Suitable tow car?

nightrider

Guest JudgeMental
I towed my Pennine (I think it was the Aztec smallest model) with a Fiat Uno Turbo which is probably smaller...

Towed weight is not supposed to exceed 85% of tow vehicle weight, don't forget the caravan will be heaver when you add all its  contents.
 The tow car hitch  will also have a nose weight, that is the weight of the down  ward  pressure  / weight on the tow ball.Easy way to find the weights actual is to get your bathroom scales , a piece of timber  in the caravan  tow hitch,other end  on to the scales and see what weight registers.

I used to tow an Eriba Triton with a Renault Clio which only had about 65 hp, but being a turbo diesel it had plenty of torque which is what matters. Although the caravan max weight was not much less than the car, stability was excellent because of the small rear overhang which put the towball close to the rear axle. I hardly noticed passing HGVs on motorways.

You will find all the information you need here:

http://www.whattowcar.com/

Due to several valid reasons I sold my beloved Volkswagon compass calypso motorhome, I approached Todds leisure and Emm&bee caravans of Bury for a straight sale, I wasn't impressed with what they offered.

I happened across a local motor dealer for a part exchange deal and they offered me £2000 more so I came out of the deal with a very nice well looked after low mileage late model Peugeot 307 1.6 S 5 door job plus a cheque for just over 10 grand which will come in very handy.

Not wishing to give up my camping activities I am now in the market for a smallish type folding camper, dont need anything grand, just something big enough to lay my head at night and cook a basic meal, a warm air blower will suffice for heating, so what do you reckon?

Archived