Fiamma F45 Ti

spike

Hi Spike

just had word with my OH. He took ours apart, as it went over the roof!!, he took it off the van (2 person job)

, says it's very simple to re asemble, The red bit (I think you are refering to?) Does not work on ours, but still the awning works. Fiamma parts are easy to acquire. If you need his advice, just Pm us, we are in France at moment but have FREE wi-fi, so no problem for a day or two

PJay

PJay - 2012-06-11 4:13 PM

Hi Spike

just had word with my OH. He took ours apart, as it went over the roof!!, he took it off the van (2 person job)

, says it's very simple to re asemble, The red bit (I think you are refering to?) Does not work on ours, but still the awning works. Fiamma parts are easy to acquire. If you need his advice, just Pm us, we are in France at moment but have FREE wi-fi, so no problem for a day or two

PJay

Hi,

Hope the weather is better were you are than it is here.

As it happens, I’ve had the awning off in the past to do a small repair on the bodywork. When we were away a few weeks ago I rolled the awning up before setting off home, and the little red tab, spring and part of the housing fell on the floor. As the red tab is there to stop the awning from opening on its own (not something recommended on the motorway) I secured it with duck tape. I was hoping that I could get the end cap and winder off in situ so as to replace the damaged part. Fiamma have plenty of spare part catalogues online, but no instructions.

If you did dismantle that part, can you tell me if anything is there that I should know about such as a lurking spring loaded part that is liable to throw me off the ladder?

No! there are no surpises with flying springs. The end caps are clipped on but sometimes have a plastic rivet at the top. Its all fairly modular after that but trick is to tie the awning arms so it can only open about a foot or so. Try and find something to lodge the rolled up awning and roller in place when you remove the end plate asembly.

By the way the red plunger DOES NOT hold the awning shut. It is a marker flag to show it is fully closed. The clutch mechanism in the winder unit holds it closed.

Brambles - 2012-06-11 10:34 PM

No! there are no surpises with flying springs. The end caps are clipped on but sometimes have a plastic rivet at the top. Its all fairly modular after that but trick is to tie the awning arms so it can only open about a foot or so. Try and find something to lodge the rolled up awning and roller in place when you remove the end plate asembly.

By the way the red plunger DOES NOT hold the awning shut. It is a marker flag to show it is fully closed. The clutch mechanism in the winder unit holds it closed.

Excellent! Thank you. Feel a bit happier now that I know the awning is not going to open up on me. As for the dismantling of the end cap and winder, what would you recommend the best position of the awning to be in whilst doing the repair, closed up, partly extended or fully extended?

spike - 2012-06-11 11:17 PM

Excellent! Thank you. Feel a bit happier now that I know the awning is not going to open up on me. As for the dismantling of the end cap and winder, what would you recommend the best position of the awning to be in whilst doing the repair, closed up, partly extended or fully extended?

Open a foot or so to enable the arms to be tied with a loop of cord so they cannot open any further. Do it at the none centre hinge ends , Its probably more comvenient to tie the loop around the middle of the arms and slide to the ends or at least more than half way towards the end. Then to make sure open the awning further to make sure the loops are doing their job. If you attempt to tie with awning too far open then they just slide towards the centre again. The awning will only open as far as the loops allow..make sure they will not slide because of the angle of teh arms..they should not of it is just open a foot or so. Now the next problem is when you remove the bracket you are trying to replace. The roller can now fall out along with the material. So you need to hold this in place. Best to remove bracket with one hand holding the awning roller in place until you one handed replace the bracket with the new one so do not leave on the ground out of reach. You will manage it, its fairly self evident when you start the doing the job.

You could do it with the awning fully extended but then you have the weight of the material sagging down and any gust of wind and you will pull the roller right out of position so not a safe way of doing it.

Brambles - 2012-06-11 11:55 PM

spike - 2012-06-11 11:17 PM

Open a foot or so to enable the arms to be tied with a loop of cord so they cannot open any further. Do it at the none centre hinge ends , Its probably more comvenient to tie the loop around the middle of the arms and slide to the ends or at least more than half way towards the end. Then to make sure open the awning further to make sure the loops are doing their job. If you attempt to tie with awning too far open then they just slide towards the centre again. The awning will only open as far as the loops allow..make sure they will not slide because of the angle of teh arms..they should not of it is just open a foot or so. Now the next problem is when you remove the bracket you are trying to replace. The roller can now fall out along with the material. So you need to hold this in place. Best to remove bracket with one hand holding the awning roller in place until you one handed replace the bracket with the new one so do not leave on the ground out of reach. You will manage it, its fairly self evident when you start the doing the job.

You could do it with the awning fully extended but then you have the weight of the material sagging down and any gust of wind and you will pull the roller right out of position so not a safe way of doing it.

Thank you very much

Archived