Trusted garages and recommendations data base

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
After once again been on the receiving end of appalling service from a garage ( one that I thought trustworthy, but now come to realise they regarded me as a cash cow mug ) It occurs to me what is required is a list of garages nationwide that are able to service / repair our vehicles that have customer feedback, does anyone know of such a list or site. ;-)

Some of the trusted garage schemes may not be trustworthy. If in doubt, use Fiat Professional or the Approved Workshop Scheme. I've always used C&M Autos in Lancaster who are members of some sort of garage scheme.

The Approved Workshop Scheme was formed by the Caravan Club, National Caravan Council and Camping and Caravanning Club in 1998, so that caravan and motorhome owners could find reliable local workshops with competent staff.

Using an Approved Workshop gives confidence that the technician working on your vehicle is qualified to the required standards. To be part of the Scheme, workshops must pass an independent annual inspection and comply with the Scheme's rigorous standards.

The scheme currently has over 260 fixed base and mobile member workshops around the UK - to find one near you, visit the Approved Workshop Scheme website.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Wow, excellent just what I was looking for, thanks. I used to do all my own work, but sadly these last few years age has crept up on me so need to entrust the van to others who for the most part in this neck of the woods leave a lot to be desired.

EDIT Oh dear just noticed one on the list that gave me and many more I've spoken to appalling service when I bought a van from them, maybe Fiat workshop is the way to go , pity the nearest to me is 70 miles away ;-)

For a list of approved workshops you can contact The National Caravan Council, Catherine House, Victoria Road, Aldershot. GU11 1BR Phone Number 01252 318251 All the service centres are independently assessed Auto-Trail have an approved aftercare centre next to their manufacturing base in Grimsby and it is very well run. I've used it and was very impressed with the service.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks for that, sadly I'm almost in the Irish Sea, in darkest west Wales, so Grimsby would be a bit of a hike, mind you we could always get some fresh fish ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes, thanks for that I've made a note and will call them first thing Tuesday, ;-)

From memory - MMM produce a supplement (annually ?) which lists Garages for mechanical servicing that are "recommended" by readers,

Sod's law - I can't find it at the moment, maybe it's in the Van, as it can be useful if I have problems away from home.

flicka - 2012-05-05 10:22 PM

From memory - MMM produce a supplement (annually ?) which lists Garages for mechanical servicing that are "recommended" by readers,

Sod's law - I can't find it at the moment, maybe it's in the Van, as it can be useful if I have problems away from home.

Found Lancing Commercials in there, less than 2 miles from home superb family firm ½ the price of the Fiat dealer which is over 30 miles away.

Not much use to Mike though.

I repeat below an item I posted a few months ago.:-

Hi, for the last 29 years I have had my vehicles serviced and repaired by a company called FMS in Stafford.

This is a family business headed by Richard and I can honestly say that in all the time I have been using them I have been more than satisfied with the treatment I have received.

Richard and his team give good old fashioned service, nothing is too much trouble, YOU WILL NOT GET RIPPED OFF but you will be told it as it is, and your vehicle will be returned properly repaired.

This is no back street operation and they charge the going rate for the job, but they are very flexible and on occasions when I have needed expensive parts replaced, they have, with my agreement, sourced guaranteed used units thus saving me a packet.

NOW! The Company have just updated their workshops and installed two new hoists one of which can lift 6 tonnes. There is plenty of headroom for motor homes and MOT’s and servicing of all models can be accommodated.

A timed booking system is operated for MOT’S and you can wait whilst your test is carried out if you want.

Richard himself has a motor home so you will get an interested ear for your problems

A courtesy car is available, for servicing and repairs for you to visit local places of interest ,Shugborough Hall is only 5 miles away as are the open spaces of Cannock Chase. You must mention you require this at the time you book your vehicle in

Leave your mobile number at reception and they will ring you when your vehicle is ready to collect

FMS, Snows Yard ,Foregate Street ,Stafford. Tel 01785223700.

They have just converted my Mk3 Transit to Power Assisted Steering. No conversion kit is available so I supplied them with a list of secondhand parts in a box that I sourced from various sellers on e-bay and they did the conversion.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Many thanks for that, noted, and getting closer to Gwynedd, any more recommendations out there please. ;-)

Some years ago, I read an article that listed a number of recommended garages for servicing motorhomes. In the list was BT (yes, the telephone company). Apparently BT Fleet has diversified from just maintaining its own vehicles to many other companies’ vehicles from cars to light vans and HGVs, they also service and repair private vehicles. All work is covered by a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty and they have a network of over 500 garages.

For the past 5 years I have had my car and motorhome serviced and MOT’d by BT. The service cost less than halve of the dealer network garage and did not invalidate the warranty as they are VAT registered.

They are now offering fixed price serving and MOTs. See table below. At last, a nationwide firm who display their prices and can handle any size of motorhome.

http://www.btfleet.com/service/fixed-price-servicing.aspx

http://www.btfleet.com/garages/garages-network-general.aspx

I cannot recommended them highly enough and, no, I do not work for BT

fixed-pricing-table.jpg.4b431a9335b21f37a1ed0a3f4b149310.jpg

Another thing to be VERY careful of, is what actually do they actually mean by a "service".....either "interim" or "main"?

I strongly suggest you specify exactly what that must include beforehand......

Have a printout of ALL the items that YOUR handbook says should be attended to, and get the garage to sign their agreement that all those items will be done beforehand; then get their signature against each item on the checklist to confirm it actually was done.

(Then check some of the items yourself to see it they were actually done.)

I'm a very handy DIY mechanic, and I despair at the number of times that I have seen incompetent, piss-poor, or straight lies about what we done, " servicing" by garages; both independent and main dealer.

BGD - 2012-05-06 11:24 PM

Another thing to be VERY careful of, is what actually do they actually mean by a "service".....either "interim" or "main"?

I strongly suggest you specify exactly what that must include beforehand......

Have a printout of ALL the items that YOUR handbook says should be attended to, and get the garage to sign their agreement that all those items will be done beforehand; then get their signature against each item on the checklist to confirm it actually was done.

(Then check some of the items yourself to see it they were actually done.)

I'm a very handy DIY mechanic, and I despair at the number of times that I have seen incompetent, piss-poor, or straight lies about what we done, " servicing" by garages; both independent and main dealer.

BT Fleet provide a 'tick' list of all items covered by the interim and full service, see

http://www.btfleet.com/downloads/BT_Fleet_Service_Schedule.pdf

Anyone in the Plymouth area could try David May of Ivybridge. I have always had good service from them for all my vehicles. They found a problem with my motorhome which the main dealers could not and also the wifes car developed a strange banging from the front end. Again the main dealer found nothing but David May found it to be a broken spring, only noticable when stripped down. Family run business too.

Just had my wheel alignment, (tracking), checked as per warranty after 900 miles. Called in to TyreMarks at Tavistock at 5:15 this afternoon and they did it for me. It meant that they had to stay late but were willing to do that to accomodate me even though I hadn't booked. Not bad service aye?

Archived