"Proper camping"

AlphonsoDeLard

We have electric hook-up, table-top fridge, electric lights, carpet, comfy chairs, heater, a trailer tent full of goodies... We only camp for our main holidays, I don't see why I can't be comfortable on holiday? Why slum it? (IMO)

Is this "proper" camping, or is basic camping the only "proper" camping?

I ask only because somebody told me last week that our holidays weren't camping holidays, to which I replied, if it's under canvas, it's camping. Anyone else have a view on this?

AlphonsoDeLard - 2012-05-09 4:11 PM

We have electric hook-up, table-top fridge, electric lights, carpet, comfy chairs, heater, a trailer tent full of goodies... We only camp for our main holidays, I don't see why I can't be comfortable on holiday? Why slum it? (IMO)

I ask only because somebody told me last week that our holidays weren't camping holidays, to which I replied, if it's under canvas, it's camping. Anyone else have a view on this?

My view is that the only ' proper ' camping is in a tent, sleeping ' on the ground '

Once you start getting off the ground, and sleeping in comfortable ' home - type ' beds - you are still camping, but only just.

... and once you get a caravan, or motorhome, you have given up camping.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-05-09 4:23 PM

;-)

Yeah ;-)..........................you become gypo's (lol) (lol)

malc d - 2012-05-09 4:23 PM

AlphonsoDeLard - 2012-05-09 4:11 PM

My view is that the only ' proper ' camping is in a tent, sleeping ' on the ground '

Once you start getting off the ground, and sleeping in comfortable ' home - type ' beds - you are still camping, but only just.

;-)

Guessing my trailer tent is a step too far to be classed as proper camping then?

AlphonsoDeLard - 2012-05-09 4:35 PM

Guessing my trailer tent is a step too far to be classed as proper camping then?

........... I'm afraid so !

But that's only my opinion - as a former camper who regrets that he never got around

to the real thing ( i.e. backpacking ).

But if you enjoy doing what you do - who cares what it's called !

;-)

malc d - 2012-05-09 4:47 PM

AlphonsoDeLard - 2012-05-09 4:35 PM

........... I'm afraid so !

But that's only my opinion - as a former camper who regrets that he never got around

to the real thing ( i.e. backpacking ).

But if you enjoy doing what you do - who cares what it's called !

;-)

Nah... I'm happy with that.. We've got a pop-up for quick stopovers and weekend breaks... That's proper.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that camping - like every pastime that has stood the test of time - is evolving and changing constantly. If camping was limited to just simple ridge tents, roll matts and open fires it would probably have died out as a hobby a long time ago, it's the continual change that keeps it fresh and draws new people to it and it is therefore essential that it keeps on changing.

To me, camping is all about freedom, setting up your own little home from home out in the open and just doing exactly what you want to do when you want to do it. Whether you do your camping in a tent,, trailer, caravan or any other contraption you care to imagine it's all camping to me.

Camping is a state of mind, not a set of equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

whatever works for you :-D

diversity is good and peoples need change. For us it must be under Canvas (so no plastic tents) and self sufficient - so no EHU etc

we dont "slum it" but like simplicty (in packing, set up and pack away) and it helps us appreciate stuff we have at home all the more

if you are in a metal box then thats something other than camping, not sure what though

• 1 month later...
LittleSkink - 2012-07-09 2:38 PM

if you are in a metal box then thats something other than camping, not sure what though

Hi Little Skink

... being in a metal box is " convenience ".

I had 40 odd years under CANVAS ( no plastic ) and thoroughly enjoyed it, and was reluctant to stop.

But the time came when we had more time, to go further, but were not as fit as we used to be.

So, we are now in a metal box.

Much more convenient for one night stops, no more packing / drying out wet tents, and we have made trips as far as the North Cape in Norway ( where you don't see any tents ) and stayed warm, dry and well fed without too much of a problem.

I always advise campers to stay camping as long as you can because some of the ' magic ' definitely goes once you have your own mobile house with all mod cons.

It certainly ain't camping !

Happy travels.

Archived