French Breath Test Kits

Part Time

Part Time - 2012-05-30 9:53 AM

They had pictures but the box must be unopened. See page 191 June MMM for details.

I wasn't aware of anything in the French regulations that says the outer box cannot be opened.....can you give me any link to the French Regs source for that detail please?

I thought the Regulation simply says that you must carry an unused breath-tester in any car/lorry/van using French roads from July onwards, that it must be marked "NF" as conforming to the French testing standard, and it must be within it's "valid until" date.

Part Time - 2012-05-30 9:53 AM

They had pictures but the box must be unopened. See page 191 June MMM for details.

The breathalysers being marketed via Halfords are aimed at the UK market and the English-language packaging/instructions reflect this.

Presumably the breathalysers you bought from Carrefour will have been aimed specifically at the French market (it is, after all, a French law that they address) and, consequently, there's no particular reason to think English-language packaging/instructions will appear on them. That's what I was asking - do your Carrefour-obtained breathalysers carry information/instructions in English?

While I'm sure it will be the case that UK motorists visiting France will tend to treat the mandatory breathalyser as another irritating French legal requirement, if a UK motorist feels the need to use the breathalyser (rather than just carry it) French-language-only instructions may prove to be a problem. Having not seen one of these things in the flesh, it may be that they carry multi-language instructions.

If the breathalysers are sold in a boxed 2-pack, that does not prevent the box being opened. The breathalysers are individually packaged within the box and it's the individual packaging that must remain sealed. The idea (in principle) behind the 2-pack is that a motorist can test himself/herself with one of the two breathalysers, but still comply with the French 'must carry' law because the other breathalyser remains in a sealed condition.

Randonneur - 2012-05-30 1:33 PM

Just bought 2 from a place called Ivan Tout - a warehouse type place - they were 1.49 euros.

You have to carry them unopened so that the Gendarmes can use them with you instead of using their own. Moneysaving excercise me thinks.

I don't think that's actually the case - as the Police carry their own portable multi-use machines, and just give you a sealed mouthpiece for you to unseal, stick on the end of their machine and then blow into.

I assume their digital machines are regularly re-calibrated; and somewhat more accurate than a cheapo, colour-changing, one-use disposable jobbie; and thus would be the equipment that they would rely upon if bringing a prosecution.

onecal - 2012-05-30 6:17 PMHi,
What is the purpose of carrying an unopened packet,when the French Police are going to use their own? 
Regards,
Brendan

Duh..... because the law says you have to.

onecal - 2012-05-30 6:17 PMHi,
What is the purpose of carrying an unopened packet,when the French Police are going to use their own? 
Regards,
Brendan

This brings us back to what's appeared on other threads on this topic.Basically, no-one is suggesting there's any real logic to this law, but the French authorities felt they had to do SOMETHING to show that drink-driving was unacceptable - even in France! And having been in French cafés where truckers were downing pre-lunch pastis (that's plural) and washing lunch down with a glass or two of wine, I can see their point.Of course it makes no logical sense to check whether a driver has an UNUSED breathalyser - much more relevant if he'd USED it! But if it makes the point to those truckers, I don't mind shelling out.

Have I missed something here, as I see it you have to carry one to comply with the law, but I have seen nothing that says that you have to use it, before driving if you have been drinking. So surely if you never use it, but just carry it with you, then you are complying with the law. Cannot see how that can have any effect on drink driving. Seems a pointless law to me.

8-) Brian B.

ps Perhaps the government have just opened a breathalyser factory. (lol)

thebishbus - 2012-05-31 8:58 AM

Have I missed something here, as I see it you have to carry one to comply with the law, but I have seen nothing that says that you have to use it, before driving if you have been drinking. So surely if you never use it, but just carry it with you, then you are complying with the law. Cannot see how that can have any effect on drink driving. Seems a pointless law to me.

8-) Brian B.

ps Perhaps the government have just opened a breathalyser factory. (lol)

What you've evidently missed is the preceding discussions about the French breathalyser regulations, where the questions you've asked (and the points you've raised) came up repeatedly, despite (in my view) being perfectly adequately addressed first time around. If you browse through the relevant following threads, hopefully you'll agree:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=breathalyser&author=derek+Uzzell&days=&Submit=Search

If that's too much work, try this one (page 2 particularly):

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26437&start=1

Guest pelmetman
Where are they in the supermarket?...........had a look today in Forges les Eaux could'nt see them in the car section or the chemist bit :-S

donna miller - 2012-05-31 3:23 PM

Do you have to carry them if you are riding a motorbike? we're doing 3 weeks round europe next month and no-one seems sure.

Yes you do- it is only mopeds that are exempt. Also if it is over 125 you need to comply with High Viz/reflective strips from November as well.

Mike

pelmetman - 2012-05-31 4:05 PM

Where are they in the supermarket?...........had a look today in Forges les Eaux could'nt see them in the car section or the chemist bit :-S

Can't you ask the staff store? Where eeez the brethalizeeeeeeeeeeeeeer? :-D

donna miller - 2012-05-31 3:23 PM

Do you have to carry them if you are riding a motorbike? we're doing 3 weeks round europe next month and no-one seems sure.

It is only "cyclomoteurs" (mopeds) that are exempt from the new French regulation.

I'm trying to copy & paste below the actual regulation, which you can find on the internet as a pdf file, and which you can "Google translate":

Décrets, arrêtés, circulaires

TEXTES GÉNÉRAUX

MINISTÈRE DE L’INTÉRIEUR, DE L’OUTRE-MER,

DES COLLECTIVITÉS TERRITORIALES ET DE L’IMMIGRATION

Décret no 2012-284 du 28 février 2012 relatif à la possession obligatoire d’un éthylotest

par le conducteur d’un véhicule terrestre à moteur

NOR : IOCS1130720D

Publics concernés : conducteurs de véhicule terrestre à moteur.

Objet : obligation de détention d’un éthylotest pour tout conducteur de véhicule terrestre à moteur.

Entrée en vigueur : le texte entre en vigueur le 1er juillet 2012. Le défaut de possession d’un éthylotest sera sanctionné à partir du 1er novembre 2012.

Notice : le décret oblige tout conducteur d’un véhicule à posséder un éthylotest non usagé, disponible

immédiatement. L’éthylotest doit satisfaire aux conditions de validité, notamment sa date de péremption, prévues par le fabricant. Le conducteur d’un véhicule équipé par un professionnel agréé ou par construction d’un dispositif d’antidémarrage par éthylotest électronique ainsi que le conducteur d’un autocar équipé d’un tel dispositif est réputé en règle.

Références : le code de la route modifié par le présent décret peut être consulté, dans sa rédaction issue de cette modification, sur le site Légifrance (http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr).

Le Premier ministre,

Sur le rapport du ministre de l’intérieur, de l’outre-mer, des collectivités territoriales et de l’immigration,

Vu le code de la route, notamment ses articles L. 234-14, L. 234-17, R. 233-1, R. 234-2 et R. 317-24 ;

Vu le décret no 2008-883 du 1er septembre 2008 relatif aux éthylotests électroniques ;

Vu l’avis du groupe interministériel permanent de la sécurité routière en date du 9 décembre 2011 ;

Le Conseil d’Etat (section des travaux publics) entendu,

Décrète :

Art. 1er. - Après l’article R. 234-6 du code de la route, il est ajouté un article R. 234-7 ainsi rédigé :

« Art. R. 234-7. ?? Tout conducteur d’un véhicule terrestre à moteur, à l’exclusion d’un cyclomoteur, doit

justifier de la possession d’un éthylotest, non usagé, disponible immédiatement.

L’éthylotest mentionné au premier alinéa respecte les conditions de validité, notamment la date de

péremption, prévues par son fabricant. Il est revêtu d’une marque de certification ou d’un marquage du

fabricant déclarant sa conformité à un modèle bénéficiant d’une attestation de conformité aux normes dont les

références sont publiées au Journal officiel de la République française.

Sont considérés comme répondant à l’obligation prévue au premier alinéa, le conducteur d’un véhicule

équipé par un professionnel agréé ou par construction d’un dispositif d’antidémarrage par éthylotest

électronique homologué conformément à l’article L. 234-17 ainsi que le conducteur d’un autocar équipé d’un

dispositif éthylotest antidémarrage dans les conditions fixées à l’article R. 317-24. »

Art. 2. - L’article R. 233-1 du code la route est modifié comme suit :

1o Le premier alinéa du I est remplacé par la disposition suivante : « Lorsque les dispositions du présent

code l’exigent, tout conducteur est tenu de présenter à toute réquisition des agents de l’autorité compétente : » ;

2o Le I est complété par un alinéa ainsi rédigé : « 6o Un éthylotest dans les conditions prévues à l’article

R. 234-7. » ;

3o Au III, les mots : « les autorisations et pièces administratives exigées » sont remplacés par les mots : « les

éléments exigés » ;

4o Le V est ainsi rédigé :

« Hors le cas prévu au 6o du I, le fait, pour toute personne invitée à justifier dans un délai de cinq jours de la

possession des autorisations et pièces exigées par le présent article, de ne pas présenter ces documents avant

l’expiration de ce délai est puni de l’amende prévue pour les contraventions de la quatrième classe. »

1er mars 2012 JOURNAL OFFICIEL DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE Texte 12 sur 138

. .

Art. 3. - A l’exception des dispositions des 2o et 4o de l’article 2 qui entreront en vigueur le

1er novembre 2012, les dispositions du présent décret entreront en vigueur le 1er juillet 2012.

Art. 4. - Le garde des sceaux, ministre de la justice et des libertés, et le ministre de l’intérieur, de

l’outre-mer, des collectivités territoriales et de l’immigration sont chargés, chacun en ce qui le concerne, de l’exécution du présent décret, qui sera publié au Journal officiel de la République française.

Fait le 28 février 2012.

FRANÇOIS FILLON

Par le Premier ministre :

Le ministre de l’intérieur, de l’outre-mer, des collectivités territoriales et de l’immigration,

CLAUDE GUÉANT

Le garde des sceaux, ministre de la justice et des libertés,

MICHEL MERCIER

Every now and again a subject pops up which generates several threads, often with identical or overlapping information and opinions. (This is one - "A-frames" and "Aires v Sites" are two others that spring to mind).

As far as I can tell, there's no way for the Mods to "merge" these threads together - all they can do is delete threads or individual posts.

So PLEASE, everyone, if a topic is current, check back at least through the whole of p1 and see if there's already a thread you can add your 4p'th to, before you start another!

Archived