Croatia

Anne

Husband and I are planning to travel down to Croatia in July [be there for 10-12 days], via eurotunnel.

Any advice, tips, suggestions that anyone can make about the route there,where to go and what to see when we get there, would be most welcome: at the moment we have a blank sheet.

Thanks,

Hi Anne

Went down there a few years back and I would recommend that you visit the Plitvice Lakes - especially if the weather is nice. It's a series of lakes that ' drop ' like a staircase over some distance ( a few kilometres if I remember rightly ).

There was a campsite a few miles away ( Korana ? ) from where there was a regular bus service to the lakes.

The coast can be quite rocky, rather than sandy, but there are some nice beaches on the islands. We visited Rab Island.

Lovely warm, clear seas !

Have a good trip.

;-)

You will be going at the hottest, and most expensive, time of year. Given that, the fact that you seem not to have an objective in mind, and that it is quite a long way to go, I'm tempted to ask why you are intending to go?

Your business, entirely, of course, but might borrowing, say, a Rough (or similar) guide from your local library not help to give you a bit of focus?

There are many potential routes. There are various natural and historic attractions. There is an awful lot of rocky coast, and a few reasonable beaches that will be very crowded.

To get pleasure from your trip, and more relevant guidance from anyone on here, I think you will really need to do some basic research and then come back with an outline of what generally interests you, and where you think you may go. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing if what we suggest is what you will enjoy. Sorry to sound negative, but it is nearly 300 miles from the Slovenian border to Dubrovnik, and there is quite a lot of country between the two.

Guest pelmetman

Hi Anne welcome to the forum.....

As Brian said a bit more background info is useful to get the best out of the forum........... ;-)

Have you had the camper long......are you city culture vultures......or prefer small villages and harbours?......

10 to 12 days will soon fly by.......we are away for a month and are halfway through already :'(

pelmetman - 2012-05-14 5:42 PM

As Brian said a bit more background info is useful to get the best out of the forum........... ;-)

Have you had the camper long......are you city culture vultures......or prefer small villages and harbours?......

10 to 12 days will soon fly by.......we are away for a month and are halfway through already :'(

Much to the relief of your neighbours no doubt (lol)

knight of the road - 2012-05-14 6:37 PM

)

I note that Anne first registered on the forum more than four years ago, so may well be an expert.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2012-05-14 7:46 PM

knight of the road - 2012-05-14 6:37 PM

)

I note that Anne first registered on the forum more than four years ago, so may well be an expert.

;-)

Blimey.........4 years til your 1st post..........I thought my internet connection was slow :D

Anne.

As Brian says its a long way to go for 10 to 12 days, we were there 2 years ago in September for the month and that was not long enough. It will be very hot at the time you suggest, Croatia is not at all cheap but there again it is a lovely Country and the People very friendly. Camp site are generaly good they put CC and CCC site to shame.

The pletvica lakes are fantastic, there are fantastic sites to see. Beware of the Bora the wind that blows from the Mountains. Yes the Coast is rocky no sandy beaches but the water is warm and crystal clear.

You need to do your homework to get lots of background information before you go.

David.

Mr B igot - 2012-05-20 12:35 AM

Anne - 2012-05-14 3:08 PM

Husband and I are planning to travel down to Croatia in July [be there for 10-12 days], via eurotunnel.

Any advice, tips, suggestions that anyone can make about the route there,where to go and what to see when we get there, would be most welcome: at the moment we have a blank sheet.

Thanks,

Yes take some these Croatia buggers back to their country.

You contradict yourself, in one thread you say we should embrace other cultures and in this thread you are saying to Anne take the Croation buggers back to Croatia, make your mind up pal

Hi everybody, thanks for the tips and advice.

We have had our Hymer for about 8 years now and very much enjoy 'following our noses' and enjoying the journey. We invariably find that something crops up or we meet someone who points us in a particular direction and we are rarely disappointed.

Still working dictates how long we can be away, so we may just explore a small part of the country and come back another time and do a bit more.

We tend to stay/travel in quieter spots for most of the time, although I am inevitably drawn towards water but we do like an occasional trip into a bigger town or city .

Our provisional plans are to head down towards Metz to visit a vineyard [and pick up some supplies] that we have come to enjoy and then sort of head through Germany and towards Trieste and then into the top west of Croatia and then explore.

How does that sound?

Anne

Guest JudgeMental

we were there last summer in July, weather was glorious, it was busy but no problems on beach or in restuarants...wife works in education so we always have to travel school holidays and have never had a problem......

we were disappointed with the west coast of Istria peninsular, campsites big, expensive and crowded and sea water dirty..it got filthier as you head up toward Italy (we went to Venice and Italian lakes) lovely Venetian towns though.....

The Island of Krk and town of Baska in south lovely, with crystal clear waters and.....Next time we will drive down to Zadar and visit the other islands and Pitvick lakes...

Our route was - Munich - Salzburgh - Villach - Slovenia - Croatia

Guest JudgeMental
CliveH - 2012-05-21 1:08 PM

That really does sound Good!

Want to go now!!

Its a nice change.....In fact if wife takes redundancy which she is in two minds about, we may head down there again in late June, visit the islands and get ferry from Zadar over to Italy which brings us into the back of Tuscany (where we were going anyway this year) then up to Lake Garda to meet our children and friends..

Anne threads like this will get a better response over on Motor home matters (main forum) as many dont even look in to chatterbox as it is full of distasteful people

Sounds really good Judge! - Lake Garda!! - wonderful.

Your last comment I find sad tho' - still - if and when we retire a MH is on our agenda.

Anne - we are not all like the child mind curently infecting Chatterbox - mostly we get on well - some diference of opinion obviously - but B idiot is like those kids with a CB radio - think it big to say naughty words in an attempt t get a reaction.

B Idiot is just another needy emotionaly retarded individual who has a need for attention. They would never have the nerve to do this in the normal world - but when they sit behind a keyboard!! - they just can not help themselves.(lol) (lol)

Sad really.

Hope you have a great time!

An educated guess on my part - having two children going through their teenage years in the past - you recognise the signs. If you are not actually teenage years yourself you can do a fair impressions, I will grant you that. (lol) (lol)

Archived