Resin drives - anyone had one done?

Mel B

Well said Rich!

I posted above as we have 1 of these RESIN BONDED and to say we are not happy bunnies would be an understatement.

As well as it breaking up it is now riddled with moss which we can't get out - we can kill it but the dead residue has to stay, as if we try to get it out it brings more of the drive with it. Now it is an even more unsightly mess!

Barge poles aint long enough.

ouch! Obviously I am biased but I am also honest! One size does not fit all! Not all surfaces are suitable!

I did not elaborate as I was not trying to sell - I was trying to educate and it is very easy to appear to be selling when I am not. Drive-Cote is our business and we have worked hard over the last 10 years to establish ourselves in the market place, however there are a number of companies who have jumped on the band waggon and are giving Resin - both BONDED and BOUND - a bad reputation - for whatever reason - poor workmanship, incorrect installation, inferior products - just to name some reasons!

It is the same as a lot of things- people only remember the bad - hence my making comments on the forum. If I can just clarify - BONDED when laid correctly, with the correct preparation, with the corrrect installers should not allow moss (it is impermeable) and is applied to existing surfaces such as tarmac and concrete. BOUND when laid correctly, with the correct preparation, with the correct installers will allow moss as it is porous and should not be installed on concrete or tarmac surfaces.

I am not trying to convince you or anyone to buy or have it I am only trying to put "the other side of the coin" so to speak. There is usually a reason why the resin is not "working" and perhaps these companies need to be approached and told? If they are worth their salt they should certainly be contactable.

Sorry to hear that!

Unfortunately it is a very tough climate and perhaps if it had not been as tough they may have still been in business and would have been able to sort your situation. However from what you have said you are not happy with it anyway and quite understandably this bad experience has "reinforced" this.

I do wonder if though if it is Bonded or Bound? Because Bonded is impermeable and water cannot get though (if applied correctly) then moss and weeds should not really adhere and this makes Bonded the correct option for resurfacing as opposed to Bound (which is permeable and therefore allows the water to drain through and sit on the surface below and blow ) causing it to break up.

Obviously there is also the fact that it was just a bad job in the first place! Irrelevant of bound or bonded!

Resin has been used extensively around the London Olympic stadium (not by us I will add) and in the right place and applied correctly is an excellent product.

Shame you have had such a bad and no doubt costly experience!

• 2 years later...
Not sure what you guys are on about I had a Resin Bound driveway done 4 years ago and its absolutely fantastic Never seen a weed or a bit of moss EVER . Resin Bound drives are porous so the water drains straight through and into the natural water table unlike the bonded drives. My drive was about 100m2 and it cost me about £4900. As long as the levels are correct you will have no problems whatsoever I have seen some horror stories about Bonded drives where the stones come off There are loads on the internet. Not going to mention any names but Resin Bound is the only application to have as it is so hard wearing and looks wonderful. My neighbour had just had his done by the same company and paid around the same as me although had a few quotes in offering to do the job at a much cheaper price but having seen mine over the last 4 years went with the same people. You only get what you pay for I guess

• 1 year later...
Guest Griffin

Dear all, I felt that I must ad to thread that if a resin driveway weather resin bound or bonded is installed correctly and a good quality resin is used as well as a good clean aggregate then there should be no problem. Unfortunately like many trades, over recent years there have been a few people that have professed to be able to undertake the installation and process of laying resin bonded driveways just to earn a quick bit of cash and have used either cheap resin or an aggregate that didn't come from a reputable supplier.

The art of in stalling a professional Resin Bound Surface or Driveway comes from many years in the trade/game and can not just be picked up over night or even learnt from a few days training, you need to employ an experienced company that has many years experience, which brings me to why I have added to this thread and am willing to answer any of your questions.

For note only have I been installing Resin Bonded Driveways for over 15 years but also Resin Bound Driveways and Permeable Driveways. I hold the U.K and European patents in Resin Bound Paving as well as trademarks and have installed many hundreds of Resin Drives, Resin Bonded Driveways and Resin Bound Driveways.

Please take a look at our Website http://www.theresinbondedslabcompany.co.uk and or if I can be of any assistance to anyone then please ask and I shall try and answer all your questions.

Roy

• 4 weeks later...

Just had one done 5/6weeks ago, it's the porous type. We have a problem in that it smells a lot, particularly when the weather is dry, sunny, windy etc. We accepted that there was a smell initially after it had been laid but now after 5/6 weeks it is no better. Any ideas why this should be and how long it will take for the odour to cease. I assume the the resin has to cure?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, my name is John Webb and I've done driveways for the last 35 years and resin bound is the best driveway product I've ever used its longer lasting than any driveway product I've ever used. I done my first resin driveway 13 years ago and still to this day there's not a weed,sink,or crack or colour loss or stone loss don't understand why so many people complaining on this site about resin bound when it is the best driveway money can buy think all if you's need change your builders/ pavers (www.johnwebbpavingcontractors.com

Hi, my name is John Webb and I've done driveways for the last 35 years and resin bound is the best driveway product I've ever used its longer lasting than any driveway product I've ever used. I done my first resin driveway 13 years ago and still to this day there's not a weed,sink,or crack or colour loss or stone loss don't understand why so many people complaining on this site about resin bound when it is the best driveway money can buy think all if you's need change your builders/ pavers (www.johnwebbpavingcontractors.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have a simple 'all concrete' drive. Its been there 50 years. Would never have any other material. I can remove anything that drops onto it very easily. Its functional and can take 7 ton trucks.

Appearance ... I don't look at it and if others don't like it then tough, it works for us.

Archived