Is it really easy to sell Motorhomes?

Mike B.

In these austere times I would have thought anyone enquiring about a motorhome would be followed up if not immediately then very quickly especially after a 'disasterous' wash out of a show-not so!

I enquired about an A class, brand new model from well known national dealer-Marquis (allegedly the largest in the UK) and asked to be contacted with a view to advising me on a trade in value of my LP van.

I estimate the new van to be in the £75K+ range so not to be sniffed at in my opinion. The enquiry was made on the Monday following the Peterborough show.

What have I heard? Absolutely nothing!

Have I been contacted? No!

Has any acknowledgement been made? No!

As a (now retired) Sales manager, I find this absolutely unbelievable. No-one following up a request for information and trade-in value -talk about buying signals!! If one of my sales team had let this happen when I was working, he would have been looking at his P45.

The only conclusion I can come to is that it is really easy to sell motorhomes at present, the dealers are inundated with orders and I will have to wait until it is convenient for them to come and take my money. Silly me thought there was a recession on-clearly not!

Anyone else experienced this sort of treatment from dealers? (so I know who else to avoid!)

Mike

Hi

We changed our MH this year and had the opposit experience. I showed some interest, had follow phone calls to ascertain interest. Replies to my question were prompt and return phone calls with info where appropriate. Deal done.

This was from SMC Newark. Now I don't know if those high standards will continue if problems occur but I have been impressed thus far plus we had the best handover we have ever had when we collected the van.

Good luck cos, to my mind, buying a new MH can be a minefield.

Peter

In fairness to them, there are lots of tyre-kickers at such events. I overheard many a partial conversation at that very show and if I were a salesman would have been happy to see the back of most of the people who pulled and ragged at my stock's handles and fixtures and plainly didn't have the first clue what they were looking at.

Not suggesting the OP fell into that camp at all.

Mike B. - 2012-05-11 12:03 AMAs a (now retired) Sales manager, I find this absolutely unbelievable. No-one following up a request for information and trade-in value -talk about buying signals!! If one of my sales team had let this happen when I was working, he would have been looking at his P45.The only conclusion I can come to is that it is really easy to sell motorhomes at present, the dealers are inundated with orders and I will have to wait until it is convenient for them to come and take my money. Silly me thought there was a recession on-clearly not!Anyone else experienced this sort of treatment from dealers? (so I know who else to avoid!)Mike

Mike, in my experience there are virtually NO firms in UK in the motorhome business who have ANY proffessional trainning or experience, they are ALL pretty much useless, Elite Motorhomes are another one, I hired a van from them, it was brand new but the heater didn't work, when I went back there was just one 'could care less' mechanic around (Everyone else was on a jolly to a MH Show) this guy clearly resented having to do any work while the boss was away and even broke of half way through looking into the problem to phone his bank on his mobile about a credit card problem he was having (No surprise there then!) It was awful, he couldn't (or didn't want to) fix the problem so I had to go away with out the heater working, just as well it was mid summer!!!

And the list of 'couldn't give a dam' MH dealers is endless - I travel through Germany quite a lot and where ever possible I go to a dealer there where they not only speak perfect English but they actually WANT your business.

Hi All

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it properly. Because of the weather etc at Peterborough I actually sent an email to them on the Monday with the request. The model I am interested in was not on show presumably because they prefer to sell British ones, I don't know.

Dave, As for the salesman losing the details-that's a sacrilege in sales-surely you can't 'lose' an email? you can however lose a sale. I was always taught it was a lot easier to lose a customer than win one!

Mike

Hi Mike,I shouldnt worry,at NEC 09 i placed an order with Marquis for new motorhome,when i got home,did my sums i,realised i had been lied to by Marquis sales person to the tune of £4,500.00.

i spent all next day making calls,at the end i had to cancell the order,stop payment,and start again.

I have never tried to deal with such a difficult lot of people in my whole life ,especially the top sales

manager.think yourself lucky in this instance.i too am a retired sales manager for a national company.

I've had the brush off from Travelworld on three occasions now. The first two was when I enquired about a new Arto [i'd had before, and currently have a Hymer and enough money to pay cash] in 2010 & 2011. My wife described them as snooty. At Peterborough this year, we showed interest in a Hymer. After a short conversation I let slip I had an 05 plate Hymer. The salesman suddenly said they couldn't get one until 2013 and walked off. Perhaps I didn't look like their typical buyer so was seen as a tyre kicker. I might just have been unlucky. I doubt my experience is a reflection of their approach to other customers.

Had a great experience of Murvi last year.

I someone made an effort to sell me a van rather than me having to beg to buy one, we'd have changed ours by now. As it is, the cash sits gathering a little bit of interest and we use the van we have.

We've recently bought a used A-Class Hymer from Marquis and had no problems with them, but I didn't think they dealt in new A-Class motorhomes. They only seem to sell new British made vans and certainly when we were looking on their website when looking for our MH, they only had 4 used A-Class MHs for sale, as is the case now.

Ina.

Ina - 2012-05-11 4:13 PM

We've recently bought a used A-Class Hymer from Marquis and had no problems with them, but I didn't think they dealt in new A-Class motorhomes. They only seem to sell new British made vans and certainly when we were looking on their website when looking for our MH, they only had 4 used A-Class MHs for sale, as is the case now.

Ina.

Maybe that's the problem. The van I want is an Elnagh Magnum 70. I have an Elnagh Slim 6 at present which I bought new in 2005 and have been very happy with. Marquis are listed on the Elnagh website as the only dealers in the UK. I believe they used to be owned by Sea who make Elnagh vans. Maybe they want to sell British vans as I put in earlier post and maybe it is considered too much trouble to follow up a Sea enquiry now. I don't know the reason-just disappointed. If they don't want to or are unable to supply Italian vans, perhaps they should be removed from the dealer list-mind you if they did that there would be nobody to ask! :'( There used to be a number of dealers but I think when Sea bought Autosleepers they used them as national dealers and left the likes of Fullers, Amotts & 1 in Abergele)

I am going to Europe in June for a couple of months so will have a look for dealers over there-don't want to particularly buy abroad but if I can't get what I want here what choice have I?

Mike

Mike B. - 2012-05-11 4:20 PMDave, As for the salesman losing the details-that's a sacrilege in sales-surely you can't 'lose' an email?

Oh yes you can Mike, this is the problem with e-mails, if the person it is addressed to decides he / she is 'too busy' they just delete it and then lie through their teeth that it never arrived.

Unlike with 'snail mail' there is no paper trail and it gets very messy having to get IT in and go through all the deleted stuff, it can be traced but no where near as easily as the old paper system.

I've had loads of e-mails go unanswered (From British firms) so much so that if possible I don't e-mail now I revert to the 'snail mail' and send it recorded delivery.

It sounds to me like you ran a tight ship when you were in sales but sadly any sales manager who even dares raise his voice, let alone actually swear at a junior will find himself in a 'harassment' situation with personell dept. (Sorry 'human resources!!!) handing out lectures on 'equality' and 'fairness' and God knows what other crimes. Bet you're glad you're retired now, I know I am lol.

Not a motorhome but a car. My son had a large, several £k in an envelope in his pocket for a deposit, the balance in cash. He enquired about a Mitsubisi Evo, and asked for a test drive. The salesman told him that it was not possible, presumably he looked to young, although he is an Airline pilot. He then asked to see the manager and showed him the rather large cash deposit, after this it was , how can we help you SIR, can you take a test drive now or can we make an appointment for a more convenient time. He "politely told them" to get stuffed and walked out. He then bought a prestige model form another dealer.

I can never understant this or motorhome dealers casual attitude with regard to sales. I guess we are seen as a bunch of morons with more money than sense if we are looking at a new motorhome at twice (minimum) of a decent BMw or Merc.

Oh god who ever said about Elite has me worried now *-)

I had this problem at failry local dealership. They looked us up and down stood smoking their fags and didnt want to know .as thisis our 4 van they lost the sale a few times .

Sounds like you had a lucky escape if that is how they treat customers when buying imagine the rush they will be in when they have your money and you want them to help you

I would telephone and ask for Mike Crouch who is man director

Marquis MotorhomesOrchard Works, Willersey, Nr Broadway, Worcs WR12 7QF T:08000 26 7777

ask him what he thinks of your sales experience

if he is not available ask for Geoff Scott

see here on who owns the company

http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/uploads/reviews/MBO%20Interview%20-%20Practical%20MH.pdf

Dave, As for the salesman losing the details-that's a sacrilege in sales-surely you can't 'lose' an email? you can however lose a sale. I was always taught it was a lot easier to lose a customer than win one!

Fair comment but that wasn't made clear in the OP. As for loosing details being a "sacrilege " all I can say is crap occurs. P'boro was an exceptionally wet show and many traders, including ourselves cut their/our losse and went home Sunday morning. With such a situation and 3,500 pre booked campers on site it is not beyond the realms of possibility for an individual customers details to get mislaid, as I said, crap occurs!

Why not phone them instead of bleating on here?

D.

Insurance tale but similar lines.

My insurer, who I shall not name until the outcome has been reached, invited me to renew last month.

I accepted, paid in full, and received a temp cover note, documents and certificate to follow.

Temp cover note has now expired, and no documents have been received.

I phone them, (hopeless), e-mail (no reply) and then go to their website and find a complaints e-mail address.

I e-mail complaints and they send an automated response. They have not phoned me despite me including contact numbers.

So, if this was you, would you be

A Furious

B Relaxed

C None of the above

Martyn

Dave Newell - 2012-05-11 7:54 PM

Fair comment but that wasn't made clear in the OP. As for loosing details being a "sacrilege " all I can say is crap occurs. P'boro was an exceptionally wet show and many traders, including ourselves cut their/our losse and went home Sunday morning. With such a situation and 3,500 pre booked campers on site it is not beyond the realms of possibility for an individual customers details to get mislaid, as I said, crap occurs!

Why not phone them instead of bleating on here?

D.

Dave I am not 'bleating' on here just stating a fact. Maybe I didn't make it clear in my OP but in my explanation post I thought I had.

To Clarify:

I sent them an email requesting information, contact, trade in value etc on the Monday AFTER the show ie 1st May-It is now 11th May. I have heard nothing! This is poor customer service in anyone's book

I appreciate 'crap' happens but it doesn't justify it-their loss

Please everybody,no more posts on this matter-I wish I'd never mentioned this in the first place. Mouth and wallet firmly shut

Mike

Mike, I see you asked for an end to this thread but if I may just say, if the e-mail was addressed to the 'Sales Dept.' then it's likely sitting in some 'inbox' that no one has taken responsibility for. This has also happened to me numerous times, it's a fault of the way the e-mail system was set up, but God help the person who tries to find out who that was, the buck gets passed around like a 'hot potatoe' at a bunga bunga party!!!!!!

Mike B. - 2012-05-11 4:27 PM

Maybe that's the problem. The van I want is an Elnagh Magnum 70. I have an Elnagh Slim 6 at present which I bought new in 2005 and have been very happy with. Marquis are listed on the Elnagh website as the only dealers in the UK. I believe they used to be owned by Sea who make Elnagh vans. Maybe they want to sell British vans as I put in earlier post and maybe it is considered too much trouble to follow up a Sea enquiry now. I don't know the reason-just disappointed. If they don't want to or are unable to supply Italian vans, perhaps they should be removed from the dealer list-mind you if they did that there would be nobody to ask! :'( There used to be a number of dealers but I think when Sea bought Autosleepers they used them as national dealers and left the likes of Fullers, Amotts & 1 in Abergele)

I am going to Europe in June for a couple of months so will have a look for dealers over there-don't want to particularly buy abroad but if I can't get what I want here what choice have I?

Mike

I know you want an end to this thread, but I have only just seen your reply, so please allow me the courtesy of a reply back.

I understand what you want as far as a van is concerned now.

Is it possible that the Elnagh website is incorrect? Certainly when looking at Marquis' website there is no mention of Elnagh on there. I say this because a few years ago when we were looking at buying another motorhome, we were looking at the Frankia website. At that time Spinney, who used to be a dealer for Frankia, no longer was. However, for quite a while afterwards, Frankia's own website still stated them as being a Frankia dealer for the UK.

I agree with you though that they should have replied to your email, but from my own personal experience emails are not always replied to. At the moment we have an insurance claim on-going (house) and have sent 2 emails to the Claims Management Company (who say in their letter we can either ring them or contact them via email), and are also still awaiting a reply!

Good luck with finding the motorhome you want.

Ina.

Is it possible that the Elnagh website is incorrect? Certainly when looking at Marquis' website there is no mention of Elnagh on there.

I thought that too. I have it in the back of my mind that I read somewhere that they don't act as SEA's agents any more, but I can't find anything on the internet to back that up (doesn't help that there's nothing really convenient to hang an internet search on). Would have thought it was worth the OP ringing Marquis up to ask prior to posting complaints on-line.

Archived