ducato rear springs

nwsxp50

Guest ChrisB
We had a vehicle which leaned over noticeably from new until loaded. I think this was because all of the heavy fixed service items (fridge, oven, shower etc) were on the offside. Once cupboards were loaded and with water in the (internal) tank ready for the off it was level and well balanced.

peter - 2012-05-15 9:57 PM

Could also be that the shock absorber on the low side is leaking. Have a look for any oil round it.

You might be right in that this model of vehicle is a special design case, but in all my experience, I've never come across a situation where a shock absorber supports any of the weight at rest of a vehicle.

Their job is simply to dampen the "springing" action of the body supported upon the springs, not to support any weight.

In every single case that I've ever dealt with, there is shock absorber travel beyond the extent of the axle travel upon the springs.

Thus when the body of the vehicle is at rest, the shock absorber is not acting to pull down upon, nor push up upon that vehicle body above it.

A broken spring is a remote possibility (unlikely, but possible)........assuming a leaf spring setup rather than single spring arrangement ..........simply visual checking all along both rear spring-sets can easily tell.

But I suspect unequal loading weights..........either from fixed items, or from stuff added by owner, or both.

If the owner is able to get to a friendly weighbridge he might be able to drive partly onto it at an angle so that only one rear wheel is on it; get a weight reading and then repeat with the other rear wheel.

Also check air pressure in each rear tyre.

Also, how much wine you'd drunk before peering at the rear of your van and deciding that it was tipsey.........?

Hi All, After further examination, I found the spring had broken. I replaced both rear springs with uprated springs from aftermarket UK. Its not the easyest job due to the weight of everything but it done now and the van sits square and slightly higher. Thanks. Simon

Hi All, After further examination, I found the spring had broken. I replaced both rear springs with uprated springs from aftermarket UK. Its not the easyest job due to the weight of everything but it done now and the van sits square and slightly higher. Thanks. Simon

Archived