..............And about time too!

Symbol Owner

Guest pelmetman

Yep :-D ......................as a dog owner Colin, I think its long overdue :D..........

It would be a good idea to microchip the yobs as well ;-)

Totally agree Maggyd

And this idea is long overdue. We pay a lump sum up front for the microchip and for our dogs details to be kept on the register. So we are already effectively voluntarily paying for a "dog licence". I hope this compulsory microchipping will introduce an effective licensing system.

As a now (used to be) dog owner. I am curious, does the chip apply while on holiday abroad? I know lots of you take your pets away with you. I guess maybe the name on collar, (if looked at by dog catchers) should tell them?

PJay

Agreed. My last two dogs from Rescue Centres were microchipped [i had to pay] but it is such a sensible idea. I don't know what my dogs thought although I would hope that had they got lost, they'd be delighted if the chip helped them come home. They also carried their name and telephone number on their collar.

Can we start on cats now, especially the one that has wrecked part of my fence with its claws as it walks along the the top edge, and the others who seem to think they can use my garden as a toilet. I do not understand why some cat owners think their cats should have freedom to roam.

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2012-04-22 10:34 AM

As a now (used to be) dog owner. I am curious, does the chip apply while on holiday abroad? I know lots of you take your pets away with you. I guess maybe the name on collar, (if looked at by dog catchers) should tell them?

PJay

The micro chip is an essential part of the pet passport Scheme PJ, it's how they cross check the dog with the passport ;-)

Guest Tracker
Brock - 2012-04-22 10:41 AM

Agreed. My last two dogs from Rescue Centres were microchipped [i had to pay] but it is such a sensible idea. I don't know what my dogs thought although I would hope that had they got lost, they'd be delighted if the chip helped them come home. They also carried their name and telephone number on their collar.

Can we start on cats now, especially the one that has wrecked part of my fence with its claws as it walks along the the top edge, and the others who seem to think they can use my garden as a toilet. I do not understand why some cat owners think their cats should have freedom to roam.

Interesting that your dog had their own telephone number! I have tried to teach our Rosie to use a mobile phone but even though she is quite a bright border collie she just can't grasp the principle of dialing with a paw!

Cats are a different thing entirely - nobody 'owns' a cat - cats 'belong' wherever they feel happiest - which is usually where there is a good supply of food and somewhere warm and safe to sleep!

Try a dilute Jeyes fluid solution applied by watering can as this is a very good cat (and dog) deterrent and will not harm grass or plants.

You can even apply this to your car and van wheels, gate posts, driveway and anything else liable to get peed upon to discourage dogs and/or cats from loitering with intent!

I would think the vast majority have their dogs microchipped, we certainly do and everyone we know of does. I guess the target is the chavs with their Staffies or maybe those who breed dogs for fighting or badger baiting. How are the police going to know if they are chipped? Will they profile them and stop and scan the dogs? Somehow I don't think so. What about their human rights?

It would be nice if they did but like dog licences, it isn't going to work because those same people will ignore it.

Guest peter
malc d - 2012-04-21 8:48 PM

Tracker - 2012-04-21 8:26 PM

And fit a tracking device in some motor homes so their owners can be avoided!

Mention no names of course!

Ah. So that's how you got your nickname.

:-|

That's correct Malc. The tracking "device" is the stench from his toilet. :D

To be avoided at all costs. ;-)

Lord Braykewynde - 2012-04-22 9:36 PM

I would think the vast majority have their dogs microchipped, we certainly do and everyone we know of does. I guess the target is the chavs with their Staffies or maybe those who breed dogs for fighting or badger baiting. How are the police going to know if they are chipped? Will they profile them and stop and scan the dogs? Somehow I don't think so. What about their human rights?

It would be nice if they did but like dog licences, it isn't going to work because those same people will ignore it.

As I understand it - the law will allow a non chipped dog to be siezed. Various options then ensue. Chipping is but a first and very welcome step.

One point I would say LB is that the Staffy is a great dog, friendly and normally not aggresive at all. Sadly due to its looks it is popular as a chav status dog. The Staffy, in my view is a breed of dog that is as much a victim of the current chav stupidity as any other party.

peter - 2012-04-22 9:41 PM

malc d - 2012-04-21 8:48 PM

Tracker - 2012-04-21 8:26 PM

And fit a tracking device in some motor homes so their owners can be avoided!

Mention no names of course!

Ah. So that's how you got your nickname.

That's correct Malc. The tracking "device" is the stench from his toilet. :D

To be avoided at all costs. ;-)

Oh, I see.

I thought he was saying that HE was called Tracker so that he could be avoided.

Once again a kneejerk reaction. How is this going to adress the violent dog breeders it's already illegal to breed dangerous dogs. The law abiding among us already comply with the dog owning rules, yes my Basset hound is chipped so that he can be returned to me if he strays he has a tag with his name address and phone number to help his recovery if he strays and two lables stating I'm tagged scan me. Can you realy visualise the Hare cousing, Badger baiting and dog fighting brigade doing any of this. Confiscate the property and animals of any Breeder and user of this type of dog and make the punishment fit he crimes. Dogs are man's best friend but man is not always dogs best friend. John.

Whilst I do not agree that this is a knee-jerk reaction - I see it as a considered response that will allow the authorities to do something about "status dog" breeders and the owners, I certainly agree with the last part of your post John.

At the moment these dangerous dogs are produced for those that want the four legged equivelent of a knife or a gun. It HAS to be stopped.

The rescue centres are full of Pit Bull look-a-likes that nobody wants. If you want a "normal" rescue dog these days you look to Ireland and even Greece.

If the authorities can stop and check any dog and link the dog to an owner then this is a start and a move in the right direction for the England (and N.I. where this law already exists I think?) and I hope the rest of the UK follows soon.

I want this scheme to work, I hope it does.

And whilst I have every sympathy for the poor woman whose son was killed by a Pit Bull who now says on TV that she wants more done, I would point out that Pit Bulls are already banned so what the hell were her family doing leaving a child with a dangerous dog of a banned breed? Surely some responsibility must be levelled at those in charge of the dog AND the child?

What were they thinking having a Pit Bull in the first place!!! - And to have one with a Todler - beggars belief.

The rule for ANY dog is that you do NOT leave them unattended with children. We saw this with a Jack Russell years ago that was sweetness and light with its owner and other adults but turned into a vicious nightmare of a dog when a young baby was brought into the house.

If you have a dog - you have responsibilities. Responsible dog owners will welcome this move.

Guest pelmetman
With any law the devil will be in the detail ;-)...............as without proper verification whats to stop people giving a false name & address when they have their dog micro chipped? *-)

Guest Tracker

That's correct The tracking "device" is the stench from his toilet.

Now if I had made that sort of comment to you there would have been all manner of insults flying in my direction!

However as I have no intention of ever making such a tasteless comment to anyone you have nothing to get over excited about!

Oh sorry - it was meant as a joke - how can I tell - simples - because you posted a smiley with it - well that makes it all OK!

Now let us see how you respond to my response to your bait casting shall we!

Ha ha ha!

pelmetman - 2012-04-23 7:59 PM

With any law the devil will be in the detail ;-)...............as without proper verification whats to stop people giving a false name & address when they have their dog micro chipped? *-)

I would imagine the programme that allows the name and postcode to be married up as we see on so many websites these days. What I consider to be more of a problem is fake micro-chips. If credit cards cards cn be cloned - I am sure there will be a market for dodgy dog ID chips.

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2012-04-23 8:22 PM

dodgy dog

I'd suggest nobody "Google" that 8-) 8-).................................. :D

Guest peter
Tracker - 2012-04-23 8:12 PM

That's correct The tracking "device" is the stench from his toilet.

Now if I had made that sort of comment to you there would have been all manner of insults flying in my direction!

However as I have no intention of ever making such a tasteless comment to anyone you have nothing to get over excited about!

Oh sorry - it was meant as a joke - how can I tell - simples - because you posted a smiley with it - well that makes it all OK!

Now let us see how you respond to my response to your bait casting shall we!

Ha ha ha!

Just in case you don't know Richard, I don't aim insults at anyone. Take the piss, yes, certainly. I'm sorry that you seem to have had a sense of humour bypass. I can assure you that I can take it as well as dish it out. If someone is witty enough, that is. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :-> :-> :-> :-> :->

Archived