Omnivent

suntrecker38

We had one of these in our caravan, just above the cooker. We had the van from new and kept it for 8 years and never once had a problem with it. I found the vent was perfectly easy to open and the switch on the fan, I always had to hold a bit of tissue up to so that I could check that it was blowing out.

If you got your motorhome from a dealer, take it back and ask them to check it out for you. Cannot believe you have had 2 that don't work properly!

Hi, I find mine (on a Compass Castaway) very stiff to open, but with mine the trick is to 'pull' the turn-knob down (i.e. as you twist it, exert a downward pressure) as I try to twist it- it works all the time for me.

Regards

Franco

We had the same problem with one of the vents on our motorhome, the other never gave any trouble.

I used to give it a prod with a long thin knife if I was in a hurry, otherwise if I left it under a bit of pressure it would eventually pop up. Be carefull if you try to pull down on the knob, ours fell off, and I never found a satisfactory way of fixing it back on,

AGD

As far as I'm aware an "Omni-Vent" has only one size, fitting a 40cm x 40cm aperture.

I've no practical experience of the Omni-vent rooflight, but just looking at photos/drawings of the product suggests to me that the opening/closing mechanism is likely to prove problematical. Online comments add weight to this view:

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/15775-omnivent-extractor-fan/

Fortunately in six years we have never had a problem with our Omnivent fan.

Being baffled by arrow switches, I made tiny labels to indicate in and out movement of air.

The only problem we have had is whistling and rattling caused by the wind being in the reverse direction when we are battened down in a gale. This is noticeable at night as we have a drop down bed and the vent is only 18" above our heads.

As the winding mechanism is only bits of plastic, we take great care not to stress the opening and closing action and make sure it is shut if the wind is in the 'wrong' direction.

Will now keep my fingers crossed.

Joyce

Archived