Burstner A class bed lifter replacement and hab door gas strut

Zyroman

Hello, I have just ordered a replacement for the strut that controls the movement of the Seitz habitation door on my van as the old one did nothing. Got the replacement from SGS who have so far provided an efficient service, I went to fit it today and am not sure it is right. It is under pressure and is fully extended, the result of this was that although it does slow the motion of the door it actually pushes it open rather quickly until it reaches it's limit. Can anyone tell me how it SHOULD work ? I also need to get the bed lifters re-gassed which is a service SGS also offer. All of my six foot 47 year old body can barely lift the bed as it stands. I looked at it today and using some logic I though that if the bed was fully lifted the units would not be under tension and could be removed, that might be the case but they certainly felt to be under some tension and I decided discretion was the better part of valour. I did remove the bottom of the forward arm which connects the bed to the end of the strut at the top but that didn't seem to make any difference, again, can anyone offer any assistance?

Regards

David

Zyroman - 2012-04-22 2:54 PM

Hello, I have just ordered a replacement for the strut that controls the movement of the Seitz habitation door on my van as the old one did nothing. Got the replacement from SGS who have so far provided an efficient service, I went to fit it today and am not sure it is right. It is under pressure and is fully extended, the result of this was that although it does slow the motion of the door it actually pushes it open rather quickly until it reaches it's limit. Can anyone tell me how it SHOULD work ? I also need to get the bed lifters re-gassed which is a service SGS also offer. All of my six foot 47 year old body can barely lift the bed as it stands. I looked at it today and using some logic I though that if the bed was fully lifted the units would not be under tension and could be removed, that might be the case but they certainly felt to be under some tension and I decided discretion was the better part of valour. I did remove the bottom of the forward arm which connects the bed to the end of the strut at the top but that didn't seem to make any difference, again, can anyone offer any assistance?

Regards

David

Hi David,

I carried out this same replacement on our Hymer. You can read aboutit here:

http://www.motorhometoday.co.uk/index.php?/topic/3971-replacement-gas-rams-on-a-class-drop-bed/

Includes some photos for clarity.

Hope that hepls. Send PM if I can help more.

Regards,

Hi Ian, I had found your post and used it as a guide but when I started levering the strut off it seemed to be under a lot of pressure, when it moved slightly from the plain portion of the mounting stud over the lip to the threaded portion it made a very loud thump which is what put me off, all this was with the bed at the highest position.

Hi David,

When you say that the bed was at it's highest was this highest on the rams or propped up? We put a peice of wood under the bed to make sure it was as high as it would go and also to take the weight of the bed while each ram was replaced in turn. As I remember there was a little preasure on the rams right up until the bed was as high as it could go. Have you removed the mattress first as this may give extra movement?

Edited to add: My only other thought is maybe the rams have previously been replaced by some of greater length although I don't know how the tension would have been managed.

David,

Burstner are part of the Hymer group and I can't see them using different rams and supporting mechanisms when they could simply fit the same part in all group MHs. I know the chap who sold me the rams had a Burstner and the rams on that had the same serial numbers, apart from their date markings of course.

Archived