GPS

degsy

I am looking for some (simple) advice as I'm about to purchase a gps for our motorcaravan. I appreciate there has been some recent discussion, at length, about the pros and cons of gps devices for motorhomes, most of which I have read and some I find a little confusing. After some consideration, I don't think I want 'bluetooth' as I don't have a bluetooth mobile phone. I don't want it to play music via an i-pod because and don't have an i-pod, we have a perfectly respectable radio/CD. I'm not sure if I want 'real time traffic info', 'safety camera warning', 'road condition data' and certainly not a famous or funny voice! I want accuracy, reliability, simple and straightforward information without 'fancy bells and whistles'. In short, I don't want it to do anything other than 'provide directional assistance on our journeys' principally in the UK but next year on the European mainland.

sounds like you need something like Garmin C320, check out 'gpsinformation.net' ( no www in front ) a mainly american site but still relavent to europe in a lot of cases ( but not the one i saw on here that you can't get in UK )

we have a Tomtom, the basic one. It would fulfill your needs I believe. it is very simple to operate, and in two years I have only gone wrong once. It is simply "plug and play" and can be moved around to any vehicle. it has it's own battery which can last about 5 hours. ps I don't work for them!! Using it this afternoon as off to Southern Spain for a fortnight. I suppose if it doesn't work I won't get back! :-D

Hi, if you only want to use it in the motorhome I would suggest you consider paying a bit more for a built in unit such as the VDO DAyton range or Pioneer systems. There are plenty to choose from but try before you buy as some are easier to program for destination than others. Yes you will have to pay more for a built in unit but the biggest benefit of portables is exactly that, they're portable! If you only intend to use it in the 'van then a built in unit will give you a larger screen that's easier to read quickly. Built in units are usually more accurate as they take a distance measure from the vehicle's road speed signal. this coupled with built in gyros means tha once calibrated (an automatic process) they can track your progress accurately even when they've lost GPS signal. My personal choice would be one of the VDO Dayton systems as in my experience they are the easiest to operate and have by far the best quality screens. D.

Hi, Do you have a laptop/notebook if you do and you take it with you you could consider Autoroute 2006 with GPS available at PC World for £99 we have used it both in the UK and France and it has been really great. you can also use the Laptop as a Flat Screen TV, DVD Player, and a Computer ?? also if you want you can get online ?? multi-use item with very little extra weight ? worth considering

Thanks to all for your comments they were most helpful. After much thought it looks as if we will opt for a Garmin c330 or a TomTom Go 510. I do have a laptop but it is six years old and lacks the necessary, small memory, no CD/DVD etc. so I think that rules that AA Autoroute option out. We do have another vehicle so portability may be an advantage. Cheers

Archived