Motorhome M.P.G. ( actual )

Wooie

I have a Hymer Corado A366 with 4000 on the clock. 2011 2.4 puma Ford Transit chassis.

I am getting around 25-27 cruising at 65, which I am happy with, but wondered which tuning modules were considered the best. I am expecting the engine to loosen up a little more, and probably get to around 28 mpg, but would like to see 33 with a module, which being a completely insane optimist, believe is possible. I don't drive it like I stole it, so think 30 must be possible.

WIll start collating figures.

Hi, thought we were the only ones who knew about Skin-so-Soft ! We have friends who run a small ranch in Nevada . They actually spray the horses rear ends to keep flies etc away with SsoS.

Just throwing in my my four penny-worth.

Cheers, SipsiBach in 'Sunny'Snowdonia.

We have the same van as Mel B, except on the wide track chassis. Generally we get 29mpg, but have had 34mpg, but I'm sure that we had a following wind and just timed the brim to brim fill well.

The variation depends on roads and when driving into the wind. We tend to travel at about 58mph on the motorway, with a burst to get past the trucks and not hold others up.

We also use the shell stuff.

Hawcara - 2012-06-08 3:37 PM

We have the same van as Mel B, except on the wide track chassis. Generally we get 29mpg, but have had 34mpg, but I'm sure that we had a following wind and just timed the brim to brim fill well.

The variation depends on roads and when driving into the wind. We tend to travel at about 58mph on the motorway, with a burst to get past the trucks and not hold others up.

We also use the shell stuff.

34 M.P.G....... nice 1.......lol........you`ll have people on here wanting to put you on a " Lie-Detector ",

and even then they`ll say you cheated !!

Meadows Engine - 2012-06-08 6:28 PM

Late at the party as usual, I have a 3850kg Murvi Morello with the 3 litre comfomatic set up and no matter what we have do with it it does 27 mpg, even when towing our Smart car on a trailer down to Spain for the winter.

Hope that helps

john

Hi John, and thanks for the input.

At this rate we`ll have the sub 20mpg brigade near suicidal !!!!!!!

Meadows Engine - 2012-06-08 6:28 PM

Late at the party as usual, I have a 3850kg Murvi Morello with the 3 litre comfomatic set up and no matter what we have do with it it does 27 mpg, even when towing our Smart car on a trailer down to Spain for the winter.

Hope that helps

john

Ah but, John, are you reading the avg MPG :D :D :D

Reset the trip mpg as the avg reading takes many miles to show even a small variation.

HI

we keep a petrol and sevice done log on all our trips and calculate our MPG as we go.

I must admit to being suprised when we took the Smart down to Spain on our trailer (normaly used for Microcars) and still got 27mpg. But I suposed we did travel a little more sedately than usual.

We don't worry about mpg, but any sudden changes in can alert us to probable future problems

If you run a motorhome you don't expect mega miles!!!

John

Trigano Tribute 550 Ducato HiTop 2.3diesel

34.6mpg

This is over the 5500miles I have done in the last 2 years. Mostly long runs cruising at 65-70mph, seldom less than 65 though. The overall average has only varied by about 0.2mpg. I log the miles and litres on my PC each time I fill.

Perhaps some of you are driving too slow? Engine revs are 2500 at 70mph.

Chris

(just back from France this afternoon)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I can guarantee I get a minimum 5 mpg extra whenever we go over to France, we even managed 38 mpg on one tank to tank fill, but never get more than around 30 mpg in the UK.

I have long wondered why this should be , my conclusion rightly or wrongly is their road surfaces for the most part seem to be a lot smoother. I always say when we hit the motorway from Calais that it's as if the van has been sound proofed because of the lack of road noise compared to the UK, and I wonder if it's because of less rolling resistance on their roads gives better fuel economy, I'd be interested to know others experiences if they notice the same. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2012-06-11 7:05 PM

I can guarantee I get a minimum 5 mpg extra whenever we go over to France, we even managed 38 mpg on one tank to tank fill, but never get more than around 30 mpg in the UK.

I have long wondered why this should be , my conclusion rightly or wrongly is their road surfaces for the most part seem to be a lot smoother. I always say when we hit the motorway from Calais that it's as if the van has been sound proofed because of the lack of road noise compared to the UK, and I wonder if it's because of less rolling resistance on their roads gives better fuel economy, I'd be interested to know others experiences if they notice the same. ;-)

Had not thought of that - :-o

We have generally put it down to the fact of less traffic volume enabling a smooth run at a consistant speed, as opposed to the constant deceleration acceleration mode in the UK.

1footinthegrave - 2012-06-11 7:05 PM

I always say when we hit the motorway from Calais that it's as if the van has been sound proofed because of the lack of road noise compared to the UK, and I wonder if it's because of less rolling resistance on their roads gives better fuel economy, I'd be interested to know others experiences if they notice the same. ;-)

I posted on this very subject around 18 months ago (though the research I did to support the impression was somewhat older than that).

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22288&posts=23

Archived