Transit fuel filter.

ericg

I have a Fendt K500 on a Ford Transit 2.2 diesel 2009 registered.Can anyone tell me how to change the fuel filter. I changed the filter on my previous van which was a 2.4 rwd ford transit no problem,but after looking on line it seems people are having air lock problems when changing the fuel filter on the 2.2. Thanks

First off welcome, for Transit info the best webforum is

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=680278a2a8c69f38163b2c0105f75117

If yours is the same as mine and I think it is, it is push and turn, a bit like changing a light bulb.

The fuel filter must be filled with clean diesel before fitting, as the pump must never be run when dry.

Only use the correct Ford filter, there are some other good ones (Mann for instance) but some of the cheaper ones will not do, the filter has to filter down to, off the top of my head 30microns, anyway very fine.

If you go to Ford Etis (google etis) you can download a service schedule and get some basic info.

Only use the specified oil in the engine and gearbox, and use the better branded fuel (I like Shell, I do 2 mpg more on it).

Never tow start it, the cam sprocket/chain will jump teeth and wreck the camshaft carrier, bolts, bend a valve or two etc.

Good luck.

H

I would buy the part from Ford with full vehicle details as there are 2 virtually identical filters which fit but you must fit the one linked to your vehicle chassis number. There are several posts on this issue on the Ford Transit forum which is essential viewing for all Trannie owners. The site is populated by Ford Technicians and enthusiasts. I would post your question there if I were you.

I fitted a fuel filter on my 2.4 Transit and it is essential to fill the filter with diesel before fixing it back on.

Guest 1footinthegrave
This is something I'm about to do on my Ducato, so may not be exactly the same, but from what I have been told is as others have said is fill the filter with clean diesel, may need to allow the filter to absorb it, then top up again. Now attach filter, with mine it's a screw like an oil filter, then the advice is ( again not knowing if the Ford is the same ) is to switch on the ignition but do not attempt engine start and listen for any fuel pump to stop cycling, on the Ducato the pump is in the fuel tank, when all is silent you should be able to start your engine, BUT as others have said check with other Ford users to be sure. ;-)

Ford Transit fuel filters need to be pre filled with clean diesel (don't be tempted to use the stuff out of the old filter) and even then you may need to pressure fill it once fitted with a fuel system priming pump (less than atenner but messy to use on Transits). The problem is that the Transit does not have a lift pump in the tank and the leak back goes through the filter so once air is present in the filter head the pump only pulls air in through the leak back pipe from filter head to tank.

The later Ducato (1999 onwards from memory) is a muchly different beast that has an electric lift pump in the tank, after replacing the filter turn the ignition on but don't start the engine and listen for the sound of bubbles in the tank. Once the sound stops tun off the ignition and wait 20 seconds then turn the igniton back on and listen. repeat this until you hear no bubbling in the tank and the filter is now filled, you can now start the engine.

D.

Archived