Water Top up point required Dover -Dunkirk - Namur

geoff

Must say I too mused at what the reason for not filling the onboard tank from home would be.

We always travel full, in fact we top up before leaving any site, or Aire when it is free, this has no apparent affect on our MPG, but then again we would never know as we always run full (two full Gaslows, full water, never less than half fuel) as I said. As our MPG and MPH seem to be in the region of most and better than many I see no reason to change our habit, it must make a miniscule difference anyway, bit like running your car with a half empty fuel tank and filling up at night when it is cooler, tiny differences that I cannot be bothered with convenience outweighs all IMO.

Bas

HI,

Just a couple of points

Bray dunes aire is great but nothing there but parking.

Travelling with full water tank has been proved on other forums to make little if any difference when you are looking at the overall weight of the van anyway. In fact after we started doing it 5 years ago our MPG improved (lol)

Just think of the cheap fuel you will get when you get there it will more than make up for any difference made over here and alot less stress.

Mandy

Guest 1footinthegrave
Just another thought, Canterbury park and ride on New Dover Road I'm sure has a water tap and m/home stop over point for the night at £2.50, but from memory you would have to access it before I think 7pm as after that I belive the gates are locked although you may be able to leave after that if your already in, can't remember, perhaps someone else will know the answer to that one. ;-)

A Yorkshireman with a sense of humour - he cannot be serious - such things only exist in myths and legends!!

Of course we've got a sense of humour, plus rolling hills, motorways, and low prices, in fact we laugh our socks off when we see southerners paying more for a garage than we pay for a house ! Anyway, whats wrong with clockwork gadgets - a chap called Roberts is making a fortune producing wind up radios.

On a more serious note, apart from prices, stellplatz and aires dont seem to have altered much since I got my my aires book five years ago and I only use a sat nav as an addition to, and not an alternative to, a Michelin regional map. Also I find personal recommendations from fellow travellers to be more helpful and up to date than any book entry.

Whilst taking on board the fill up first advice, I would point out that the information I seek re locations will also prove helpful should I decide to stay in that area or require a fill on the return trip. Its like knowing the locations of 24hour filling stations- you never know when you may need one.

As for messing around at night, a head mounted torch is a godsend, also, theres no queues

at the taps, the roads are quiet and watching the sun rising is a bonus !

I didn't realise my request for an accessible tap would generate so much response but thanks for your replies,especially for that link to Full Timing aires list (which I printed out).

Finally, the best reason not to fill up at home - we're on a water meter !!!!!

Guest Tracker
Are you sure you're from Yorkshire or is there some Scottish 'thrift' in you somewhere Geoff!

Guest Tracker
Brambles - 2012-05-08 10:08 AM

The Scottish would travel with a full tank having worked out it would cost more in fuel to search for water at the other end.

We rest our case!!

Has nobody figured it out yet ?

The reason for posting is so that I DONT have to waste time or juice searching for a site, neither do I have to buy a new aires handbook, or invest in a modern sat nav.

You kind people are doing all the work for me - FREE ! and you're the ones who are spending the brass (lol)

Thanks to you all and I'll drink to your health using the money that I've saved. CHEERS !

Guest JudgeMental
Brambles - 2012-05-08 3:11 PM

Oh I see, expect you are on a water meter at home as well. ;-)

Fear not good geoff, you will never compete with Tracker for the Number 1 Annual Thriftness Trophy.

Sorry but Geoff has knocker Tracker out of the ball park!...I think Geoff is in all certainty a nutter and certifiable.......

Brambles - 2012-05-08 3:11 PM

Oh I see, expect you are on a water meter at home as well. ;-)

Fear not good geoff, you will never compete with Tracker for the Number 1 Annual Thriftness Trophy.

No; he's on next doors water meter at home.

Guest Tracker

Hey Geoff - you'll like this - we have an outside tap in our garden that is not on our meter - I don't know whose meter it is on and I ain't gonna ask - but whoever it is - thank you very much!!

PS In most cases a water meter is less cost than the old rateable value charges but don't tell everyone or they will all be on a meter and we will all end up paying more!!

geoff - 2012-05-07 4:47 PMDont suppose " one footer" has the sat nav coords for Gravelines as I couldnt find it last time I looked - its my own fault, I shouldn't travel at night but, at least I miss the Dartford queue's AND........ I save a tenner on the ferry fares !!!!!

The Graveline post code is 59820 and the address is Rue du Port but don't bother arriving late at night as you'll not get in now, the council have put some big boulders at the end and restricted the spaces. I just got in at 15:30 but by sun down there were no spaces left. Further more there is no water point that I know of although you can get water from the mechanics workshop at the entrance but obviously not at night.

There is another 'aire' at Grande Fort Phillippe on the other side of the harbour and allegedly a 'service' point somewhere else in Gravelines which I've never had to use. It would probably have water but as I say I've never used it so can't confirm.

Guest JudgeMental
someone on site in Spain has a sister camping in the Dordogne...4 feet of water on site :-|

JudgeMental - 2012-05-09 5:18 PM

someone on site in Spain has a sister camping in the Dordogne...4 feet of water on site :-|

It'd better clear up there by the end of May - we're chugging up there for 4 weeks from 2nd week in June ( or maybe not, if it's still like it is now!)

You liking the way the weather has changed here on the Costa Blanca this week Eddie?

Summer's finally arrived here!

Archived