Floriade & Keukenhof gardens

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

We would like to visit both and I wonder if anyone has experience of these and convenient camping for both please?

We could go now or we could wait until our planned trip following the Rhine in August / September?

Any thoughts or experiences please folks?

Thanks.

Keukenhof is now closed for the season. We visited both and stayed at Konigshof for Keukenhof and Camping de Schatberg which was close to Floriade and could be cycled to from the site.Both took Camping Cheques when we visited in April.

We visited the last Floriade in 2002 in August and it was very colourful then. It might be best to wait till August since the spring flowers will have finished now and summer flowering might not have started.

Regards

Margaret

Just returned from Netherlands. Went to Floriade. Stayed at Camping Californie, only 15 min bike ride north of Floriade main entrance (I suppose 45 min if you walk!). Parking for bikes free but charge for vehicles. It's in the CC book.

Nice little site, very friendly owners who speak better English than I. 18 Euros per night for two people plus motorhome.

Interesting ablution blocks, brand new, each one self-contained toilet, washbasin and shower.

Used to be an asparagus farm. Still a few rustic smells, but hey, who cares.

I prebooked but it wasn't by any means crowded. email info@campingcalifornie.nl

I have a new, up-to-date Tom-Tom Europe but it didn't show the new motorway flyover created for Floriad so care is needed. Follow Grubbenvorst sign.

Guest Tracker
mirage - 2012-06-01 7:55 PM

Have you looked at what Floriade actually is, I`ve spoken to a few people who have been thinking it is a Dutch version of Chelsea apparently (I have`nt been) it is more of an enviromental show.

Well no, since you ask I haven't looked!

To be truthful I am not that bothered by gardens and flowers but SWMBO went about twenty years ago (long before she met me and her decline began!) and has wanted to go again ever since - so being the gentleman that I am (and knowing when to say yes!) I said that I would make some enquiries!

So I guess I had better look and see to make sure it is what she thinks it is and wants or that too will be my fault!

Anyone who uses that dreaded 'E' word immediately strikes fear into the minds of mere mortals like us!

Gee whiz - it's tough being a guy!!!!

Went to Keukenhof this year end of April brilliant ,but of course now that has finished ,but would recommend a visit next year.Campsite at Konnishof!!! nice site not cheap.

Been to Floriade twice its held every ten years(,think thats right) second time we went was not as good as first .If you are looking for flowers you need to go spring time ,last visit was as other post said more of green products than a flower show .This year its at Venlo ,near German border ,cheapest ticket is 25 euroes per person .My advise would be visit Keukenhof next year around end April ,loads of onsite day parking for vans.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just visited Floriade and stayed at the temporary Aire at:

North 51.37489 East 6.16005

the address is:

Horsterweg 84

Venlo-Blerick

Telephone: 0031 629271960

Website: http://www.kampeerautoplaats-floriade-venlo.nl/index.php?Taal=GB

the cost was €10 per night (the staff live on site in their own 'van and speak good English)

There is water, dumping and a toilet availabe (note the correct use of the singular!).

We were able to walk to to Floriade in 50 mins (there is a map at the Aire), by cycle it would be much quicker along designated cycleways).

Hope that this is of some help (written from a very wet France) .............. Michael

We were able to use Camping cheques when we stayed at Konigshof in mid April this year. We stayed at Noorduinen which is a sister site of Konigshof at the end of our trip and also took Camping cheques when we were there. I would definitely recommend trying to be there to see the Floral parade which was on 21st April this year. It was amazing. The bulb fields were also very good that weekend. We were advised not to go near Keukenhof that weekend as it would be mobbed.

Regards

Margaret

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tracker
spospe - 2012-06-11 9:10 PM

We have just visited Floriade and stayed at the temporary Aire at:

North 51.37489 East 6.16005

the address is:

Horsterweg 84

Venlo-Blerick

Telephone: 0031 629271960

Website: http://www.kampeerautoplaats-floriade-venlo.nl/index.php?Taal=GB

the cost was €10 per night (the staff live on site in their own 'van and speak good English)

There is water, dumping and a toilet availabe (note the correct use of the singular!).

We were able to walk to to Floriade in 50 mins (there is a map at the Aire), by cycle it would be much quicker along designated cycleways).

Hope that this is of some help (written from a very wet France) .............. Michael

Thanks Michael, and everyone, for your help.

After weeks of procrastination and dodging appointments and family 'does' we finally said 'let's just do it' this morning - so I booked a ferry to Dunkerque for Thursday and back next Tuesday!

We will use the Aire above and as we can't afford bikes, being poor pensioners, there is fortunately a bus service to the Floriade entrance.

Anyone else going this week / weekend?

We'll get our breathalysers either on the boat or in a supermarket on the way!!

We have just got back and quite enjoyed our trip. We stayed at Camping Californië which is just up the road. There were plenty of flowers out and bands playing music, not forgetting plenty of sunshine.

We did spend two days at floriade so that we did not have to rush it. We took packed lunches to help keep the costs down a little.

I would suggest you get your ticket online before you go, it does save on the queuing to get in.

Enjoy the trip

Guest Tracker

Just back and the local Aire run by a local Dutchman(Cees) and his lovely wife was fine and everyone was very friendly, talkative and helpful.

Cees took us in at 9.00 am and collected us at 6.00 pm in his car for a small consideration to save Dot some walking and by and large it was worth seeing. Dot saw it 10 years ago when it was near Amsterdam and her recollection (and others who had been before) was that it was nothing like as good as in the past - but a lot more expensive?

The 'contained' show site may well have been the claimed 60 hectares but a good two thirds of that was forest and woodland!

Anyone else going, I suggest that you don't bother with the cable car for 5 euros as it passes over mainly forest and, whilst we didn't use them, the circular electric hop on hop off buses for 6 euros might been more handy!

All in all a good weekend though and our thanks to everyone for their valued contributions to the thread.

Archived