Excellent Service

david lloyd

Guest JudgeMental
i just wish there was an "ignore" button on this site you petty stupid man. I suggest you take note of your own signature and look at what you say before pressing the send button.....it is you who are offensive and rude...... Fool

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Sorry Eddie - I must have misunderstood you - would you please remind me again where you posted your evidence that foreign built vans are better than UK built vans.

I'm really sorry but I can't seem to find your actual response to the points that I don't consider UK vans to be any better or worse than their continental counterparts and that UK made's continual knocking by you is unjustified?

You see I can manage to reply to you without calling you a bigot, a fool, petty, stupid, prejudiced, small minded, or any one of any number of insults that I might consider suit you - you really should try it sometime and your views might gain a bit more credibility?

Guest JudgeMental

You accuse me of being unpatriotic and use provocative terms calling me, an egotist and egotism is my thing ect..etc...But this is typical tracker, and most of us are wise to your tactics, you bait and then when i respond I am the monster!...Ha ha ha you are a despicable small minded cretin.

if you cant see the logic of buying a better equipped and better finished van for less money then more fool you...... nothing new there!

I have the photos at home on PC of this carpeted wall fiasco on vans costing upwards of £50,000 at Excel show, and nothing will convince me or anyone with half a brain that this is a better finish then a properly constructed van that looks like a mini coach built.that is before we start talking about lighting, size of fridge, size of tanks , gas tanks and weight distribution etc.....

Anyway 28 deg here, have had a swim and a shower now waiting for Syd and family to call and we are of for a nice Sunday lunch :-D

Many thanks to the right honourable Judge, Mental and to my honourable friends Peter and Tracker for keeping this thread alive and at the top of the page. However, may I remind said members that this particular thread was originally to place on record my own appreciation of some Excellent Service recieved from a manufacturer.

Personal preferences as to carpeted lining or GRP walls aside, the fact is that I made my choice of an IH after considering many different makes and models. It may not be the same choice as others would make but ultimately it was based on a whole range of criteria that this manufacturer met. I am more than pleased with the vehicle and now am able to share with forum members first hand experience of excellent after sales service - something that I have found lacking in many previous purchases.

Best regards to all of you, enjoy your motorhoming.

David

Guest JudgeMental
David you are a top bloke, but the above I find even more worrying then carpeted walls.:D That your past experiences are so poor, and expectation of service so low, that a dealer just doing what they should do, under an existing warranty, requires special praise I find very odd........Really a lamentable reflection on state of UK manufacturing. And why I will continue to buy in Europe where service is everything......

Isn't it great on this forum, you can't post anything denigrating a dealer 'cos it'll be pulled poste haste but the moment nyone posts anything with a positive slant on a manufacturer or dealer up pops Mr Mental to decry the need for remeddial works at all so why sohuld you be happy that you had good service?

Just for once I completely agree with Tracker!

D.

Guest JudgeMental
rather then use this as an excuse for a dig at me, I suggest you read through this with less prejudice.... fat chance I guess

JudgeMental - 2012-04-22 6:32 PM

David you are a top bloke, but the above I find even more worrying then carpeted walls.:D That your past experiences are so poor, and expectation of service so low, that a dealer just doing what they should do, under an existing warranty, requires special praise I find very odd........Really a lamentable reflection on state of UK manufacturing. And why I will continue to buy in Europe where service is everything......

Sorry Judge but my experiences of poor service extend far beyond this great realm of ours. In fact I have experience of American, German and Italian products - all of which came with problems. Sadly, as far as German engineering goes, I have a BMW X5 sat on the drive that has had to be recovered twice in six months and this time cost me in excess of £2k to be able to drive it again! It was the British dealer that had to pick up the pieces of the european manufacturer.

I return to my original post - that I have been as guilty as anyone else, in the past, of grumbling about the poor service given by some dealers and manufacturers even when a warranty is in force (is that Andy Stothert I hear crying in the background about Italian customer service?) but this time, credit where credit is due, IH have delivered above and beyond the warranty expectations I had. So I do feel it is worth mentioning because, sadly, in this WORLD it can be difficult to receive - never mind expect - good service.

Keep up the posts.

David

Guest peter

Well how about this Eddie, I bought a 1Lb packet of McVities biscuits today, and guess what, when I got home I weighed them and there was actually a pound there. I am going to write a letter to their customer service manager tomorrow thanking them for such sterling service in providing the goods that I had paid for.

I think the above analogy is relevant with regards Davids experience with his van supplier. :D

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2012-04-22 10:22 PM

Well how about this Eddie, I bought a 1Lb packet of McVities biscuits today, and guess what, when I got home I weighed them and there was actually a pound there. I am going to write a letter to their customer service manager tomorrow thanking them for such sterling service in providing the goods that I had paid for.

I think the above analogy is relevant with regards Davids experience with his van supplier. :D

Ha ha ha......spot on peter......amazing when there you are expecting to get short changed! I will check my biscuit supply tomorrow. :-D

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2012-04-22 3:19 PM

You accuse me of being unpatriotic and use provocative terms calling me, an egotist and egotism is my thing ect..etc...But this is typical tracker, and most of us are wise to your tactics, you bait and then when i respond I am the monster!...Ha ha ha you are a despicable small minded cretin.

if you cant see the logic of buying a better equipped and better finished van for less money then more fool you...... nothing new there!

I really must apologise for calling you an egotist with egotism being your 'thing' as you put it. I should have chosen my words more wisely but unfortunately I thought that a man of your obvious wit, charm and charisma would have been delighted to be recognised (not accused) as being a true egotist!

Unlike yourself I did not have to trawl back through several postings to find an insult to complain about as your postings each contain several, but I take your point and I really must try harder to stick to the topic rather than the poster -- I can only ask that you do the same please.

As for winding you up - well it really ain't hard is it! -

On the other hand only a true egotist would take a response defending UK products against unsubstantiated criticism as a deliberate attempt to wind him up as opposed to it being what it was - a defense of UK vans which in my own experience of a mere 38 years have always served me very well. Then again I have never owned a Swift or bought from Brownhills - lucky me!

I too have had a bellyfull of alleged German quality over the years and I too will never allow another 'quality' BMW to clutter up my drive when Jaguars are better to drive and ride in, better to look at, and no more costly to own and run.

Now if you have a proper opinion on quality and service I am happy to read about it - if not I look forward to some more insults from you.

peter - 2012-04-22 10:22 PM

How extraordinary. I too have had packets of biscuits - and indeed other consumables, that have been the correct weight.

However, I have also had motorhomes with 'warranty' that when they have not been exactly what was described on the tin (or in the handbook etc) or have not worked in the way I expected - whether British or 'european' - sometimes it has not been dealt with in the way one would expect. So, although I do expect good service (from British or 'european' suppliers) sometimes it is not always a given.

Now, just in case it has been difficult to follow this thread as it meanders around europe, I am simply stating the case that on this occasion IH Motorhomes not only rectified items on my motorhome (as they promised to do under the warranty) they also did some things far in excess of what was expected. To give you another example. They rectified two issues with the FIAT (is that european?) base vehicle that some dealers would have refused to handle saying that they are not their responsibility.

I think I got more than 1lb in my packet of biscuits on this occasion.

David

Guest JudgeMental

Yep Fiat European ...along with the toilet, fridge, cooker, heating system, awning etc....etc.....probably every other part you can think of as well :D

My Adria, nearly 12 months old (2011 MMM van if the year) has had no faults whatsoever...do you think Adria deserve a special mention *-)

I feel sorry for you Tracker you have so much to put up with in this life. For the record I find your post well thought out and informative. We like IH and would have happily bought their J500 coach built but unfortunately there was insufficient storage to accommodate our dogs buggy (sadly we lost her last night) a folding bike, the BBQ and a couple of big folding chairs so we finished up with an AutoTrail with a garage. Another British built van and every bit as good as the previous Rapido it replaced.

What this forum needs is a tool to enable those of us who wish to to filter out abusive postings. Me I find them amusing. Sadly for some reason I never seem to manage to get any aimed at me. It's as if I don't exist.

Well David I, for one, appreciate your posting this as I will at some point be changing my unit and this type of comment will be taken into account when choosing both manufacturer and dealer.

As has been pointed out above, we cannot slate those providers that are guilty of poor service (on here anyway), so those who have a history of excellent service should be highlighted.

Those whose name does not get mentioned are then known, by default, to be either poor or mediocre.

Guest Tracker
Colin Leake - 2012-04-23 5:06 PM

I feel sorry for you Tracker you have so much to put up with in this life..

Thanks Colin - I really appreciate your concern - it brings a tear to my eye - a very different kind of tear than the thoughts of Eddie it must be said!

Please don't feel sorry for me because as well as the one heavy cross that I have to carry I have a lot of joy in my life and am fortunate to be able to spend most of most days wearing a broad grin - except when it's cold when just a grin does not keep me warm!

Life's too short to take myself seriously!

Colin Leake - 2012-04-23 10:41 PM

The only thing that does concern me is the apparent need to return the unit to the manufacturers for warranty work. Living in Kent as we do this could be problem unless we happened to be heading north on holiday.

Have a look on their website Colin:

http://www.ihmotorhomes.com/

they have just introduced a nationwide warranty with new vehicles sold from April this year. Has to be better than taking a van back to a German dealer eh?

david

Well, yes David, but what does that really mean? Bold words, most manufacturers claim something similar, but then the buyer often finds the only people willing to undertake warranty work are those who sold the van. The web ad gives no clues that I could find as to scope, and I particularly liked the "*Terms and conditions apply" caveat. I'm not knocking, but before that little statement gave me any comfort I'd want to know in some detail what it actually covered.

Fiat cover the big bit except any holes etc made during conversion. After all, the heater, fridge, toilet, electrical packs(12V and mains), etc will all be individually warranted by their manufacturers, so the risk of substantial claims that cannot be recovered is low. That, more or less, leaves the furniture and soft furnishings, plus wallboards and insulation, and their own workmanship, for which the converter carries direct risk.

IH charge top dollar for their vans and whereas it is good to know that when things go wrong they go the proverbial mile, and more, to put them right, that is, in truth, no more than one should expect at their price level. In truth, it is exactly what one should expect, and receive, at any price level. To me, this reflects more what we, as buyers, are being lulled into seeing as exceptional service than what, in reality is exceptional service. As a certain varnish manufacturer is fond of boasting: "it does what it says on the tin", and so it should. No more, no less.

david lloyd - 2012-04-24 7:42 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-04-23 10:41 PM

The only thing that does concern me is the apparent need to return the unit to the manufacturers for warranty work. Living in Kent as we do this could be problem unless we happened to be heading north on holiday.

Have a look on their website Colin:

http://www.ihmotorhomes.com/

they have just introduced a nationwide warranty with new vehicles sold from April this year. Has to be better than taking a van back to a German dealer eh?

Good news indeed.

david

Glad you find IH a good bunch David. We always look at the IH vans when we go to the shows. They do look good and have a good finish. The company also seem to try to do something different with their layouts, which is also good. We did like the IH Oregon RL and at one time probably would have bought one but we decided we needed something a bit bigger than a PVC with a fixed bed.

Good luck

Brian Kirby - 2012-04-24 9:27 PM

IH charge top dollar for their vans and whereas it is good to know that when things go wrong they go the proverbial mile, and more, to put them right, that is, in truth, no more than one should expect at their price level. In truth, it is exactly what one should expect, and receive, at any price level. To me, this reflects more what we, as buyers, are being lulled into seeing as exceptional service than what, in reality is exceptional service. As a certain varnish manufacturer is fond of boasting: "it does what it says on the tin", and so it should. No more, no less.

If we are being lulled into feeling that the service we are receiving is "exceptional" then we are being lulled into thinking that the service we are experiencing is (by definition) an exception or uncommon. I think many people of experience with motorhomes and more particularly experience of dealers at home and abroad will readily recognise when the service they are receiving is uncommon and an exception. The other end of the scale also applies - service can be exceptionally bad. Again, I think most experienced people can recognise when the poor service they have received is the exception or uncommon.

Graham

Archived