hymer, Le Voyageur, LMC, Notin, Pilote and Rapido.

A torque-converter automatic gearbox was offered for LHD Fiat Ducatos with the 2.8litre motor (2004-2006?), but I’ve no idea how many motorhomes were built with that transmission.

In the UK Auto-Trail built on Mercedes, including the Grand Frontier A-Class.

Just thought I would put my oar in re Rapido quality. We downsized from a Burstner Delfin to a 6m Rapido 709F In March 2009. We had loved the Delfin and I was anxious the Rapido would not be of such good quality, but Burstner did not make a van in the size/ layout we wanted. We need not have worried. Our van is extremely comfortable and we have been delighted with the quality. We have in 3 year's use had the little catch which holds the shower door to the wall tightened and that is it! We had a great handover from Wokingham Motorcaravans, who also do our annual habitation service. We use the van throughout the year, spending 6 weeks in the school holidays in Southern Europe and also have spent weeks in freezing temperatures in the snow in Germany in February. What I am trying to say is that it has been put together very well and feels and looks like new. We have nothing but praise for Rapido build - and the Fiat 2.3 has been totally trouble free too, since like most Fiats of its generation, it had the clutch modified under blanket recall- touch wood quickly!!

Hi DD,

Thanks for your constructive comments regarding build quality, remarks that are very much in line with what other owners have said. Wokingham Motorcaravans get very high praise as well. It is going to be an interesting search, more so because this time we have no P/Ex.

BTW, opinions on the Burstner might be of interest.

Regards,

Ian03/54 - 2012-04-18 11:51 PM

Hi Flicka,

Thanks for your comments. A coincidence, I was just looking at that one; a very nice motorhome. I've been looking around at Rapidos and the only way I see getting enough room is going to be A class; there are so many more boxes ticked that way and after having the Hymer (which itself followed a high top van conversion) we are not going to compromise next time. My lady suffered the high top for 5 years to induldge my love of mountain views but this is to be for the long time so it must REALLY work. No way are we ever going back to the size of bathroom that comes with a van. It is just a shame nobody has made a LP at about 7 - 7.5mt on a Merc but that is what we would need to get the space we want. Always a compromise!

Regards,

Hi Ian,

just a thought.

I read (last year) in one of the mags, that Pilote had an exclusive on the new Euro 5 Merc, with the Al-Ko chassis for their new "A" Class model.

So using that logic (which may well be flawed 8-) ) Pilote may have had some earlier models on the Merc chassis.

Maybe worth googling " Pilote Mercedes motorhome" to see if anything comes up.

Hi Ian

Just a quick search brought this Pilote A Class up & there appears to be a few other models.

Highbridge website indicates thay have a 2003 Pilote Mercedes A Class> "DUE" in.

http://www.motorhomesforsale.co.uk/motorhomes/pilote/pilote-galaxy-91-cs216171.aspx

Still over budget, RHD & manual.

Sorry I can't advise if the Sprintershift is something that can be fitted retrospectively, but as it is an adaptive Auto, someone on the forum may know ?

Hi Flicka,

Thanks, I will investigate.

State of play ATM is that Frankia have two new fans. The Frankia I 6500 ED Holidayclass looks to cover "just about all" boxes if we could find one on a chassis that would allow upgrade to 3850kg (we know this would have been just paperwork on the Hymer Starline B640 we have just sold) as the ex-works payload appears to be only 279kg on the standard 3500kg chassis, or, if we could find and afford, one built on the 416 chassis with it's 1179kg ex-works payload. The smaller I 6000 SD Compactclass suggested by JM in his post above is not available on the 416 and only offers 339kg which is no good if including my disability buggy at about 100kg (paperwork not to hand), + leverage, which would have to be on rack as this model has no garage.

Lots of Internet searching going on.

Regards,

flicka - 2012-04-19 11:11 PM

Hi Ian

Just a quick search brought this Pilote A Class up & there appears to be a few other models.

Highbridge website indicates thay have a 2003 Pilote Mercedes A Class> "DUE" in.

http://www.motorhomesforsale.co.uk/motorhomes/pilote/pilote-galaxy-91-cs216171.aspx

Still over budget, RHD & manual.

Sorry I can't advise if the Sprintershift is something that can be fitted retrospectively, but as it is an adaptive Auto, someone on the forum may know ?

Thanks Flicka, You are working hard for us.

Regards,

Have had a couple of Rapidos and have been very happy with them APART from the lack of 240V sockets.

One socket in 709F (6ms long) and two in 7090F (8 metres long). May not worry you you ,but the amount of electronic goodies we take all need charging (generally at the same time !)

Cannot speak for a Hymer.

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental

surely to install a few 230 v sockets hardly a deal breaker.

There is one I Frankia 6500 ED on mobile.de that meets your spec, 70,000 km, auto, Merc, looks a nice van at £22500 before negotiations, I would think £20K. With your budget I would aim at a 2004 upwards van....

tonyishuk - 2012-04-20 11:51 AM

Have had a couple of Rapidos and have been very happy with them APART from the lack of 240V sockets.

One socket in 709F (6ms long) and two in 7090F (8 metres long). May not worry you you ,but the amount of electronic goodies we take all need charging (generally at the same time !)

Cannot speak for a Hymer.

Rgds

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your remarks, Rapido seems to get plenty of praise from owners. Looking increasingly like we might be heading towards Frankia now but no desisions are made yet.

Regards,

JudgeMental - 2012-04-20 2:03 PM

surely to install a few 230 v sockets hardly a deal breaker.

There is one I Frankia 6500 ED on mobile.de that meets your spec, 70,000 km, auto, Merc, looks a nice van at £22500 before negotiations, I would think £20K. With your budget I would aim at a 2004 upwards van....

Hi JM,

We saw that one after you pointed us at the smaller Frankia. It looks very nice and has many extras. There is a lot going for the 6500 ED; layout, chassis, bathroom and even the garage. One very small compromise is the length of the settee but we feel we could live with that "make do". We would hope that we might find a later example particularly if we wait until later this year.

Regards,

Archived