Best TV for a camper

Guest JudgeMental

Meos has poor viewing angle but OK when viewed straight on. Viewed from the side the picture resembles a black and white negative photo.

The sound on most if not all small flatscreen TVs is invariably tinny. My MEOS is has a DVD and USB slot but am looking to replace it probably with an Avtex due to the poor viewing angle.

Check the viewing angle on any TV you propose buying.

Eddie, personally I wouldn't get too het up about having to have a HD one - on a small screen TV you won't really notice the difference.

We had a cheapie TV but got an Avtex (cheap off Ebay from Brownhills of all places!), and I can honestly say that you do get what you pay for, whilst the cheapie was fine, it suffered from being 'quiet' and the viewing angle wasn't great and it sometimes was 'selective' about which DVDs it would play. The Avtex, on the other hand, hasn't been a problem at all, the sound and picture quality are excellent, it is very easy to set up and use. I wouldn't have paid the silly price for them normally, but for what we did pay (£152.34) we are extremely happy with it.

Some previous threads about Avtex:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25152&posts=15

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27255&posts=7

"maybe the HD avetex should be out...."

It is out. The one we have is the new 21.5 with HD sat receiver and upscales standard def to 720p. Excellent picture and as I said above the sound is also great. It also has the built in FM transmitter so can transmit direct to cab or stand alone radio so you can have a closer or "surround sound" effect.

Apparently the 1st wave of them came by air and the rest are on the way be sea.

We put our old 19" Avtex from the 'van into the kitchen as we had a Samsung there with a great picture but the sound was inaudible above the sounds of food being cremated. Now happy bunny in both the 'van and the kitchen.

The only drawback is the fact that (as with a lot of other new tellys) it doesn't have a scart or composite input for old tech gear like VCRs or older camcorders.

Just bought 19 in HD with all bells and whistles plus DVD player from JTF. 69 plus VAT.V. pleased with qual. has scart and further 8 input sources and USB and loads up my hard drive with FAT32 file system.Has day before and day coming EPG and is really light. You need inverter but max power is only 40 Watts.

Just a thought.

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2012-07-01 2:02 AM

"maybe the HD avetex should be out...."

It is out. The one we have is the new 21.5 with HD sat receiver and upscales standard def to 720p. Excellent picture and as I said above the sound is also great. It also has the built in FM transmitter so can transmit direct to cab or stand alone radio so you can have a closer or "surround sound" effect.

Apparently the 1st wave of them came by air and the rest are on the way be sea.

what model is this please Bernie...I would need a smaller one

Hi Ed

It is the L215DRS. The S being satellite. There are still some of the non sat ones about but this model is replacing the older one which hasn't got sat receiver. Some of the other sizes have both models still being produced and sold.

Surprisingly this 21.5" takes up the same space as our older 19" model which being somewhat thicker required more space across the available cupboard space. That extra 2.5" makes a heck of a difference to the picture (we are tennis fans and we can at least see the ball on the new one).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned CELLO TV. There are brilliant TV made almost exclusively for the motorhome use. It's multi-standard, it has a Freeview and a Freesat tuners plus a douzen of Sat already programmed in. It works for me as far est as Budapest. No need for a separate box, like sky or Humax, just select the sat you want and adjust the parabole and off you go. it takes me no more than 2 mns to get the signal and hey presto BBC, ITV etc....wonderfill machine ...It's an LED tv with a max consumption of 58w, works on 12v direct from the leisure battery, its full HD, it gat a DVD player, USB recording and and and..I got carried away!....and the price for a 19inch? 210pounds. Half the price of some top TV metioned here... JudgeMental do have a look at it, you may like it...the sound by the way is good, its has two speakers.....AND the're British and British made....

Archived