Favourite motorhome destination

Daniel the editor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Arthur Brown - 2013-10-22 11:11 PM

Northumberland - end of the world!!

Preferably somewhere I've never been to before - hopefully where the warm but not too hot sun shines almost every day and the mountains reflect in the clear blue water that sparkles in the sunlight!

kelly58 - 2013-10-24 2:58 AM

Arthur Brown - 2013-10-22 11:11 PMNorthumberland. end of
Northumberland end of the world as we know it , or could it be the end of the rainbow ??

Maybe - but you need the rain to stop and the sun to shine to be able to see the rainbow!!

Whether or not there is a crock of summat at the end of the rainbow, and what that summat might be, is of course pure conjecture!!

• 4 weeks later...

Northumberland - end of the world!!

If you've never been to Northumberland you haven't lived! It's truly is England's secret place, so much to offer and full of wonderful experiences. Few people outside the towns, hardly any traffic on the roads compared to most places and plenty of wonderfully interesting places to visit and very friendly people.

The North East Coast has long sandy beaches and views to rival anywhere in Europe, apart from the chilly North Sea you could imagine you are in the Med. But then it has magnificent castles that are as good as you'll find anywhere in the world. Lindisfarne is magical, Bamborough, Alnwick and Warkworth inspiring, to name just a few.

If you love wild open spaces and huge starry night skys, red squirrels and other wildlife then look around Kielder Forest straddling the Scottish border. Or the wild moors around Rothbury, Alnwick or the softer hills in the 'shire' south of Hexham. Trek across towards Co Durham or west towards Allendale & Alston in the Pennines, for somewhere with a slower pace of life. There is lots of history to explore everywhere in these parts, with plenty of places featuring Romans, Border Rievers, lead & coal mining heritage, the birth place of steam railways etc. If you want to have some walks that include something unique then try seeking out some Megalithic Rock Art around Rothbury. http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=13305. While you are there don't miss NT Cragside House for a fascinating visit to the first hydroelectric powered house, with interesting interiors, lovely tea rooms fabulous gardens with lakes and full of Azaleas and Rhododendrons.

Returning to Romans there is also, of course, mile after mile of the Hadrians Wall Trail (a World Heritage Site but so big that you'll find plenty space to enjoy without seeing another person!) It runs from the Solway coast west of Carlisle, across to Wallsend, it's about 75 miles of fabulous walking with incredible, memorable views. Don't miss the central section from near Brampton to Wall.

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/

Back in AD122 Hadrians Wall formed the northerly edge of the Roman Empire, as it snaked across the ridges and hills at the narrowest part of England. With wild moors, blanket bogs and forest areas to the north and contrasting softer hills and valleys to the south. It is a dramatic and amazing monument to Roman life with the some of the best Roman sites outside Italy. Try Chesters, Birdoswald, Vindolanda, the visitor Centre at Twice Brewed, The Tullie House Museum in Carlisle. All are well worth a trip but don't miss a walk around Housesteads Roman Fort. If you can only walk one section of the wall then go from Once Brewed car park up to Steel Rigg and then walk eastwards to Housesteads. In the summer months get the little bus (called the AD122) back or walk back along the Vallum south of the wall to see it from a different perspective The views over the Crag Lough from the highest parts of this walk, and the iconic Sycamore Tree Gap will remain with you for life and draw you back for more. Ok you do need reasonable weather to get the best from the more exposed parts of this trip, but even in poorer weather try to imagine being a Roman soldier on the wall two thousand years ago and it'll make you feel a bit warmer at night!

If you want to aim for a good starting point Hexham is a good centre for the central sections of the wall. It's a lovely market town that I once called home. The Abbey is stunning with its Night Stairs, magnificent organ loft and Saxon Crypt. But do stay a while to look around the interesting streets with cafes, tea rooms and other gems like the the Moot Hall, Old Town Jail and the Queens Hall Theatre.

Other towns to stay in the region and enjoy are Rothbury or Alnwick to the east and Haltwhistle or Bampton to the west, all are good stopping off points when visiting the area.

Finally if you are driving along the A69 stop a while and take a walk along the bubbling river at Allen Banks (A NT site east of Haydon Bridge) and look out for the Dippers fishing underwater in the river and linger in the soaring beechwoods. If you're quiet and lucky you'll see red squirrels too. What a place, I hope you go and that you'll grow to love it as much as I do!

Guest pelmetman
horse444 - 2013-11-26 3:44 PM

where did u cross for morocco

Algeciras tends to be the way most people get to Morocco nowdays ;-)..............don't know if the ferry still runs from Gib?.........now the borders open...........

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-11-26 7:09 PM

It is better to journey in hope than to arrive at a pre booked campsite in despair!

Unless you've been there before ;-).......

paulmold - 2013-11-29 9:34 AM

I agree with Northumberland - but did you have to make it sound so good, everyone will now want to go and it won't be so quiet now. Some things are worth keeping to yourself.

Well yes, but this site is about sharing our experiences with intelligent people with similar interests that will be good neighbours, hopefully! And, after all, there is so much space and so few people up there that a few more won't really make much difference. If you go to some places in the west of England it is (almost) equally beautiful in places, but getting around it a nightmare at busy times. Northumberland and the Borders is a total contrast to that, with wide open spaces, big skys and amazing scenery. I know which I prefer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Fave place for weather is Agadir or lower in Morrocco. No breakdown assistance though so make sure you have enough French to order a depannage. Some campsites really good but others - crap with very dodgy electrics. Sat navy does'nt work either. Very few Brits make this trip- why? Lupus.

• 4 years later...
next trip is always best. followed by memories of small towns and villages in south morocco. (off subject) breakdown is available (ADAC) and sat nav does work, many different ones by phoned . i use sygic, £25 for world maps for life, updates regularly and quickly, dont need much memory as you put in/take out countries as you need them (although my phone comfortably held france, spain and portugal) and easy to transfer between phones. beats my old garrmin (which i loved!).

• 4 months later...
Guest pelmetman
Grumblewagon - 2018-07-08 4:53 PM

Went to Northumberland for the first time this year. Very enjoyable - except for the roads. Some were no more than a series of potholes joined by patches of tarmac.

Favourite places so far - The Rhine, Mosel and Saar valleys.

Eh? 8-) .......

Hasn't the EU been pumping our money back in there to improve things? :D ........

Maybe our Bazza's had all the cash? ;-) ..........

Archived