Reversing camera

aljen

I would like to know if it is possible to alter the built in rear camera angle. i have just changed to a Bessacarr 560 and went to drive it home yesterday and noticed that the camera just points down to the towbar. I like to see a little bit more behind the van and was wondering if anyone knew if how to access the camera housing and alter the position slightly.

Alan

The rear view photos of an E560 shown here

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2011-bessacarr-e560

suggest that the camera's inclination may be rigidly fixed.

I note from Swift's website that current Bessacarr E500 (and other) models now have a "twin view colour reversing camera which can be used en route" and related photos show differences in the camera housing's design to accommodate the camera revision.

I've no idea how difficult it will be to get into your E560's camera housing. Have you tried Swift Talk

http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/main/authorization/signIn?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swift-talk.co.uk%2F

as it's the sort of question that network was intended to handle?

Swift Talk is the place for the definitive answer. On my Swift the camera is behind a moulded cover. Remove the cover and it is possible to adjust the camera. Although you may have to make the aperture bigger.

A reversing camera is designed to look down at the bumper area. This gives you a view from each corner of the vehicle allowing you to reverse right up to an object. To facilitate this the camera lens will have a viewing angle of typically 120 degrees.

This is too great an angle of view for a backward facing camera. Objects at more than a distance of a few metres will appear very small.

The twin lens cameras have one lens at 90 degrees and the other at 120 degrees.

So even if you manage to reposition your camera you may be disappointed, especially if you reverse into a post located in the blind spot at either corner.

AliB - 2012-06-06 2:12 PM

Swift Talk is the place for the definitive answer. On my Swift the camera is behind a moulded cover. Remove the cover and it is possible to adjust the camera. Although you may have to make the aperture bigger...

Can you advise on how easy it is to remove the moulded cover through which the camera looks, as I think that's what aljen really wanted to establish?

hi guys

thanks for your replies, what ideally i would like to do is just adjust upwards slightly to allow sight of when it is safe to pull in after overtaking, especially trucks although most give a flash of lights. The last camera i had (Weaco) was set at the exact angle so when the vehicle dissapeared from the edge of the screen i knew it was safe to pull in. The camera fitted is just a single lens and the viewer is clipped over the sunshade and i could only just make out vehicles on either side, just the wheels tho. I was hoping looking at the camera housing and all i can see is the high level light just above this, all part of the housing( i think) so i might investigate taking the high level light out and see if that allows access to the camera housing

Alan

My cover is retained by 2 small screws. It is a 2008 Sundance 630L . The cover is completely different to the picture Derek posted which shows the latest silver (or grey) cover. So sorry not much help.

Just to let you know i managed to find out how to get into the camera housing. I suspected that the screws holding the high level brake light might be also holding the moulded plastic housing for the camera and this was the case. The housing is also held in place with velcro at the bottom and i managed to very gently get this to part. The camera is housed in a small plastic box and held in place with 2 grub screws in the casing. It looks like a fixed camera lens and i didnt take it apart to have a look, leaving well alone.After some experiments i found i could pack the side of the housing at the bottom to raise the whole unit up slightly and packed it around with foam and this has done the trick. Took it out for a trial run and i feel a lot better now that i can see about 20ft behind, still angled to see the bike rack and still safe when reversing.

Alan

My previous m/h was a 2009 bolero and the camera was housed in a loose panel that could be lifted up to get a view of following traffic. I used a strip of polystyrene to prop it up,the only problem now was rain could get in. A few plastic bags stuffed into the aperture did the trick, not pretty but we got all round france on a 5 week holiday.

Archived