mercedes 3 litre fuel consumption

rapido girl

2.9 litre Merc Sprinter van engine

We have this engine in our Kia Sedona and tow a large caravan with it, the caravan is usually overloaded but we still managed 25/26mpg over a 6000 mile tour of Italy/Austria/Germany

Hope this helps

Hi, we have the 3 litre engine with auto and 3880kg chassis. Average over 14000 miles to date has been between 21 and 22 mpg. Can get to 25/26 mpg driving gently at about 50mph or as low as 18mpg that we got today on a fast 300 miles motorway dash from the ferry at hull back up to Edinburgh!

You pays your money and makes your choice .....

Bill

Guest Tracker

Fuel consumption needs to be taken in context with all the other factors involved in owning and running these expensive toys.

Of far greater significance is depreciation which can be frightening, especially in the first year whilst the dealer profit is taken account of and here it pays to get the right deal on the right layout of van rather than major on a few mpg one way or another.

Another factor is how many miles you will do in the expected duration of your ownership of the van and whether a few mpg either way will make that much difference to you using it.

The sheer joy of driving a more powerful and well made van is another unquantifiable aspect and can be well worth an mpg or three in itself!

On balance may I suggest that unless you will do a huge mileage or go full timing actual mpg is less of an issue that it is with a car.

Hope that helps?

The well tried and tested Merc 2.9 will NEVER let you down, we have done well over 100,000 miles in our with absolutely no problems at all. On the button every time, loads of lowdown power too

Guest Tracker
Syd - 2012-06-19 11:36 AM

The well tried and tested Merc 2.9 will NEVER let you down, we have done well over 100,000 miles in our with absolutely no problems at all. On the button every time, loads of lowdown power too

I know you love Mercs Syd but it is not fair to say it will never let you down!

For the sort of mileages we do when compared to white van man I don't really thing long term reliability is such an issue with any make?

Having used many Ford, Bedford, Talbot, Peugeot and Fiat engines over many years I have never had any engine let me down or need anything other than servicing.

rapido girl - 2012-06-19 8:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Bit of a shock though! Maybe I had better look into the 2.2.............

You will pay a price premium to get the Mercedes base. You will pay another to get the 3.0 litre engine. If you are about average in your use of your van you will cover only around 6,000 miles per year. If your van does 21 mpg instead of 28 mpg the extra fuel used over that mileage at todays prices would cost you approximately £500 per year.

Fuel consumption will vary according to your style of driving, the frontal area of the van, its weight, its tyre pressures, the weather, and the terrain you are driving in. However, if your particular van happens to be one that returns 21mpg on average, it is unlikely to vary much from that figure whatever engine is fitted, all other things being equal.

The amount of fuel consumed by an engine depends mainly on how hard you make it work. How hard it has to work is what varies as above, and that is what causes the variations in fuel consumed. More powerful engines enable people to drive, and accelerate, faster, simply because they do so with less obvious effort than smaller engines. In effect, you don't notice you are doing it. On the other hand smaller engines, although they give greater notice that they are being worked hard, and to that extent may somewhat restrain the driver, will always be working harder than a more powerful equivalent under similar driving conditions.

However, it is likely that under similar driving conditions the more powerful engine working in a relaxed way will use less, rather than more, fuel per mile than a smaller engine that is working harder. The problem for most people is that given the larger, more powerful engine, they will squander its economic advantage by simply using more of its available power. For a vehicle such as a motor caravan, there is no physical rule that says a smaller engine will use less fuel than a larger one.

If the 3.0 litre Merc base is what you want get it, and don't worry that you could have saved fuel with a smaller engine. You probably would not have - though any fuel saving the larger engine gives will be extremely unlikely ever to equate to the cost difference between the two! :-)

Syd - 2012-06-19 11:36 AM

Syd your Sedona engine is basicly a merc block adapted by Kia not really a merc. I'm on my second Sedona and I wouldn't say they are that reliable the first one certainly wasn't.

Hi,

I have a Rapido 3 litre auto gvw 3880kg with an awning, sat. dish and towbar that all reduce mpg. Since taking delivery ( at 6259 miles) I have covered 7454 miles and used 1437.55 litres which works out, I think, at about 23.57 mpg. Mostly travelling well laden but rarely fast.

I hope this helps.

Rodger

Our LeVoyageur 3 ltr Merc uses 9.3 liters per100 kilometers

Average speed 60 mph,

At 70 mph it uses 10.7 per 100 kilometers.

Its a manual and our last 2 were autos, which were much heavier on fuel, very low 20s

Dennis

Guest pelmetman
Huckleberry - 2012-06-21 9:15 PM

Hi,

I have a Rapido 3 litre auto gvw 3880kg with an awning, sat. dish and towbar that all reduce mpg. Since taking delivery ( at 6259 miles) I have covered 7454 miles and used 1437.55 litres which works out, I think, at about 23.57 mpg. Mostly travelling well laden but rarely fast.

I hope this helps.

Rodger

Progress eh? :D

Guest pelmetman
onecal - 2012-06-23 10:07 PM

Hi,

Yes with Mercedes reliability as well :-D
Regards,
Brendan

You believe the spin as well 8-)

Friend of mine has a WVM sprinter 24,000 and three months out of warentee, snapped a rear spring, asked for some 'consideration' as it is low milage, Mercs answer is hard luck. Don't think he'll buy another as the previous one he had cost IIRC about £2000 to get an injector changed due to the crap design.

Guest pelmetman
onecal - 2012-06-23 10:46 PM

Hi,

I have given you accurate figures in my post, (no 31MPG) van maybe? but we are talking about Motorhomes here,my figures are  as OP asked, for an A Class.
Regards,
Brendan

Mines a 22 year old coachbuilt :D...............progress eh? (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived