Tow Bar for AutoTrail Apache 700 - 2012 Model

treborsiwel

Hello all

Just after some advice, I am picking up my new motorhome next week and have been informed that the rules regarding tow bars are being changed and that they must have type approval. can anyone help identify:

A: Who can source such a type approved tow bar?

B: What's a good/average price, don't mind paying just no idea what a good/fair price is?

C: Recommended tow bar fitters/company in the Stanstead, Braintree, North Essex area?

Thanks

B

treborsiwel - 2012-05-20 10:28 PM

Hello all

Just after some advice, I am picking up my new motorhome next week and have been informed that the rules regarding tow bars are being changed and that they must have type approval. can anyone help identify:

A: Who can source such a type approved tow bar?

B: What's a good/average price, don't mind paying just no idea what a good/fair price is?

C: Recommended tow bar fitters/company in the Stanstead, Braintree, North Essex area?

Thanks

B

I noticed this recent MHF thread

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-123716-days0-orderasc-0.html

As I shall never tow with a motorhome I've never bothered to research the subject in any depth, but I think the MHF advice about needing a Type Approved towbar is correct.

I suggest you contact this company - that offers Type Approved towbars - and confirm what the current position is. They should also be able to give you a ball-park figure regarding cost.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_towbars.html

We had a Watling Tow Bar fitted last year.They have approved fitting Companies around the Uk, so no problem if you are not close to them.

They also do a Fiat Ducatto / Peugeot Boxer vehicle specific 'plug in' 12N kit - 2007 onwards that links to the Vehicle Canbus system.

When looking on their website, go to the price list tab, for specific vehicle,although dated 2011, it will give you an indication of "whole" set-up costs.

My understanding is that a type approved vehicle (which I guess yours is) has to have a tow hook type approved for that vehicle. Eldiss and Swift both list type approved tow hooks as options on their price lists for this very reason I assume. When we purchased our Autocruise last year we got the dealer to include it as part of the deal to avoid any possible problems later either with UK or EU authorities. There may be a grey area in that any tow hook with type approval can be fitted to a type approved vehicle using an interface mounting system but I would check with Autotrail to get their opinion and check thoroughly with any towbar fitter before proceeding.

peter - 2012-05-22 9:11 PM

Towtal website states that type approval does not apply to motorhome towbars.

Then Towtal website is wrong, in part.

If the vehicle after conversion, is Type Approved (i.e. Eldiss and Swift new models) then a Type Approved Towbar is required.

Not sure if Type Approval applies to Autotrail - unable to find any reference on their website.

flicka - 2012-05-23 8:50 PM

peter - 2012-05-22 9:11 PM

Towtal website states that type approval does not apply to motorhome towbars.

Then Towtal website is wrong, in part.

If the vehicle after conversion, is Type Approved (i.e. Eldiss and Swift new models) then a Type Approved Towbar is required.

Not sure if Type Approval applies to Autotrail - unable to find any reference on their website.

If you look in the (downloadable) Auto-Trail 2012 brochure you'll find the following statement on Page 47

"European Standards/Directives

All our motorhomes comply with EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval and comply to all relevant European Standards."

It would appear that Auto-Trail models may have had ECWVTA since end-2010

http://warranty.auto-trail.co.uk/bulletins/1.pdf

The websites of companies involved in towing or tow-bar products seem either to be out-of-date, inaccurate or ambiguous about this. In this instance Auto-Trail should be the logical source for expert advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived