Best TV for a camper

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

want to get a TV to mount in van . Sound quality as important to me as picture..nothing worse than a tinny TV. I also have a pocket size hard drive with all my movies/tv series/audio books etc.. on. This needs two USB connections. one for power and one to access content.

Do these new TVs have two USB ports? or what can I do to get around this....

also what is the best TV for a motorhome do you think, happy to look at all alternatives

Hi Judge, I have a 15" Meos TV with DVD/CD slot and as a USB port.It also as a SD memory card slot. I think you could get a double USB adapter if wanted. Chose this TV because it uses very little 12v power, and picture and sound quality seem great to me. It is also very light in weight, not like the Thompson one I had.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks! if you google motorhome TVs the Meos pops up all over the place...I might try and see one. my hearing deterioraring (along with the rest of moi*-)) so sound quality important.

Have already got around the twin usb HD issue and ordered a 16gb usb stick for a tenner :-D

I doubt avetex make own screens anyway,,,anyone have an idea as what screen it is?

Helloooooooooo Judge , On Sunday we bought two 18inc Avtex . Brilliant wanted them again we sold the last one with the old camper . All I know is they have CD USB HD and can be used as screens ,lots more stuff 12v ect

Brilliant sound and quality of picture is what sold it to us we were not sorry with the last one so hopefully we have chosen correctly again *-)

Been stuck Eddie, and you know with the kids its just nice sometimes to have a little Sky news or background especially cartoons and Cbb's this Tv has never let us down.

The only thing that has has been having trouble because of trees finding a sat signal , no worries we have DVD's ..its been a good tv so far hence why we bought two at brownhills on Sunday .

they were not cheap but depends on what you call cheap . £399 each but the lady threw in two cases with the soft packing £20 each for free. :D First thing I have even had from Brownhills :D :D :D

Guest JudgeMental

I can assure you NOTHING is free from brownills!lol

TV is bedroom not much cop, so do they do a mount so you can put it on a chest? as they look like they are just for wall mounting

yep they do . I have no idea what he will use but boys and toys ,I leave all that to him.

It will be a wall mounted bracket of some sort though. In the newone we have a purpose made place for it to go in so we are really pleased.

looked around a few at BHills and were most suprised that in some they provide not only a place for Tv to go but also the bracket. We moaned together about the fact of why do they still supply them damm silly units with them dam silly conentina doors on . Not many people use an actuall Tv anymore square telly anyway . useless waste of space IMHO.

Guest JudgeMental
onecal - 2012-06-27 6:44 PM

Hi,

Yes Avtex good picture and sound,,,,should have all the connections you need Ed,
Regards,
Brendan

Ta:-D

Amazon looking best for them...anyone suggest elsewhere please?

....depends which model. If you want the one with the built-in FTA satellite receiver, John Lewis are just off the pace with price, but as usual offer a 5 year warranty, as opposed to the standard 1 year. 16" or 18".

(though I would check it is the satellite-compatible one - the model number is correct, but it doesn't mention the satellite receiver in the text).

Eddie - check whichever TV you're interested in will definitely play your existing films etc from a USB stick, some will, some won't, whilst some will but only if the film etc was originally recorded via that actualy TV! *-)

Most LED tvs have poor sound as the cases are very thin and there aint a lot of space for the speakers.

The Avtex not only has quite good sound from the internal speakers but also has an FM broadcast signal. That means it can output without cables to your dash radio so you can have the radio speakers playing the content. (or you could output to a small FM radio and use headphones if you are likely to need the sound too loud on a crowded camp site)

Note - We have the new 21.5" with HD sat receiver and though the speakers are now downward firing instead of forward on the older models the sound is great. Note 2: - I have just had a hearing test and am about to get 2 hearing aids and I have no problem with the Avtex on it's own (without the cab speakers added) whereas I can't hear the sound from our lounge telly even through a Bose sound system.

I have listened to many of the other LED offerings and been less than impressed with the audio even if the picture has been good - at least with the Avtex both are good but the price is a bit rich. For me it was worth every penny to be able to hear it.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2012-06-27 6:51 PM

Only way to get good sound is to wire the audio via your head unit and then you can add a sub woofer, our sub woofer is under the bed, wind the base up it turns the bed into a massage parlour. :D :D :D

YAH MON! DAT BASS BOOSTER! :D

JudgeMental - 2012-06-27 5:54 PM

TV is bedroom not much cop, so do they do a mount so you can put it on a chest?

But Eddie, won't that make it hard for Mrs Mental to breathe? And if you have that sub-woofer (isn't that a breed of dog?) under the bed it won't be easy to get to sleep.

(Personal answer to your OP: NONE. Just don't. Plenty of time to watch telly at home.)

Guest JudgeMental
Tony Jones - 2012-06-28 12:52 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-06-27 5:54 PM

TV is bedroom not much cop, so do they do a mount so you can put it on a chest?

But Eddie, won't that make it hard for Mrs Mental to breathe? And if you have that sub-woofer (isn't that a breed of dog?) under the bed it won't be easy to get to sleep.

(Personal answer to your OP: NONE. Just don't. Plenty of time to watch telly at home.)

not really for TV just movies and tv series when away.....

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey Flicker that is very handy!

The Foehn & Hirsch looks excellent value at £250 and best full HD screen of the bunch. It lacks a DVD slot but can connect laptop to it via HDMI. only probelem being 22 inch probably to big.....

was looking a the latest all singing and dancing Avtex, but the above looks a better TV

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Flicka! The erm.. Foehn & Hirsch sound more exotic they they actually are!lol

they are EBuyers own label...and they dont seem to have stock. but saying that at least they are full HD whereas the £400 avetex are not *-)

very handy review that, the avtex with digital and analogue tuners is handy for Spain, as site we were on most UK stations like BBC and C5 where on analogue

I dont need it for summer trip as we are touring, so laptop fine. will leave it until we get back in September and maybe the HD avetex should be out....

Archived