Zafira as a towcar

Can anyone give me some advice? I have a 2008 1.9CTDi Zafira as my wife is a childminder. I am looking to buy a Swift Challenger 514 with a MTPLM of 1380 but a MIRO of 1250. Now the Zafira has a towing limit of 1300 so my question is this. Can I carry most of my payload in the car. As there are just 2 of us the space in the car will be quite a capacity. Also I'm thinking of using a seasonal pitch so the towing will be minimal. If I go over the limit will my insurance be invalid?

I'm guessing that you're talking about a caravan; in which case you'll get a much better response if you post this in the caravan section, rather than here in the Motorhome section................

Yes you can providing you do not exceed your drive train weight limit. Also bear in mind the load on the rear suspension as you will already have 60-100kg loading it on the hitch, may be worth fitting suspension assisters.

I would also double check the Zafira's towing limits as some of the diesels have silly low limits much lower than petrol versions.

Archived