Park n Ride York or York parking

Brock

Couldn't find anything using the search function although there were some obscure results to the search.

Looking to go to York next weekend, probably Sunday 3rd, so wonder where is the best place to park the van, 6.5m long. Will be approaching from the west A64 but am willing to park anywhere where the van will fit and is as safe as can be. York website says Askham Bar is not accessible to high sided vehicles such as vans.

Brock - 2012-05-25 7:54 PM

Couldn't find anything using the search function although there were some obscure results to the search.

Looking to go to York next weekend, probably Sunday 3rd, so wonder where is the best place to park the van, 6.5m long. Will be approaching from the west A64 but am willing to park anywhere where the van will fit and is as safe as can be. York website says Askham Bar is not accessible to high sided vehicles such as vans.

Not been to York for a while but heading from the West, the 1st exit off the A64 for York there is a big P&R near Tesco which had no height or length restrictions last time we were there.

Alternatively, they do a shuttle to the McArthur Glenn outlet-perhaps you could do that in reverse? Or the racecourse if there is no racing on?

Mike

From the A64 join the A 1097 at the roundabout and head towards Grimston Bar Park and Ride.

The Park is approx 1 km from the roundabout. Take the left turn into the Park and Ride.

Speak to a member of Staff or one of the Drivers who will open the height barrier for you to Park.

You can use your Bus pass if you have one to travel into the City. There is a 70 p charge per person.

They are very accomodating to M/Home users.

Guest Peter James

If you've got a bike, head for Rowntree Park. Free and unrestricted parking near the various entrances, and a lovely bike ride through the park and along the riverside into York. :-)

(Its a nice walk too, but to walk there, walk round York, then walk back, you would have to be very keen on walking!)

Brock - 2012-05-25 7:54 PM

Just look on Yorks council web site, it is quite clear. You can park at Monks Cross, Grimston bar, Rawcliffe Bar park and ride. Their is roadside parking at Foss Islands road where you can stay for up to 13 hours.

speaking as a local, you're best bet is MacArthur Glen / Designer Outlet on A19 junction with A64.

Large car park for the Designer Outlet large car park for the Park and Ride.

Follow signs to Designer Outlet, ie turn right from A64 so you're heading south towards Selby then right again at roundabout.

A quick note on other posts - Tesco P+R is Askham Bar P+R - Tesco has limited stay policy on car park, and P+R had a height barrier last time I passed it

Grimston Bar is on the A1079 not A1097 - charge with OAP pass is 60p each way

Monks X is ok - but you could get stuck in traditional Scarborough holdup at the Hopgrove roundabout.

Both Grimston Bar and Monks X have barriers that have to be opened by staff.

DON'T even think think about going in to York and think of street parking anywhere other than Foss Islands Road. Rowtrees Park area is lovely, but not suitable for parking large motorhome unless you want to piss of the locals

Other options - with a bit of cheating, near Foss Islands, is Morrisons / Homebase Car park for 2 / 3 hours and a nice stroll in along the river Foss.

or Sainsbury's not sure of current rate but you could get 4 hours parking for the price of £10 spent in store. But only one access point without height barrier, with tight turns

Honestly can't see any advantage to driving further than you have to, and Designer Outlet has easiest access to A64 of any P+R.

York is lovely, enjoy, if you like exploring check out the snickelways,

http://www.oneandother.com/articles/30-days-of-obscure-york-the-snickelways/

btw - all riversides are safe again

>:-) >:-)

Guest Peter James
twooks - 2012-05-27 8:52 PM

. Rowtrees Park area is lovely, but not suitable for parking large motorhome unless you want to piss of the locals

I have always parked there on our public road with no problems, because our public road belongs equally to us all I thought we all have equal rights to use our public road?

(although I don't have a motorhome, I have a large van loaded with furniture ;-) )

Where do people park when visiting Rowntree Park?

Sorry Lord Martyn, but the St Georges Field Car Park, which is in a fantastic position to appreciate York now specifically states no motorhomes, I've had a whinge at some very pleasant people but have been told that this is because there have been complaints resulting from misuse and litter left by motorhome users - not much you can do to rebut that - and the ban is non-negotiable - includes all types of MH and apparently also covers blue-badgers

There is a car park next to Rowntrees Park, and even though it was flooded last time I saw it, you wouldn't get MH in, even without the added complication of the height barrier, which wasn't actually in use at that time, but if it's there it can be closed.

Most of the streets in that area are residential, don't know about anyone else but I'd be seriously unimpressed by a big van dumped in front of my home. I noticed last year that more and more No MH parking signs appearing - even in France. Could by my imagination but in the years we've been bumming around in the 'van most vehicles have got bigger - longer, higher and sometimes even wider, blocking out the light - causing obstructions - etc - result, more negative responses. This gives ALL MHers a bad reputation as a result of actions by a few.

I don't think that there is a 'right to park' on the public road, even if there are no lines or other signage. The police can decide you are causing an obstruction and so preventing free flow of traffic, even if you are outside your home. Not sure where exactly my brain has dragged this from, presumably Highway Code, but in a long ago previous life when I worked I did have to refer to various Road Acts, so it could be in the small print somewhere. Of course Scottish law frequently varies from that south of the border.

Going back to York parking, like most cities York is trying to discourage vehicle entry, unfortunately it does this [like most cities] by providing P+R [A+++ for that] but at prices that only really cost in for one person per car [ >:-) *-) ].

Guest Peter James
twooks - 2012-05-28 8:34 PM Most of the streets in that area are residential, don't know about anyone else but I'd be seriously unimpressed by a big van dumped in front of my home. .

Why? I live on the outskirts of a village that has very little parking, so am used to people parking outside my house. Doesn't bother me at all, after all its a public road so its theirs as much as its mine. I never need the space because I have a long drive to park on, and if I wasn't capable of driving round them I shouldn't be driving at all. Why should I object to their parking on a public road?

I can see that parking is scarce in some streets so when I am away I always prefer to park on a road where there are plenty of available spaces so I am not inconveniencing anyone or breaking any law. But I am not going to be reticent or apologetic about legally parking on a road that is as much mine as anyone else's. If anybody says anything I always throw their crap back at them, and tell them I cannot park on the car park because of not being able to park within a marked bay etc, so the only place I can legally park nearby is there on the street. Please complain to the council and get the car park restrictions lifted so we can park on there :-D

Archived