Is it worth undersealing it?

SAS

Hi all, is it worth undersealing our 2002 Talisman? I realise it should have been done when we got the vehicle 7 years ago but somehow it got overlooked. It has started to rust a bit underneath but not sure if it`s now too late. *-)

Guest Peter James

After 40 years of crawling under vehicles my advice is this.

Brush the thick dirt off or wash it off with a pressure washer.

Then when its dry brush some cheap engine or gear oil on it.

(I use new oil as old oil stinks)

I have often found rust growing beneath underseal,

but I have never found rust growing on oily metal.

And another benefit of oil is that you don't need bright clean metal like you do for underseal or paint. Oil sticks better to rusty metal than clean metal.

But most of the 'professional' advice you will read is aimed at selling you something else.

Because there isn't much profit in selling a litre of cheap oil.

Guest Peter James
thebishbus - 2012-05-24 12:58 PM

I agree, use Waxoyl, not underseal. Clean off the loose rust first, then a good coating of Waxoyl, this soaks into the rust and stops it spreading.

Brian B.

Maybe Waxoyl lasts longer than ordinary oil? I don't know as I haven't tried it.

Incidentally, I found when I got clean engine oil on my shirt it washed out easily. Its only the mucky black oil that leaves a stain. Seems to be the muck in the oil, rather than the oil itself, that won't wash out.

A film of air excluding oil is better than underseal to protect against rust. Gear oil is better than engine oil as it contains anti oxidants and is intended to stick and provide long term protection to gears when standing idle. Is there any such thing as cheap oil any more and if so how good are the anti-oxidants.

Wax type protective oils if you belive the advertising incorporate anti-oxidants and are designed to creep and reform the all important air excluding film if damaged. I can't recall any of my vehicles I have used them on over the last 40 + years ever needing welding for an MOT.

Diy with a brush is better than nothing but the professionals have the kit to get it inside the box sections.

I pay particular attention to suspension springs: leaf , coil or torsion bar, these highly stressed components are vulnerable to cracks starting in corrosion.

Guest pelmetman

I bought a new Honda Accord in I think 77 in Gib.....I treated that with Waxoyl myself but even so Honda was using crap tin in those days and rust was starting to show..........after 18 months *-)

Fortunately i managed to sell it to a Lt Cdr for £1500 more than I paid for it :D

Guest Peter James
George Collings - 2012-05-25 6:54 PM

the professionals have the kit to get it inside the box sections.

I just use an ordinary oil can

Good point about the (thicker) gear oil sticking better than engine oil

But then again (thinner) engine oil is more penetrating?

Just make sure that you cover up your skin and wear gloves and goggles - oil (gear or engine) can cause damage to skin I believe.

Also a hard hat might not go amiss either to prevent those all to likely head banging episodes from doing any damage! *-) Although for some forumites it might knock some sense in!!! :D

Archived