Vehicle battery life expectancy

malc d

The vehicle battery in my 2003 Ducato 2.8JTD is now 9 years old, and, although I haven't actually checked it with a multimeter yet, it still starts the van first time, and the indicator in the top of the battery is " green " which ( according to the handbook ) means that " the electrolyte level and charge are sufficient "

According to all the info I've read, vehicle battery life is usually about 5 -6 years max.

Anyone else find that their battery has lasted as long as 9 years ?

( The battery on my previous car lasted over 8 years ).

(?)

I bought a 99 Ford Focus in 2000 and sold it last year still with its original battery. I know the current owner and he has not mentioned replacing the battery.

Computerised engine management means the engine fires up after the first turn instead of the starter churning over for many seconds pushing the battery to its limit at each cold start. That coupled with a well matched alternator that rapidly restores the charge gives batteries a much easier life than 30 years ago.

malc d - 2012-05-12 4:13 PM

The vehicle battery in my 2003 Ducato 2.8JTD is now 9 years old, and, although I haven't actually checked it with a multimeter yet, it still starts the van first time, and the indicator in the top of the battery is " green " which ( according to the handbook ) means that " the electrolyte level and charge are sufficient "

(?)

I've just changed the original battery in my 2004 Fiat 2.8 jtd. It didn't have enough to turn the engine over even though my solar panel charges into the engine battery.

The week before I suspected it was on the way out as it turned over the engine slowly before catching.

The indicator was, and still is, showing green (old battery on my garage floor).

What did surprise me was that there was no breather pipe on the old battery.

Also, it looked almost impossible to check the electrolyte level without removing the battery, and all those connections on the +ve terminal was a nightmare.

I'll have to investigate the lack of a breather pipe on the new battery as well.

regards

Allen

Think it depends on how you use your van, when I went to work in mine (40 mile round trip monday to friday) then away most weekends battery was never a problem.

Now I have retired, and we never seem to get away for one reason or another, replaced both engine and lesiure battery at 6 years.

Pete

10 year old (102,000) Audi spends a lot of its life on the drive as we spend 26 weeks or so away in the van. Even after a three month trip away it starts first time. Original battery.

Similarly, following a lull period (3 or 4 weeks at home >:-( ) the van always starts first time - 2010 Fiat ducato. We also have a pair of 95AH (I think) liesure batteries which also seem to last well.

Is there a trick, dont know - but, dont let any battery remain exhausted as it will die.

Archived