Bike cover

Pete-B

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to the scene with zilch practical experience of motorhomes but know it all on paper after reading a library of books and magazines, talking to scores of salesmen and viewing hundreds of vans but really to what use? Both the duchess and I are both well into retirement and we've taken the plunge in ordering a new Bessecarr E460. One of the extras the dealer is fitting is a bike rack and SWMBO says we ought to get a cover for them. So my first, and I'm sure there's going to be lots more question is, could someone recommend a good one.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions

The main reason for a cover is because the all muck, rain, grit etc blows up the back of the van and obviously will hit your bikes on the rack.

You can get a decent cover from Ebay, Argos etc-don't need anything ultra expensive about £10-15 is usual. Also if you are planning on going to Europe, a reflective plate for the overhang is compulsory in Spain and recommended in most other countries

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

I just bought the cheapish Fiamma cover, seems to work OK does not fully cover like some but keeps the driving rain of which is of more concern with electric bikes. It also hides our valuable bikes from the attention of thieving toe rags

It also has a pocket to take the safety sign so no faffing about required fixing that straight either.. Bikes get dirty anyway if yo use them..a quick hose down and sponging does the job.....

make sure rack is at a comfortable height, and differnt racks have differnt payloads so select carefully

Taylormade make a good one..they also do insulated screen covers which are more or less essential as well: http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

We have a TaylorMadecycle cover, but had to alter it because our electic bikes are a bit longer than average.

The cover was the best we had seen as regards quality of material and workmanship.

Be aware that some Halfords covers are only for "covering" the small print we found later on the box stated "Not for use in Transit"

Rgds

Just an additional thought....I am quite short and could not reach to get the cover over the bikes when on the rear bike rack. I bought a really neat folding step for 6.99. Folds flat and weighs little but takes up to 15 stone. Really useful for reaching up. Try an google search. for a large selection.

Archived