Touring Bavaria

geoff

Hi folks,

I'm wanting to explore Bavaria but as I havent been able to obtain any brochures I would be interested in any tips on where to visit, where to avoid, quiet stellplatzs,etc.

I'll be starting at Frankfurt , finishing at Lindau, and I've got two weeks free to explore the region. We're not interested in theme parks ,shopping malls, art galleries, walking or climbing (either seen it, done it, cant afford it, or past it !)

Please restrict your suggestions to Bavaria, cos however nice it is I dont want to leave Germany or visit the Black Forest (again)

Guest JudgeMental

Google? Its FREE

Oh! hang on a minute you have to plug PC into an electrical supply, and as that cost money probably out of the question.

Local Library? lots of guide books anf FREE internet

Hitlers "Eagles Nest" at/close to Berchesgarden is well worth a trip.

Views are stunning with a view of some 40 miles or more

Car park half way up the mountain then you have to take a bus.

Don't go too late in the year as this place has been known to be closed early by snow.

Some of the Sound of Music was filmed around here and the places are absolutely stunning

Oh! hang on a minute you have to plug PC into an electrical supply, and as that cost money probably out of the question.

Dont talk daft ! I run it off the battery and charge it up at work !

Anyway, can I assume from your answer that you dont have any first hand knowledge of that part of Europe?

I'd agree with Syd.

The Eagles Nest is worth a visit.

When we went there, many years ago, we were bussed half way up the mountain, then took a lift up through the middle of the mountain and came out on a small stretch of land, in brilliant sunshine, above the clouds.

( ... and it's some lift ! )

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

I may well be there this summer on way to Tuscany....... would hate to bump into you and ruin the visit...

try the forum "search" function

Have found another dump/fresh water spot for you, near Calais. Camping de la Bien Assise, Guines just outside Calais. motorhome point to left outside front gate....

geoff - 2012-05-18 2:25 PM

Anyway, can I assume from your answer that you dont have any first hand knowledge of that part of Europe?

From his previous postings, I believe that he may be the German motorhome manufacturers' official sales representative in the U.K.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2012-05-18 2:38 PM

geoff - 2012-05-18 2:25 PM

From his previous postings, I believe that he may be the German motorhome manufacturers' official sales representative in the U.K.

;-)

Its really not a difficult job and extra dollars useful.....

Look at flickas new van thread, identical vans and £20,000 more for the privilege of having steering wheel on the right hand side!lol UK dealers dontcha just love em....

Guest pelmetman
Yep Eagles nest a must.........and there was this Glacier thingy........but my most abiding memory is getting food poisoning and being sat on the bog whilst throwing up in the shower.........glad we were in a hotel :D

pelmetman - 2012-05-18 2:58 PM

Yep Eagles nest a must.........and there was this Glacier thingy........but my most abiding memory is getting food poisoning and being sat on the bog whilst throwing up in the shower.........glad we were in a hotel :D

Serves you right for staying in a hotel.

;-)

geoff - 2012-05-18 11:52 AM...We're not interested in theme parks ,shopping malls, art galleries, walking or climbing ...

Is there anything you do actually want to do - it might help.

If you're into celebrities I saw Michael Schumacher in a huge Concorde on the stellplatz at Inzell - doubt he's still there though.

Spent some time rough camping in the general vicinity as I'm into biathlon and it's close to Ruhpolding. It's a cracking area - though mainly geared to outdoory type things.

last year we did 2 weeks in Bavaria lovely site in Berchtesgarten and stayed at a great site at Mittenwald, very friendy brilliant scenery and satyed in Munich on the way for 3 days and thouroughly enjoyed it. All the sites we used are in the ACSI book.

JudgeMental - 2012-05-18 2:35 PM

I may well be there this summer on way to Tuscany....... would hate to bump into you and ruin the visit...

try the forum "search" function

Have found another dump/fresh water spot for you, near Calais. Camping de la Bien Assise, Guines just outside Calais. motorhome point to left outside front gate....

Thanks for the watering hole info. I see your'e keeping abreast of the situation !

BTW, dont worry about bumping into me and spoiling my visit. I'm a trained psychiatric nurse and I've had to cope with people with worse problems than yours ! Perhaps it would be helpful if we could talk face to face, as I could show you how to overcome the inhibitions regarding your true identity and discuss whether your "nom de plume" should it be viewed as a noun or a verb ?

Must go, I'm going to try that search function you suggested TTFN

Guest pelmetman
My trouble with site seeing in Germany is once you have been window shopping down the Reeperbahn there is nothing that matches it for holding my attention 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-05-18 4:53 PM

My trouble with site seeing in Germany is once you have been window shopping down the Reeperbahn there is nothing that matches it for holding my attention 8-)

Did you never go to the Mecca Locarno on a Wednesday night ?

Guest pelmetman
geoff - 2012-05-18 5:06 PM

pelmetman - 2012-05-18 4:53 PM

Did you never go to the Mecca Locarno on a Wednesday night ?

I thought that was muslims only :D

I hesitate to mention this as it is not quiet Bavaria but as Philman has said Salzburg is beautiful but as I hinted in my first reply The Sound of Music Trail that starts in Salzburg is a absolute MUST because it was filmed in the most beautiful spots in that area.

You might think that it sounds a bit NAFF but believe me it isn't

At the risk of prompting a reply from JM regarding my change of route, I'll take your advice Syd and cross the border to Salzburg as I dont want to miss shooting some good views.

Thanks for the tip David but we've already visited the balloon factory. What month did you go, we never saw any midges early summer ?

Hi Geoff,

If you have changed your mind about your destination then probably no good to you but must agree with earlier poster that the castles south of Munich are great and there is a great site at Forgensee, alongside a smashing lake. BTW I phoned the German Tourist Office in London a few weeks ago and received heaps of literature free from them- worth the effort.

enjoy wherever

derek

Archived