Isle of Wight visit, so much for that ! !

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Thought others may be interested, we were thinking of going, but thought I'd run off an email to the parking authorities there first, here's the reply.

"Thank you for your e-mail. There are three car parks on the Island that have height restriction bars of 2 metres and they are at Freshwater Bay, Little London Car Park in Newport and the overflow area at Lane End Car Park in Bembridge. The length of a normal parking bay is 4.8 metres and should you need two bays you must purchase two pay and display tickets"

Have google earthed street viewed most of the island, they have turned it into pay and display universe, even a bit of scrub land has parking meters. So for our 5.5 metre van, if you were to park for 6 hours during the day considering there are virtually no free car parks, you'd be looking at 2 x £6.50, £13. So another UK destination off our list ! ! >:-)

Hi we went last July found no problem on the south of the island (which in my opinion is the best part!) managed to park no problems at freshwater bay found parking spot just at the top of the village 5 min walk away cost Nothing! Also the car park in the Bay itself had a height barrier but it appeared to be permanently open! also if you are National Trust member you can park in their car parks foc! Good one was just by Brook Chine close to beach used that one more than once so our car parking of our PVC for the week was nothing zero zilch!

I bet they did not tell you its an offencc to Eat / Drink / Sleep in your vehicle whilst using the car parks even on the roadside pay / display parking area's we noticed some people sat on the roadside benches eating their lunch as it was not allowed in their vehicles.I too will never go back to the rip off Isle of Wight . 

With respect, it's your loss. We've been to the Isle of Wight several times (and will be going again this year) and never had problems parking our 7.2m motorhome. OK, if we need two spaces we're happy to pay for them over there, just as we are in the rest of the UK.

There are plenty of car parks with long spaces for lorries, buses and coaches and we've never had any comeback from using these when all else fails.

We really love touring the island, which has some really beautiful beaches and countryside. The roads are a tad on the bump side in places, but you soon get used to a slower pace of life which is one of the attractions of the place anyway.

So, don't write it off without having been there. You could be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well we are going to as you say have it as our loss, but not entirely as we went there years ago long before the scourge that infests the UK which are pay and display machines were invented.

The problem is so many parts of the UK seem to actively discourage M/homes, and interestingly doing the Google Earth street view we saw only one on the Island, and the mapping was, judging by the amount of cars parked done in high summer. No we'll head back over to France once again where not only are M/homes not discouraged, quite the opposite is the case, and zero exorbitant car ( 2 of ) tickets are needed. £13 for two tickets because we have a small camper van and they do not have any bays longer than a car is ridiculous. My wife has walking difficulties so some out of town coach park is less than ideal.

Perhaps we'll do the IOW again in our dotage, go on a coach, and stay some sea front guest house, no parking hassles, and no fear of a jumped up official telling me I'm breaking some stupid by-law by doing a bacon sandwich and having a cuppa in my van. ;-)

vindiboy - 2012-04-30 7:19 PM

The joys of living in England. Too many people too small an Island it can only get worse, you did not mention the rip off ferry price to the IOW either, France is a huge Country, and as you say Motorhome friendly unlike here .

To be fair I got a deal a coiuple of years ago at Christmas for 7 nights on a site and the ferry for £130.

I also got a parking ticket for parking across two bays depsite having a blue badge where parking was free. Managed to get it revoked.

It was ok but I prefer the Scottish Islands. Too busy and too much like the mainland for me.

We were in the IoW last year and loved it. We stayed at the CC Southlands Campsite and used the excellent value and regular bus service a few days and cycled along the disused rail line in to Sandown.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Cliffy - 2012-05-01 12:57 AM

We were in the IoW last year and loved it. We stayed at the CC Southlands Campsite and used the excellent value and regular bus service a few days and cycled along the disused rail line in to Sandown.

To be fair if we used our van like a caravan I'm sure we too could do the same as you, but the whole point of a van for us is to have the conveniences of our van with us at all times, and not having to rely on bus services. We had more than enough of that when we were tuggers, cycling is not an option for us, well not for my wife. I just think these councils should make better parking provision for us folks that do have vans thats all. ;-)

We visited the IOW last year but only as day visitors, we got a very cheap  foot passenger deal  and travelled from Lymington where we were on a Rally at  Bamptons Farm with the Camping Club,we used our bus passes and had free travel all round, a great day was had, I  spent two weeks in a Chalet  at Bembridge a few years ago and that was great too ,I love the IOW and can almost see it from where I live ,but have no desire to take my Camper over there , as I think that unless  one parks it up for the duration and travels around by bus it would be a lot of hassle and no holiday.

Daughter has just come back from living there for 2 years thank goodness I haven't got to go there again.

Daughter is only in her 20's and she had had enough of the drunks and drugies.

Took the car over once parking is more unfriendly than the mainland. For a place that relies on visitors for most of it's income & economy it sure knows how to drive them away.

We're totally with 1footininthegrave regarding using our van to tour around in during the day, as well as to sleep in at night. That, to our minds at any rate, is what they're designed for.

We haven't had any problems using it just like that on the several occasions we've been to the Isle of Wight. OK, so some of the roads are a tad narrow, but most motorhomes will not be the largest vehicles using them. As I said before, there's plenty of parking too.

Having said all that, we've only visited outside the peak school holiday season, which may well have helped.

When we go to the Isle of White we find the bus service so good we don't bother moving the motorhome. Mind you they do have some very big buses for their small roads. The language got very colourful when driver on a route he was new to missed a turn and had to turn the bus round. We all gave him a round of applause when he finally managed it!

As an Island resident I just had to respond to this. Elements of what everyone has said is true. The Island is a mini UK and as such is probably no worse or better for Motorhomes than any other part of the UK. Yes if you look at council car parks on the face of it it is dire, but at least they took the trouble to reply, many dont. I have a 7 meter Coach Built Which is used as a day van most weekends. I rarely use council car parks and when I do I use one bay by reversing the overhang over grass.It fits Just. A number of Council car parks are free out of season and some have unmarked grass areas where size doesnt matter. Most of my parking takes place in the many free areas that can be found which also includes Supermarkets, National Trust and Laybys. There are many non Council parking areas and I never begrudge paying the National Trust who are not length interested. The Island is a beautiful place with something to interest most people whether history, towns, countryside, beaches, walking or cycling on the many cycle tracks. The Ferries can be really expensive. But good deals exist. The Caravan Club offers excellent prices if you stay at thier beautiful Newchurch site. Red Funnel offer 5 day breaks to include camping at some best island sites. Check it out, most campsites offer ferry inclusive deals. A word of warning though, dont come in July or August its impossible in a motorhome. Get an off season deal and try it out. Many of the negatives can be overcome by exploratrion and a positive attitude. Stuart

Isle of Wight, we love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have been going there every year (Past 6years) in June for the Isle of Wight Festival.

We then stay on for about a week to chill and relax.

The island has a pretty good bus service and we buy weekly passes for about £20 each so

we don't have to bother driving.

This year we're staying at the festival site and then off to Waverly Park in Cowes, which overlooks the solent and is a stones throw from the ferry.

Best ferry deals are by booking via campsites.

45 days to go, can't wait.

Andy & Clare

Best ferry deals are by booking via campsites.

45 days to go, can't wait.

Andy & Clare

Definately. We stayed at the Waverley at Christmas a few years ago and booked through the campsite and we got 7 nights on a serviced pitch including the ferry for about £130. I think the standard deal through Red Funnel is 5 nights.

We love the IOW and have used the Red Funnel deals a few times - however................Waverley Park, despite great location is a bit of a dump! The facilities were not upto much and when I asked if the cold showers could be made a little warmer, the owner told me it was an EU directive!!

Later in the week there was an 'unfathomed incident' at the shower block where the police were in attendance for a couple of days so must have been serious - drug related stabbing by all accounts.

Still, meant i could have a hot shower in the van, lol.

If we go back , it will to be one of their other sites, not Waverley.

What a difference you'd habe found if you had crossed just a little more water and pitched up in France instead - where motorhomes really are welcomed everywhere.

The difference in attitudes of local councils between France and the UK really is enormous.

vindiboy - 2012-04-30 8:19 PMToo many people too small an Island it can only get worse,

It's only when you spend about eight or so months a year in a normaly populated part of Europe that you realise just how true that statement is. The UK (and England in particular) is so over populated now that it should be a top governmental priority to do something but of course nothing will be done for 50 or 100 years and thank God I won't be around to see that.

bolero boy - 2012-05-08 1:58 PM

We love the IOW and have used the Red Funnel deals a few times - however................Waverley Park, despite great location is a bit of a dump! The facilities were not upto much and when I asked if the cold showers could be made a little warmer, the owner told me it was an EU directive!!

Later in the week there was an 'unfathomed incident' at the shower block where the police were in attendance for a couple of days so must have been serious - drug related stabbing by all accounts.

Still, meant i could have a hot shower in the van, lol.

If we go back , it will to be one of their other sites, not Waverley.

Sorry, but I don't agree that Waverly is a dump and what was the actual shower block incident ?

This will be our 5th visit to the site.

Staff are nice and friendly.

Pitches are good size and level and it's always been clean and tidy when we've been there.

Site has a pool, bar and laundry etc and again great location.

Andy & Clare

Guest Peter James
camperadi - 2012-05-07 7:51 PM

I never begrudge paying the National Trust

Well I do. National Trust land belongs to us to start with, being a charity there is no tax, so the fees are not to pay for the land. The fees are to pay £220,000 +++ salaries to the useless National Trust Directors.

More importantly, its the political activities of organisations like the National Trust that have prevented over 90% of Britains land area being built on, leading to much of the overcrowding and economic problems we face today.

Losos - 2012-05-08 5:41 PM
vindiboy - 2012-04-30 8:19 PMToo many people too small an Island it can only get worse,

It's only when you spend about eight or so months a year in a normaly populated part of Europe that you realise just how true that statement is. The UK (and England in particular) is so over populated now that it should be a top governmental priority to do something but of course nothing will be done for 50 or 100 years and thank God I won't be around to see that.

Agreed that overpopulation is (globally) a massive problem so we long since chose not to have kids. No government required, no having to wait for an arbitrary 50 to 100 years.

Been to the IOW, thought it a bit dull.

Archived