Motorhome salesmen

Brock

In the last 17 years, I have bought 5 motorhomes. I have only ever met one female sales person and that was at Brownhills, Newark in the mid 90's. I would have bought from her but on my return, she was 'unavailable' and a male colleague tried to seal the deal.

All the other sales people have been members of a sub species of the alpha male. They tend to be macho but slothful, only coming to life when they see money. And they talk gibberish because they cannot memorise a motorhome's detailed specification but think you don't notice. Have they escaped from the car dealerships who now embrace equality and closed down the alpha male habitat?

Where are the females sales people?

Actually, the gender of a sales person is irrelevant to me but it would be nice to speak to someone who respected my wife as an individual, was interested in me, knew their motorhomes and simply not how to part us from our cash.

Guest Peter James
Derek Uzzell - 2012-06-06 4:12 PM

Male, female (even canine) sales staff

Are the canine staff in charge of refunds ;-)

Brock - 2012-06-06 3:29 PM

In the last 17 years, I have bought 5 motorhomes. I have only ever met one female sales person and that was at Brownhills, Newark in the mid 90's. I would have bought from her but on my return, she was 'unavailable' and a male colleague tried to seal the deal.

Ah, you're talking about the lovely Caroline - tall, slim and blond and very pleasant. Very nice and not pushy at all, we dealt with her when we bought our first new motorhome and she always said hi to us when we were at shows or back at the main site, she even remembered our dogs! Another very nice saleman, who wasn't pushy in the slightest, is Graham Swan, who is now at Lowdhams.

Mel, you are right about Caroline. We were looking to buy our first motorhome when we met her. Just think, we've bought 5 vans and had she been able to deal with us when we went back, she'd have remained our first choice for the others. As it was we went to Minsterley Motorhomes, a small family firm that is no longer in the motorhome business, and bought an Elddis Voyager 2.

Thanks for the recommendations for Morans. Ludlow's a bit far from the Wirral and their brands are not a good fit for what we need. However, Ludlow's a great place and I'm sure if our needs change or their brands change layouts to something that suits us, I think we can potter down there.

Brock - 2012-06-06 3:29 PM

All the other sales people have been members of a sub species of the alpha male. They tend to be macho but slothful, only coming to life when they see money. And they talk gibberish because they cannot memorise a motorhome's detailed specification but think you don't notice. Have they escaped from the car dealerships who now embrace equality and closed down the alpha male habitat?

Where are the females sales people?

Actually, the gender of a sales person is irrelevant to me but it would be nice to speak to someone who respected my wife as an individual, was interested in me, knew their motorhomes and simply not how to part us from our cash.

Having spent over 40 years in sales, I think your points are not only relative to Motorhome salespeople. I think the whole standard of sales people has diminshed over a period of time across the whole spectrum. The main reason for this is because in this country sales people are looked upon as 2nd rate people just trying to take your money off you by 'closing' you as soon as possible before you go somewhere else and buy.

In America, 'sales' is looked upon as a very important occupation and sales people are held in high regard-thus the standards of hiring/developing/training of salespeople is much higher, as are the rewards.

I was always taught that we have one mouth and two ears and to use those organs in the correct ratio when dealing with a customer-also that the customer is always right (sometimes difficult, awkward, penny pinching or downright bloody stupid but alway right!)

However, if you just employ 'sales people' to close sales and don't train, develop, motivate and reward accordingly you are not going to get the right calibre of person nor are you going to keep the right person for any length of time if you do manage to find one.

What should be explained to salespeople is that if a person comes to a dealership then he/she is 'in the market' This is the most blatant buying signal there is! The next stage of the cycle is to convince them that you have the best overall package to offer them. The cheapest deal is not always the best deal but by asking questions of the buyer they can find out exactly what is important to them in particular. The 'gift of the gab' is ancient history-the ability to listen is the future in sales and then the ability to tailor a package to suit the buyer and also make a profit for your company is the only way forward. ie don't sell to them-get them to buy from you.

Furthermore the sales cycle doesn't end at the point of sale-it is only just starting-it needs to be backed up with an aftersales service second to none to make sure when the time comes to update/upgrade the customer will automatically think to come back to you

I wouldn't hold out much hope though because unless it's easy to close most don't seem interested anyway-I recently posted on here about trying to buy a £70k van and nobody bothered to contact me after my original enquiry only to recieve replies from people connected with the motorhome industry telling me it's easy to lose contact details, stop 'bleating' on here and keep emailing and telephoning the dealer.

Mike

Mike, thanks for that. I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is a grand sight watching a professional sales person in action. It's like watching any skilled person practise his or her trade.

In the long term, most repeat business is cheaper than chasing new customers - we used to call those that went just for the cheapest price, 'promiscuous customers' because they were expensive to seduce, rarely satisfied and as loyal as anyone working the street.

Good sales people are worth their weight in gold if the firm looks at the long term. Perhaps the better salespeople work for the better firms who treat them well. I will continue my search for dealers who understand how to influence the sale.

I have sent my most recent observation off to the dealership in question.

Mike B. - 2012-06-06 9:39 PM I recently posted on here about trying to buy a £70k van and nobody bothered to contact me after my original enquiry only to recieve replies from people connected with the motorhome industry telling me it's easy to lose contact details, stop 'bleating' on here and keep emailing and telephoning the dealer.Mike

Mike, yes I remember that thread, and you may remember that I posted about a so called 'salesman' who didn't bother to open a spreadsheet attached to an e-mail I sent him, this spreadsheet listed all the options the vehicle manufacturer offered together with a column listing my preference (yes or no) because he didn't (or couldn't) open the sheet he ordered the vehicle with the wrong options, I had to refuse it and it delayed my van conversion by six months!!!!

That would never happen in America, or Germany, or Switzerland, but I have to agree it might happen in Outer Mongolia lol

Losos - 2012-06-10 4:06 PM
Mike B. - 2012-06-06 9:39 PM I recently posted on here about trying to buy a £70k van and nobody bothered to contact me after my original enquiry only to recieve replies from people connected with the motorhome industry telling me it's easy to lose contact details, stop 'bleating' on here and keep emailing and telephoning the dealer.Mike

Mike, yes I remember that thread, and you may remember that I posted about a so called 'salesman' who didn't bother to open a spreadsheet attached to an e-mail I sent him, this spreadsheet listed all the options the vehicle manufacturer offered together with a column listing my preference (yes or no) because he didn't (or couldn't) open the sheet he ordered the vehicle with the wrong options, I had to refuse it and it delayed my van conversion by six months!!!!

That would never happen in America, or Germany, or Switzerland, but I have to agree it might happen in Outer Mongolia lol

Shame isn't it the way things have gone? What people don't seem to realise is that without salepeople we are NEVER going to get out of the mess this country/Europe/World is in because no matter how good your product is, if you haven't got somebody to sell it how will anybody ever know? Advertising is ok but never answers all the questions-if it did then this forum would be obsolete immediately! :'( :'( Still at least I made a couple of bob over the years and as things aren't going up too much I can spend it now. Unfortunately my savings aren't going up much either!MikePS Never did get the van (or the reply)-was obviously too much trouble-am off to France next week, will see how interested they are there! Might be back on here for advice on importing next month!

Brock - 2012-06-06 8:33 PM

Mel, you are right about Caroline. We were looking to buy our first motorhome when we met her. Just think, we've bought 5 vans and had she been able to deal with us when we went back, she'd have remained our first choice for the others. As it was we went to Minsterley Motorhomes, a small family firm that is no longer in the motorhome business, and bought an Elddis Voyager 2.

Thanks for the recommendations for Morans. Ludlow's a bit far from the Wirral and their brands are not a good fit for what we need. However, Ludlow's a great place and I'm sure if our needs change or their brands change layouts to something that suits us, I think we can potter down there.

Ludlow is a lovely place and worth the drive,we go there at least twice a year. Since Discover at Delamere and Brownhills at Preston have closed its getting difficult,leaving only Spinney. Unless you are after panel vans there's Leisuredrive.

Archived