Motorhome Real M.P.G.

Caddies104

Hi

For anyone who maybe wishing to change Motorhomes in the near future and would like to know what to expect fom a particular Make and Model, perhaps readers could write in to say what theirs does, rather than go on what the glossy mags quote....

So to start off the thread

2011 Auto Trail Apache 632, 2.3 Ltr diesel, currently doing 27.6 m.p.g after 5,200 miles (lol)

Derek & Pauline

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Auto Sleeper Nuevo 2.0 hdi Peugeot 2004 - 26.4 mpg - 13,000 miles in 2005/6

Autocruise Starspirit 2. hdi Peugeot 2004 - 25.9 mpg - 9000 miles in 2007/8

Autotrail Tracker 2.3 Fiat 2006 - 26.8 mpg - 12,000 miles in 2008/9

Autocruise Starlet (aka Starburst) 2.2 hdi Peugeot 2006 - 27.8 mph - 23,000 miles in 2009/12

Best engine for power - Fiat 2.3 d

Best engine for quiet and smooth and economy (if 'economy' is the right word!) - Peugeot 2.2 hdi

Autosleeper Duetto 2.5DI (non-turbo) on a MK5 Transit over 80,000 miles 34.2 mpg

Autosleeper Duetto 2.4 (turbo) on a MK7 Transit over 33,000 miles 34.4 mpg

Yes I know that they are very similar in consumption, in spite of the MK5 being 78bhp and the MK7 being 140bhp, but that is what I have logged over the last 11 years (the first was driven, pedal to the metal all the time, the second just ambles along).

The major factor in getting good M.P.G. surely has to be the way the vehicle is driven.

How many times do you hear " She``ll cruise at 75-80 M.P.H. all day no problem ".

Is it then any wonder that some people on get 20 or so M.P.G.

I travel at about 55-56 M.P.H. with the cruise set and get over 30 M.P.G.

The next factor has to be servicing, my van gets oil and all the filters changed every year even though my handbook says it only needs it every 2 years. I personally think 2 years is too long especially if like a lot of vans there are periods when the van just sits there. Not enough use can be worse than too much.

Moisture is a " killer " in an engine and if it`s not used regular it doesn`t get burnt off like it should.

Compass Castaway, Peugeot 2.8 HDi............30.3 M.P.G..........25,000 miles...........2007--date.

Hymer 544 05; 28 and a bit mpg over 36,000 miles in 7 years. Best was 32mpg on easy running, worse 26 mpg. I tend to aim for 56mpg on long runs and consider I drive defensively with a good eye for the road. Then again, my son reckons i drive at too low a rev for a turbo diesel.

Previous 2000 Arto did 27mpg over 42,000 miles in 5 years and up to 33 mpg in Germany. Previous to that, my two Swift Royales, both overcab coachbuilts did 27 mpg, one was non turbo bit drove well with the foot flat down all the time. First motorhome, Elddis Voyager on a Talbot diesel did 26mpg. Ryales and the Voyager average 9,000 miles pa.

Well done folks,

This is what we wanted, good info for anyone looking for there next Van whether old or new....

Our previous Motorhome was a Swift Suntor 530LP. 2Ltr Diesel....Had done 22k and averaged 29.8mpg

we also tend to do around 52- 55mph

Keep building up the information

Murvi Morello PVC 3Ltr Auto, uprated to 3850kg, to give a useable payload.

Auto air suspension on front, Dunlops on rear, 27mpg over 15,000miles over 3 years

Cruise 65-70mph over long journeys otherwise we just amble around.

Last run to Spain we towed a Smart on a trailer and to our surprise we still averaged 27mpg

Hope this helps

John

It just occured to me that the Autosleeper Owners Club publish members fuel consumption data at:

http://www.asoc.fsnet.co.uk/tech_group/fuel_info.htm

and this may help give you a wider view of fuel economy (at least for Autosleeper vehicles). It should be possible to use these data to estimate the probable consumption of similar motorhomes made by other manufacturers.

Hi,

2005 Burstner Delfin Performance (now sold) 3ltr Renault Master 36243 miles over 6 years at 26.83 mpg.

Always used cheapest available fuel!

Geoff.

PS Having used supermarket fuel in my car for two years I changed a few months ago to premium diesel and consumption has gone down from 47.1 to 46 (according to the car computer)! *-)

Guest Tracker
Hawcara - 2012-04-22 5:17 PM

Interestingly set speed by sat nav at 56, speedo reads nearly 60! B-)

Our Fiat based Tracker did the same but all the Peugeot speedos have been about 7% fast - don't ask me why - you can ask me if you like but I don't know as all had standard fit tyres on standard wheels!

Great idea however you need to bring all these together onto a spreadsheet format to be of any use to someone looking to compare various makes/models/engine size etc etc...

2004 Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD - IH Camper PCV LWB - gets around 30 MPG

I look forward to seeing the finished comparison chart

K ;-)

Hi,

Have owned camper from new. The main mileage has been run-up in Europe.

Rapido 2003, 2.8 JTD 3850kg (uprated for extra Payload) 54800 miles.

My mpg readings are from Jan. 2009 and include trips down to spain, various places in the UK, then in Feb. 2011 down to Morocco, then various Rallies again in the UK, some times towing a Nissan Micra. I usually try to keep my speed to around 90kmh. The average taken over the last 54 fillups = 23.90mpg, the best ever was 29.69 attained in Morocco, (56p Lt) must have had a down hill tail wind!

Hope this info helps

LordThornber - 2012-04-23 8:13 PM

bob b - 2012-04-22 11:06 AM

I have never bothered to check. I just pump in the fuel and use it. Ignorance is bliss!

I'm with you on that Bob

Martyn

Same here - if worried too much about it, I would sell the van and stay in B&B's instead, losing a whole lifestyle......... Not prepared to do that so just drive sensibly and take the pain at the pumps

Archived