Calais to Ardeche

mikebeaches

We are hoping to travel to Barjac in the Ardeche region in a couple of weeks time.

Looking for recommended routes, together with any handy hints and tips.

Seeking reasonably fast roads, though prefer not to pay for the autoroute all the way there. Don't mind short sections of toll motorway, in order to avoid busy urban areas or bottlenecks etc.

Have looked at various options on Google maps, but would welcome any first-hand advice.

Thanks, Mike

I would avoid Paris and go through Rouen - Evreux- Dreux to get to the Orleans area.

There is a campsite just south of Blois @ Cheveney we use called Les Saules Useful stopover and nice area to visit for a couple of days. Takes about 6 to 7 hours from Calais given a good run. Good place for biking from.

Depending on the time you want to take, you could either Toll road from Orleans to the Ardeche, or take the Toll free route heading towards Cahors then cut across country to wards the toll free on the other main route.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-05-09 5:42 PM

I would avoid Paris and go through Rouen - Evreux- Dreux to get to the Orleans area.

There is a campsite just south of Blois @ Cheveney we use called Les Saules Useful stopover and nice area to visit for a couple of days. Takes about 6 to 7 hours from Calais given a good run. Good place for biking from.

Depending on the time you want to take, you could either Toll road from Orleans to the Ardeche, or take the Toll free route heading towards Cahors then cut across country to wards the toll free on the other main route.

Rgds

Many thanks Tony! I'd been wondering about taking the route you recommend to Orleans - we did it last year on the way to the Dordogne, and it worked well for us then. I'd also been thinking it would be best to steer clear of Paris. Had wondered whether to go to the north and east of the capital, but a couple of other folk have suggested heading for Orleans via Rouen, Evreux and Dreux - so I reckon that's what we'll do.

I just need to decide the best way from there down to the Ardeche. As you say, we could major on the payage, but on balance will most likely head across country using the best N roads we can find and a few odd free sections of motorway.

We're away for 3 weeks in total, and don't want to spend all the time on the road - but we should be able to do it comfortably. Oh and thanks for the campsite tip too!

Cheers, Mike

If you go that route to the Ardeche..there is a great Aire at Mery sur Cher...to the South of Orleans near Vierzon....we used it on our trip down to Spain a couple of years ago....5/6 van Aire usual facilities..

There is an Aire at Mery sur Cher it's in All the Aires book..around 4/5 miles from the A20 just North of Vierzon along the N 76 Eastwards..The barrier was credit card operated and cost 5.60 Euros (Jan/April 09)when we used it down and back..Facilities are/were Fresh Water..EHU (with the EHUs there are 7 spaces but only 5 EHUs for some reason) Waste/Black water dump and a proper WC on site The site is well lit some slight road noise but nothing to worry about..The site is on the left hand side of the road just as you enter the village..and around 100 metres down the road on the left a belting bakers for the fresh baguettes next morning

Hope this helps

Many thanks for the details about the aire at Méry-sur-Cher - very useful information. I think on this trip we will probably start heading east, then south from Orleans.

But I've made a note because we are hoping to go to the Dordogne in September, and it will be ideal for that trip, as we'll be going down the A20.

Apreciate your advice.

Mike

I loved L'Ardeche last summer. Dont know if your into canoeing but one of the best laughs we had all summer last year was kayaking for four hours down the Ardeche in the Vallon Pont d'arc area just a few miles north of Barjac. If there is plenty of water its quite a thrill as there are some good rapids (well we though they were).

I think it was only about £30 and you get dropped off and picked up.

Sorry cant help with routes. I just tell the sat nav to take me there and avoid the tolls. If I can be bothered I check the map which is always a good idea as you can guarntee that if you dont the sat nav will take you down some goat track.

Cheers Barry! Haven't been to the Ardeche area before, so looking forward to it. Have heard lots of good reports. Might be a bit long in the tooth for the canoeing, but you never know. Have got some photos of my son as a youngster doing it on the Ardeche during a school trip - think he was only about 12 or 13, but said it was absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the tip.

And yes, we'll use the sat-nav too, but as we're only away for 3 weeks, need to be reasonably well planned in order to visit all the places we want to in the area. So I like to have a reasonable idea of the route in advance.

Mike

mikebeaches - 2012-05-12 11:47 PM

Cheers Barry! Haven't been to the Ardeche area before, so looking forward to it. Have heard lots of good reports. Might be a bit long in the tooth for the canoeing, but you never know. Have got some photos of my son as a youngster doing it on the Ardeche during a school trip - think he was only about 12 or 13, but said it was absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the tip.

And yes, we'll use the sat-nav too, but as we're only away for 3 weeks, need to be reasonably well planned in order to visit all the places we want to in the area. So I like to have a reasonable idea of the route in advance.

Mike

You’re never too long in the tooth for Kayaking!!! It’s not exactly white water rafting. When we did it was the height of the season and despite an early start we were soon surrounded by hundreds of French tourists on holiday having the times of their lives. It sounds dreadful but I loved our time at Vallon Pont D'Arc. It was blisteringly hot and the resort (which is what it is) was packed but what an atmosphere. The actual natural Arc over the river is I think the biggest natural Arc in Europe and well worth seeing. It’s the gateway to the Ardeche Gorges which are pretty stunning as well.

There are two Aires at Vallon Pont D'Arc. One is a short walk into the town centre but has no hookup and is about 8 euros and the other which is much nicer with hookup is about 10 euros outside a campsite but a mile or so stroll into town (we chose the latter as we have a bike). You will find them here

44.41583 4.37738

44.4052 4.39702

I’ll try and post some pics

980575942_P1040990(Small).JPG.0854a094704bdbadb6615a01b8ca2588.JPG

621827032_P1040995(Small).JPG.02e286357705c21a85a95671db63d8ca.JPG

82484772_P1050007(Small).JPG.4ebe5b563a0e3f7509add8e161eaf44f.JPG

Archived