Excellent Service

david lloyd

With so much apathy about in the world of retail sales and service I thought I would just let you know of the excellent service I have just experienced at IH Motorhomes.

During our winter in Spain several issues arose with our (18 month old) Tio RL which I notified to IH via e-mail. I was given a date/time to suit me when we arrived back in the UK and have just returned from the factory at Knottingley where I have to say not only was everything dealt with without question but exceeded my expectations.

Some of the issues were minor and I could easily have dealt with them myself but they wanted to know, and deal with, anything I was concerned about - possibly the most serious was a crack that appeared in the drop down washbasin spashback. I wasn't sure if the ABS surface could be repaired but it didn't matter - they replaced the whole thing and it is now as good as new.

In this day and age, where purchase price plays such an important part in everyday decisions, it makes a pleasant change to know that if, or when, something does go wrong (and with the best will in the world things do) it is going to be dealt with efficiently and to a high standard.

Well done IH and thank you if you are reading this.

David

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

happy that you are pleased but at the prices they charge I should think so!lol

Still using cheap and unhygenic grey carpet on walls from what we saw at Excel....thought that went out of fashion in the 80's :-D

Hi Judge,

Yes, I suppose it's that old argument about what we all feel comfortable with. The most oft used comparator to IH vans is Murvi who do have quite a 'clinical' interior but some people really do like that sort of finish. Personally, we like the warmth, sound deadening and extra insulating properties of a carpeted wall.

The cost comaparator is quite an interesting subject as when we bought our van and compared it like for like with other vans (i.e. with all the same kit and caboodle) there really wasn't a great deal of difference in price. Sometimes I think we just see the 'windscreen' price of show vans but actually, when you look at the base prices, it is quite possible to get an IH at the same price as many other PVC's - including some of the contoinental versions.

David

Guest JudgeMental

Like I said David that you are happy is the main thing. but surely all items you mentioned would be covered under warranty on an 18 month old van anyway....

Why you think that carpet is necessary for decent insulation is frankly astonishing, it is just a very cheap, unhygienic, and old fashioned finish instead of properly formed wall panels. Cheaper German panel vans manage same level of finish as larger coach built vans so why not these so called bespoke companys. You would be hard pressed to find a better insulated van then the Globecar/possl range.

it is a real bug bare of mine I know!lol and I took loads of pictures at Excel show of these carpeted walled vans, Some of these vans are £55,000 - £65,000, the price of a very nice coach built! Madness to me, when you can get a 636 euro 5 Globecar with twin beds etc... for approx £30,000

But....................you don't see many Possl vans running about in England.............................

Sorry Judge, only teasing. It's all a matter of personal taste and how individuals assess value for money. I'm not saying that the carpeted walls are necessary for good insulation - this van is the first one we have had that I don't use insulated screens on in winter - but that we just FEEL it gives us a cosier interior. As for hygiene all the important areas like kitchen, toilet/shower have washable surfaces and the walls in the lounge can be vacuumed now and then - no more unhygienic methinks than carpet on the floor at home really.

Yes the van is only 18 months old and, as you say, is still covered under the warranty - the real point of the post is that of all the different motorhomes/caravans we have had (12 at the last count) - all of which have needed something doing under warranty - this has been the best service we have ever received from any dealer. That in itself has to be worth something and it is really hard to put a price on it.

David

Guest peter
Your'e quite right about the cheapo carpet on van walls Eddie. They do it because it's easy, just use spray adhesive and slap it on, job done. You used to see it in kit cars in the 80's, not £50k so called luxury vehicles. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Guest peter
Your'e quite right about the cheapo carpet on van walls Eddie. They do it because it's easy, just use spray adhesive and slap it on, job done. You used to see it in kit cars in the 80's, not £50k so called luxury vehicles. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Guest JudgeMental

It just really grates with me Peter!lol reminds me of the cheap VW conversions of my youth....

Weather getting worse down here! 24 today :-D

Guest peter

That's the brit's for you eddie. They expect poor quality and are quite happy when they get it. Not me I'm pleased to say. We always buy the best we can and would rather buy a better quality used van than an indifferent quality new one. We did it with our boat and paid a lot, but we've had it 20 Yrs and are still very happy with it. It's a swedish Nimbus and renowned for quality and safety. we've also done it with our vans, Rapido, Burstner and our final van the LeVoyageur.

You can keep british vans as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to hear about the temperature drop in spain Eddie, still raining here, had some sun today before it chucked it down with hail and a thunderstorm. Happy days eh. :D

Re the 'carpeting on walls' debate there are other issues that probably should be considered when assessing suitability. I've owned motorhomes with this finish and also prefabricated plastic panels and from experience I now prefer the carpeted variety but probably only in a van conversion.

Van conversions by their very nature are restricted in space and there is a strong tendency to lean against the walls whereas this is less likely in a roomier coachbuilt. Unlike plastic panelling the carpeted surface is both comfortable and warm to lean against. It does add to the insulation value as well as it provides an additional layer over and above the 'Acoutitherm' insulation behind it. A plastic faced wall is cold to the touch and in the early morning if you examine it carefully you'll find a slight trace of condensation which, if the van is well insulated, will quickly disappear but nevertheless is there and can be unpleasant to lean against.

Similar materials are employed extensively in the car industry and a car finished internally with plastic panelling all round would probably not be deemed desirable for the same reasons as already outlined. The supposition that the use of such material represents a cheap finish is a little misleading as the application is very labour intensive and requires skill and care and inevitably adds to the cost of the conversion. Even though it adds considerably to the acoustic qualities and helps to eliminate rattles inside a van conversion the overall cost of using it renders it a non-viable option for the volume manufacturers.

I understand and accept that some people just don't like it in a van conversion even though the carpet lining used is of a plastic construction. Plastic panelling I would accept has a certain aesthetic appeal for some peolpe and can give a cleaner line to the design but on a 'fitness for purpose' basis carpet lining has a lot to commend it. Everyone has a choice!

Graham

We went to see the IHs at the factory and were very impressed with them.Everything was designed to work.The end lounge model we were interested in has two long sofas that can be used as twin singles/large easily madeup double.SMALL dinnette at the front so if the weather is good and you are mostly living outside leave the bed made up.A cracking kitchen.Two tables, one of which unfolds very easily for your outdoor table.A BOOT for outside gear.Build quality to me looked very good.Nice people too. AND if you are buying new they will make some changes for you if you want them too and its possible.Not something you get in anymass manufacture however good.Not the cheapest vans in the world but you get what you pay for.

No Carpet on the walls of my new PVC which I picked up on Wednesday, just accurately trimmed and nicely finished coachboard.

Build quality to match or exceed IH I am sure. Not a hint of conversion noise. And the maker ?

ENC at Anstruther.

Guest Tracker

I don't understand this obsession with knocking British made vans?

Is it because those who have bought foreign made vans feel that they have to justify their lack of patriotism and support for UK made products?

I see nothing wrong with a good quality carpet style lining and in some places it is the best way of getting the maximum space out of what is already by it's very nature a more confined and odd shaped space than a square (ish) coachbuilt body?

It's a holiday vehicle for heaven's sake - designed to be practical and comfortable - not a mobile ego trip for owners to say how much better mine is than yours - unless egotism and egoism are your thing of course?

Why not accept that we are all different and just stop criticising UK made vans for no real reason other than personal prejudice?

Personally I am always pleased to hear of good service from any source - be it UK or foreign sourced.

Guest JudgeMental

FYI little Englander we are part of a EUROPEAN OPEN MARKET :-D

the critism is based on the CHEAP construction methods employed and more importantly the unjustified IMO and laughable price point. Are you seriously thinking that I would not buy a UK van if they were as well built and reasonably priced, you think I buy from Germany for fun....get a life

As per usual another example of your entirely small minded diatribe. More boringly UK fixated and prejudiced ramblings..... the mind boggles

Guest JudgeMental
HymerVan - 2012-04-21 7:53 AM

No Carpet on the walls of my new PVC which I picked up on Wednesday, just accurately trimmed and nicely finished coachboard.

Build quality to match or exceed IH I am sure. Not a hint of conversion noise. And the maker ?

ENC at Anstruther.

Ah you have you van it time for summer! :-D Have you a link as ENC are a new one on me....

Guest Tracker

Thanks Eddie - a totally predictable response from you as ever - such a shame that you are still unable to make your point without being unpleasant.

I suppose it was expecting too much really to get a civil response from you and one that addressed the issue rather than the individual.

And you tell me to get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HymerVan - 2012-04-21 7:53 AM

ENC at Anstruther.

Always been impressed with ENC's work and there is no question they do build to a very high standard. The last time I viewed them though they did have upholstered areas. Whilst its not the carpet lining mentioned in this thread it's fabric which is intended to deliver the same acoustic and insulation benefits. Come to think of it most of the PVC's I've viewed of late use the carpet lining only over severe surfaces and use flat upholtered panels as inserts around widows and doors etc. In mine for example most of the lounge area uses upholstered panels incorporating a thin foam backing. These are covered in a fabric to match the seating and are very comfortable to lean against. I thought ENC were the same. Have they changed this specification then?

Enjoy your motorhome.

Graham

peter - 2012-04-20 11:15 PM

That's the brit's for you eddie. They expect poor quality and are quite happy when they get it. Not me I'm pleased to say. We always buy the best we can and would rather buy a better quality used van than an indifferent quality new one. We did it with our boat and paid a lot, but we've had it 20 Yrs and are still very happy with it. It's a swedish Nimbus and renowned for quality and safety. we've also done it with our vans, Rapido, Burstner and our final van the LeVoyageur.

You can keep british vans as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to hear about the temperature drop in spain Eddie, still raining here, had some sun today before it chucked it down with hail and a thunderstorm. Happy days eh. :D

Really interesting view Peter. I personally don't expect poor quality neither am I happy to recieve it - hence the original post which is about GOOD SERVICE not whether my van is better than yours.

When we had coachbuilts we looked at Le Voyageur at the Dusseldorf Show but our personal choice at that time would have been a Carthargo (oops, German and, I believe, better quality than Le Voyageur) but we simply couldn't afford one, or a boat.

However, more recently, when we came to settle on a panel van we looked at all the manufacturers with an open mind (not just "only continental vans offer value for money" approach) and talked to many, at length, about the various aspects both good and bad about their particular models. I was excited when Burstner and others came into the market with panel vans but all they did was folloow the trend for a fixed rear bed initially and it just wasn't what we were looking for, neither did it have the spec that IH offer pretty much as standard. Also, as Poppy mentions above, IH were more than willing to make some fairly extensive modifications to the original design to suit our needs (see 'Living With an IH Tio RL' MMM November 2011) so we were to get a van tailor made to our needs. Finally, the showroom price of an IH with all the extras may look high (compared to some vans with less spec) but a) on a like for like basis the basic models are comaparable with many other manufacturers and b) they do not depreciate nearly as fast or by as much as many other manufacturers. There is a strong following and secondhand models do not hang around very long.

So, as I have said before, it is a matter of personal taste after taking in as much information as possible. There is not a motorhome on the market that will suit everyone and I wouldn't even contemplate advising that everyone should go out and buy an IH, but for many people it is an excellent choice - carpeted walls and all. Beyond the initial purchase price good service will always come high on my list of priorities and repeat business.

David

david lloyd - 2012-04-21 11:21 AM

Also, as Poppy mentions above, IH were more than willing to make some fairly extensive modifications to the original design to suit our needs (see 'Living With an IH Tio RL' MMM November 2011) so we were to get a van tailor made to our needs.

David

Read your review in MMM and filed it late last year in my notes folder for future use. IH is always a range that is in the running when I'm considering changing. I mentioned your article because it detailed the range of modifications that you asked for which were exactly my requirements. It was good to read that IH were so helpful.

Many thanks for a very useful article.

Graham

Hi Graham

Yes, I had a large wad of filed reviews before we started the hunt! Got there in the end though.

Not sure if you intend going to the Peterborough Show but while I was at the factory yesterday I got a sneak preview of their latest (20th Anniversary) Tio range in which they have incorporated some of the design elements of our version and it also includes a twin/double bed version on the MWB. May mean you wouldn't have to go to the lengths of specifying it as I did but I'm pretty sure they would still try to accomodate any changes you felt were necessary.

Best regards,

david

As regards continental vans.The big players i.e Hobby and Hymer for a start.They produce right hand vans for a large mARket on a large scale so of course, they can produce cheaper.Their left hand drive models will be dearer because the scale of production plus the market place are smaller.Sometimes the speck is not the same on the continent as for the UK either.IH and others like him are working on a much smaller scale and also that probably includes UK mass producers such as Swift for instance.The down side to a small scale producer is that you are always going to have to pay more.The upside is that you get a much more personalized service and product.

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2012-04-21 10:55 AM

Thanks Eddie - a totally predictable response from you as ever - such a shame that you are still unable to make your point without being unpleasant.

I suppose it was expecting too much really to get a civil response from you and one that addressed the issue rather than the individual.

And you tell me to get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

excuse me? You started this with your normal pathetic jingoistic flag flying BS. When you are riding around on an Italian chassis, and anything of any importance within the van including panels, doors, fridge, cooker, tanks, windows are probably of European manufacture :-D

Guest Tracker

If you know of any UK built base vehicles Eddie please share your knowledge with us all - similarly the interior contents over which we have little or no control - but we do have control about where they are all put together?

I have no issues with anyone who chooses to buy a foreign made van or of those that choose to use the EU rules to buy abroad and save money but I do have issues with your continual paranoid knocking of anything that does not fit in with your own point of view - and that includes UK made panel van conversions and all coachbuilts.

Having seen the way many vans from all countries are put together these days I am very happy with my 6 year old UK made pre Swift era Autocruise and I feel that the construction and quality of materials still stands up well in comparison with any other mass market van of that era and much better than many newer vans.

I don't expect you to ever agree with me on anything as you have made it quite clear that you are unable and unwilling to move on from the past history between us.

I don't expect you to agree but for you to disagree with courtesy would be one giant leap for mankind - maybe that is too big a leap for you?

Now be a good chap and see if you can reply addressing only the points under discussion without being rude or offensive!

Thanks.

Archived