All the Aires

Gwendolyn

Tracker - 2012-04-23 8:46 PM

I am not used to you pointing three fingers at me - it's usually just the two - or even just the one!

I'm happy to give my views without knocking anyone else's views as the more differing views that are presented on each topic the more confused the readers should become!

Could you explain that last post one more time as i am now a bit confused at all the mentions of views in the post :D :D :D

JudgeMental - 2012-04-23 4:24 PM

as most of us use sat navs in this day and age, you can find FREE downloads of campsites and aires on the net. Archies camping good for site downloads...

search for "79 best aires of france" on here, not comprehensive but a small selection of tried and tested aires available as a free download, we always select this file first when looking

I find it much easier when tired to find nearest Aires this way, then fiddling around with a book and coordinates

Thanks for the information on Archiescampings.com what a great (free) online site!

I've even invested £1.20 on the Android phone App which works simply from GPS and not over the web so it's free when 'on the continent'. Really good graphic mapping and 30,128 sites all for £1.20.

Now the navigator can hold the map in one hand, phone in the other and work the sat nav with errr....

Guest JudgeMental
nice to have you back Momma! (I think trackers getting emotional.....So am I with a very good wine for £2 a Bottle :-D)

Guest JudgeMental
Matrix Meanderer - 2012-04-23 9:03 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-04-23 4:24 PM

as most of us use sat navs in this day and age, you can find FREE downloads of campsites and aires on the net. Archies camping good for site downloads...

search for "79 best aires of france" on here, not comprehensive but a small selection of tried and tested aires available as a free download, we always select this file first when looking

I find it much easier when tired to find nearest Aires this way, then fiddling around with a book and coordinates

Thanks for the information on Archiescampings.com what a great (free) online site!

I've even invested £1.20 on the Android phone App which works simply from GPS and not over the web so it's free when 'on the continent'. Really good graphic mapping and 30,128 sites all for £1.20.

Now the navigator can hold the map in one hand, phone in the other and work the sat nav with errr....

By george he has got it! who needs expensive books!.... :-D

Don't honestly think he wants to sell the book hence the price *-) a good cheap way of having a go at Vicarious books with all those off here who have read it and no doubt it will have spread to other forums as this kind of thing tends to do.

We bought the first one but have always preferred Camperstop and still use it, with its matching Sat Nav co ordinates.

Mandy

Mandy&Andy - 2012-04-24 6:45 AMDon't honestly think he wants to sell the book hence the price - a good cheap way of having a go at Vicarious books...

Yup, that was my take too, and hats off to him for his creativity.

Have half-interestedly tried a few written and electronic ways of traversing France and decided that the best way for us is to simply bumble until we discover a suitable spot - be that on an aire or otherwise.

It avoids the disappointment of navigating to a specific aire to find it's horrible, or full, or both.

No guide required.

Guest JudgeMental
Bought the extreamly thin:-S aires of Spain and Portugal...Hardly any content, what an utter waste of money! A good proportion of the thin entry's are truck stops with dire warnings about staying on them!... truly a rip of *-)

Guest JudgeMental
Bought the extremely thin:-S Aires of Spain and Portugal...sounds impressive? Well I can assure you its not, hardly any content, what an utter waste of money! A good proportion of the thin entry's are truck stops with dire warnings about staying on them!... truly a rip of *-)

I guess it's all down to preference, we like to have various books collected over the last couple of years plus POIs from Archies etc. The POIs are loaded onto Autoroute which is converted to a Sat NAv with the addition of a Blue Tooth GPS receiver.

As we have wandered France and Germany we have built a database (MS Access) of details of sites that we have visited including some pictures and Google Maps links. This database now has over 240 sites and will grow again this Summer.

All combined this gives us an educated guess on where to avoid and where to visit again!

Just a fortnight to go and we will be on the French roads again :-D

The thing about the travelling hobby, lifestyle is that we can all do it whatever way we like. We have different likes and dislikes and different ways of doing things. Sometimes we learn from other's, on forums and other media, of different ways of doing things and that is good. But whichever way we do things, as long as we are happy is what counts :-D

Archived