"Up-sizing" update & "Tugging" again

Gwendolyn

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request [a couple of months ago] for info on up-sizing to a [slightly] larger van than our Symbol.

Once we got back from Spain at the end of March the hunt began, armed with the “shopping list” compiled from all the suggestions given.

And then a couple of weeks ago I sought more advice on the matter of Adria Twin v Hymer Van. Again, based on the responses, we upped the budget and made some “rejections”.

In the end, after looking at what was available in our price range, and taking into account what dealers were prepared to give us for our Symbol in part ex, and importantly, after some very helpful PMs from a Forum member, we settled on a Hobby Van.

We collect it tomorrow and set off for 2 months in France early in May. The help and advice from Forum members has been invaluable.

As for “Tugging again” – heresy here!!! - we still have our small caravan. We have dithered about getting rid of it since we bought the Symbol in the summer of 2010, but have been too busy travelling to be here long enough to see to doing it.

Anyway, we have found a use for it again.

I had booked to see 3 operas and O/H is definitely not keen. As there is a CC site on the outskirts of the city where I was opera going, we took the caravan. I drove off to the theatre every evening while O/H was at the site watching a DVD and relaxing with a glass of wine. It would not have been possible in the motorhome.

Conclusion: caravan for UK breaks like that; motorhome for touring in Europe. Caravan gets a reprieve, for now at least. Born Again Part-time Tugger!

It's a 2009 Hobby Van.

Ford Transit chassis.

13,000 miles on clock. Fixed bed [yeah!].

About same width and height as our Symbol and only about 2’ longer. Still just under 6 metres in length.

Originally looking for a PVC…. but Hobby Van had made the shortlist.

A Forum member did offer excellent advice and told us what to ask the dealer. And we are buying it from the place where we bought the Symbol. That proved to be a Good Buy! So we trust the dealer [so far], even though it is a long trek from West Wales to collect it. We will have an overnight stop on way home to try things out.

Well….. don’t know too much about technical stuff….. it has brown curtains!!!!

Gwendolyn - 2012-04-23 4:26 PM

In the end, after looking at what was available in our price range, and taking into account what dealers were prepared to give us for our Symbol in part ex, and importantly, after some very helpful PMs from a Forum member, we settled on a Hobby Van.

....from what I remember of your original posts, that seems like a pretty good choice against your "requirements".

I hope you get a good example of what is a good 'van, and I'm sure Mr Kirby will approve. ;-)

Enjoy!

Guest pelmetman
Gwendolyn - 2012-04-23 5:05 PM

Well….. don’t know too much about technical stuff….. it has brown curtains!!!!

BROWN CURTAINS 8-) 8-).........Gwendolyn!.............. Brown curtains are just Sooooo yesterday *-)

I hope you got a decent discount for that fashion fop ah ;-)

A good choice to go for what the Germans call a van. Not much bigger than a hightop but more room inside, I think we would probably have bought one if there had been one available when we bought the Adria Twin. I presume that the Hobby is very similar to the Hymer Van 522, so much the same layout as we have.

Good to hear you got what you wanted Gwendolyn, If you come to Southern France we could offer a stop for a night or two, a small wine village in the Minervois.

JamesFrance - 2012-04-23 7:01 PM

A good choice to go for what the Germans call a van. Not much bigger than a hightop but more room inside, I think we would probably have bought one if there had been one available when we bought the Adria Twin. I presume that the Hobby is very similar to the Hymer Van 522, so much the same layout as we have.

Good to hear you got what you wanted Gwendolyn, If you come to Southern France we could offer a stop for a night or two, a small wine village in the Minervois.

Thank you very much James. A lovely offer. I'll book mark the thread and will PM you if we find we have wandered in that direction.

Plans very loose atm!

I had booked to see 3 operas and O/H is definitely not keen. As there is a CC site on the outskirts of the city where I was opera going, we took the caravan. I drove off to the theatre every evening while O/H was at the site watching a DVD and relaxing with a glass of wine. It would not have been possible in the motorhome.

Conclusion: caravan for UK breaks like that; motorhome for touring in Europe. Caravan gets a reprieve, for now at least. Born Again Part-time Tugger!

3 Opera's, wow you must be a real fan. We were lucky enough to go to Glyndebourne a few years ago, fortunately the company we worked for paid as I am not sure we could have afforded it ourselves!

David

Klyne - 2012-04-23 8:57 PM

3 Opera's, wow you must be a real fan. We were lucky enough to go to Glyndebourne a few years ago, fortunately the company we worked for paid as I am not sure we could have afforded it ourselves!

David

Well a fan, yes, but seeing 3 like that is not usual for me. Because the company does a short visit, and does 3 different operas over 3 consecutive evenings, if I want to see all 3, there is no alternative. Usually, I only want to see 1 or 2 in the repertoire.

The other thing is of course, we spend so much time abroad that I have to ‘squash’ all my UK based interests into the short spells that I am home. Went to Stratford the week before to see 2 plays at the RSC - my main ‘passion’ - and combined that with the trip to view, and buy, our new-to-us Hobby Van.

Bit of a “culture overdose” atm! I need to chill out in the motorhome….

Archived